Rosso Volterra/Focal Kanta N°3

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
I know a couple guys on here own or have owned these speakers.

Can you give me your thoughts on them? Don’t need to be a book, just to the point, also would like to know if you used a sub with them, what sub and why.

Game changers for you? happy you moved forward?

Thanks..

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Whoa . . . Step’n up your game

Congrats
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Have you heard the Volterra II’s? Once you do I have a feeling you will be hooked. I currently have Skips demo pair. Mine were shipped from Italy yesterday.
    I am still getting use to them. They are so much more refined than my previous speakers.
    I am also running a pair of REL Carbons. Have been using the subs about 50% of the time. Not made a decision if I need them but I will not be getting rid of them just for the times I want a bit extra.
    Happy to talk you thru my progression. Let me know if you want to chat.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Whoa . . . Step’n up your game

Congrats

Not quite yet, but making plans.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Have you heard the Volterra II’s? Once you do I have a feeling you will be hooked. I currently have Skips demo pair. Mine were shipped from Italy yesterday.
    I am still getting use to them. They are so much more refined than my previous speakers.
    I am also running a pair of REL Carbons. Have been using the subs about 50% of the time. Not made a decision if I need them but I will not be getting rid of them just for the times I want a bit extra.

That’s awesome, congrats!! I will definitely reach out especially when you get yours. B) Skip is who I would reach out to if and when I pull a trigger. I have thoughts on what I want to do, but I would need to shuffle and thin some things out of the house as well..
  • tratliff
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

That’s awesome, congrats!! I will definitely reach out especially when you get yours. B) Skip is who I would reach out to if and when I pull a trigger. I have thoughts on what I want to do, but I would need to shuffle and thin some things out of the house as well..

I am so excited to get mine. They are a custom color and should look awesome. I have been really impressed with the demo pair I currently have. And Skip, AudioThesis, provides the best customer service/support in the industry.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again here: The Volterra’s are my favorite speakers. I haven’t heard a ton is speakers, but I’ve been to LSAF at least three times so it’s not like I haven’t heard other great speakers. I think the Volterra are very “natural” and “accurate”. They just do everything right IMO. They are a speaker that you could listen to all day, then wake up the next day and do it again. I run the little brother, the Fiesole, but I hope to one day own a pair of Volterra.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    Options
    I own the Volterra 2's and all I can say is I can't afford the speaker that it would take to beat it.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I’m team Rosso here. I have the Certaldos, but I would easily go to Volterra 2 if the funds allowed. It simply is a speaker that is constantly impressive, without overriding the music. I personally feel so many speakers in modern hifi go for a great first impression, but not as great of a long term listening experience. The ease of the Volterra with a good amp with a good set up is just unmatched. It also has the resolution to allow you to clearly hear and understand what any component change in the system is bringing to the table.

A lot of people obviously love the Kantas, but for me the choice would be easy. The current line of Rosso really has a great balance that speaks to my ears and preferences.

The only speakers that I’ve really connected with semi recently on the same level as Rosso are the Stenheim alumine five se. And one look at the pricing would push me right back to the Rosso.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys..
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I have never heard Rosso but from the comments I would say is this

New Focal house sound = "Hifi"
    Rosso house sound = "musical"

That is also how I feel about the old original Utopia line from Focal before they were merged with Naim... extremely musical speakers. Their new stuff has failed to impress
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • marvda1
    Options
    @Toolfan66 Have you made your decision yet?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    Options
    This video isn’t Volterra focused, but a fresh glowing review for Rosso. If you’re still on the fence ;)

https://youtu.be/NXceCnIccHU
    Discogs
  • ExJAck19
    ExJAck19 Posts: 12
    Options
    While I haven't heard the Volterra explicitly, I've listened to the Siena, Certaldo, Fiesole, Pienza, and Elbas. I think the clarity is absolutely insane and the sound stage is YUGE, but I've been perpetually underwhelmed by the bottom octave or so (even with the Siena). I digress, the Fiesole sounds SO sweet. I imagine having the extra cab and woofer will help the low end, but after being underwhelmed by the Siena's low end I'm not holding my breath. If I was in your shoes, I'd grab the Fiesole and then augment the low end with your subwoofer(s) of choice. Personally, I'm angling for Pienzas and a pair of Rythmik F12s.
    Man Cave: Denon AVR-X2600H, S35, S15 x4, LV12R Shop: Sansui 4000, SDA SRS 2
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    ExJAck19 wrote: »
    While I haven't heard the Volterra explicitly, I've listened to the Siena, Certaldo, Fiesole, Pienza, and Elbas. I think the clarity is absolutely insane and the sound stage is YUGE, but I've been perpetually underwhelmed by the bottom octave or so (even with the Siena). I digress, the Fiesole sounds SO sweet. I imagine having the extra cab and woofer will help the low end, but after being underwhelmed by the Siena's low end I'm not holding my breath. If I was in your shoes, I'd grab the Fiesole and then augment the low end with your subwoofer(s) of choice. Personally, I'm angling for Pienzas and a pair of Rythmik F12s.

Are you using the Pienza 1 or 2? Rythmik F12 is the perfect sub for them. Fast, tight and very musical. Good choice.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    I am sure I know what I would like to do but I need to button some things up before I pull the trigger on something like this, definitely nothing that will happen quickly unfortunately..
  • ExJAck19
    ExJAck19 Posts: 12
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Are you using the Pienza 1 or 2? Rythmik F12 is the perfect sub for them. Fast, tight and very musical. Good choice.
    To be clear, I don’t own them yet, but when the time comes it would be the Pienza 2. I already had a fantastic listening session with them and am absolutely in love. They give up very little to the Fiesole, and for my own tastes and needs they check all the boxes. It’s just plain ridiculous to get such a grandiose sonic picture from such a tiny speaker.

I find the Rythmik offerings equally impressive. I’m very impressed with my LV12R, except that it lacks the headroom I crave.

The only thing holding me back at the moment is I don’t have a proper listening space, nor the time to appropriately enjoy them. The space they would have to fill in our current residence has meh acoustics and is already serving as my man cave / home theater.
    Man Cave: Denon AVR-X2600H, S35, S15 x4, LV12R Shop: Sansui 4000, SDA SRS 2
  • tratliff
    Options
    Skip delivered my Volterras last Friday. Unboxing them was a treat. The fit and finish is awesome. The wait was worth it.

They sound really good. I have about 60 hours on them as of now. Been leaving them running when I can.

The bass on them is top notch. I also have a pair of REL Carbons and have them going about 50% of the time. I have found when listening to great produced songs they are not needed. I doubt I will get rid of them but will use them sparingly.

I also upgraded my AudioQuest Niagara 5000 with Hurricane power cable to the Niagara 7000 with Dragon power cable. Another improvement that leaves me speechless.

Looking forward to getting more hours on the speakers so Skip can finish getting them set.

06qwh3qk6tri.jpeg
    fbunfqe0wzvh.jpeg

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I *NEVER* get rid of boxes. Worst case scenario, I break them down and have totes full of "original" packing materials.

I own the Elba 2s in Walnut.
    I tore down the boxes and sent them to recycling. Even the "budget" speakers in Rosso's lineup are worth it.

And I have been a Focal fan boy for some time.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Skip delivered my Volterras last Friday. Unboxing them was a treat. The fit and finish is awesome. The wait was worth it.

They sound really good. I have about 60 hours on them as of now. Been leaving them running when I can.

The bass on them is top notch. I also have a pair of REL Carbons and have them going about 50% of the time. I have found when listening to great produced songs they are not needed. I doubt I will get rid of them but will use them sparingly.

I also upgraded my AudioQuest Niagara 5000 with Hurricane power cable to the Niagara 7000 with Dragon power cable. Another improvement that leaves me speechless.

Looking forward to getting more hours on the speakers so Skip can finish getting them set.

06qwh3qk6tri.jpeg
    fbunfqe0wzvh.jpeg

What is it that Skip does to set them that you can’t do it? They are beautiful, Congrats!!! Skip sent me a teaser pic of them, the finish looks incredible…
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Those speakers are gorgeous!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options

Yep. And they sound better than they look.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options

06qwh3qk6tri.jpeg
    fbunfqe0wzvh.jpeg

What is it that Skip does to set them that you can’t do it? They are beautiful, Congrats!!! Skip sent me a teaser pic of them, the finish looks incredible…

Primarily, placement of the speakers and the MLP.
    I had my Elbas in what I thought were the perfect location...soundstage extended well outside of the physical walls of my space. Good, solid bass...my room is pretty much a no-brainer when it comes to setup. One listening position. Only one area of the room that audio gear can be. Very straight forward...or so I thought.

Skip stopped by for the night on his way to Wisconsin to deliver a pair of Siennas to a customer and I left him alone in my office to do his thing. Everything that I thought I had dialed in was just that extra bit better. A really good example of how things improved, and one that I am sure that you can relate to, Larry...the whole Fear Inoculum album "grew". Wider spaces, more fluid motion throughout the room, better, tighter bass (he even moved my subs a hair but they only play 50hz on down).
    I did well...Skip just did better. He has been getting a lot of practice setting systems up and it really shows in improvements in his show rigs.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tratliff
    Options

He is a placement master. Many hours of adjusting and listening. When you talk with him ask him to give you details.
  • tratliff
    Options

Thanks
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Great looking speakers and setup!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • marvda1
    Options
    @tratliff , place the floor protector discs under the spikes on the carpet and give it a listen. :)
    Puritan PSM156
  • tratliff
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    @tratliff , place the floor protector discs under the spikes on the carpet and give it a listen. :)

The master set them up. That was his doing.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    @tratliff
    Now that’s a system
    Let me get my ears in it someday
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • displayname
    Options

I actually wrote a post about this a few months ago after Skip spent a few hours working on my room.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/198308/taking-a-moment-to-talk-about-professional-set-up
    Discogs
  • Toolfan66
    Options

I actually wrote a post about this a few months ago after Skip spent a few hours working on my room.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/198308/taking-a-moment-to-talk-about-professional-set-up

I don’t remember that post, thanks for sharing it..