Shipping costs

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Ok,
If any of you had to pay for shipping , it seems the pricing is sky high. I mean I think it might be double of what it was just a few years ago.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    Yes
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Absolutely. Shipping the TT I have recently aquired across the country (freight)....I have been quoted anywhere from about $1K to close to 3K (with discounts).

I sold a lightweight BS Node2 to Wisconsin last year and just the shipping was 1/2 the cost of what I sold it for!

Crazy!

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Everything is expensive, shipping is no different. It's ridiculous how expensive it is. When I purchase on-line I am starting to gravitate towards free shipping sites if I am not buying from Amazon (w/Prime).

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    Options
    Freight quote has always worked well for me as a broker for large items
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,602
    Options
    This is kind of unrelated, but are you guys noticing more vendors shipping things “signature required” for delivery by default? At least UPS has the option to sign online, but FedEx does not. Makes me crazy having to be at the mercy of the FedEx driver to get my stuff when I live in a safe neighborhood.

Has the rest of the world really gone that nuts that leaving packages on the front porch is now out of the question?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • VR3
    edited June 2023
    Options
    It is 50 50 but I personally don't ship to anyone something over 100 dollars without requiring a signature. We unfortunately live in a society where people will claim things that simply is not true.

This is also why I take detailed photos of my Items, videos and of the packaging along with the final box.

I would say an average item I sell online I will have close to a hundred photos of that item for my records.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,879
    Options
    Been looking at buying my son a full suspension mountain bike sadly it is cheaper to have it shipped from the UK than US or even Canada. Makes no sense.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Looks like even the USPS flat rate priority mail boxes are up by at least 30 percent from when I last looked a couple years ago.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    This is kind of unrelated, but are you guys noticing more vendors shipping things “signature required” for delivery by default? At least UPS has the option to sign online, but FedEx does not. Makes me crazy having to be at the mercy of the FedEx driver to get my stuff when I live in a safe neighborhood.

Has the rest of the world really gone that nuts that leaving packages on the front porch is now out of the question?

If you purchase insurance both require signature automatically
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    wait till use guys get your electric bills. :(
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Got some cables from Upscale Audio last fall. The first shipment came no problem, but the second one required a signature. No one ever uttered the word “insurance” either time.

Told them I was done with them unless they could ship without that requirement, tried them again last week using their earlier solution to request no signature from my sales rep, but guess what happened again, anyway?!

Part of my recent order is coming drop shipped directly from Nordost, but still with a signature required. I don’t get it. Used to be the exception, rather than the rule.

Maybe it’s just them, I’m not sure. I just know I don’t like it.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    Options
    I save over 30% on UPS and USPS using pirateship.com. I've used it several times.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    I have 95% of anything over $100 sent to work or non-Amazon items. I had my L600's delivered to work (on pallets)...lol. We are an insurance company so we don't have a "loading dock". Came right through the front door. Porch pirates are a real thing.

I request all my Amazon packages, which do get sent home, to be placed on the back deck rather than right in plain view on the front porch. They do follow that request 85-90% of the time. We're talking cat food, litter, odd car parts, household items, batteries, etc. Amazon has been really good about replacing lost or stolen items as long as you don't abuse it. We've only had one thing that Amazon said was delivered but we never found it.

I don't have issues with porch pirates, but I take precautions not to tempt them if they are casing the area...lol.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Which service did they use to ship?
    One of the things I like about FedEx is the option to redirect to a FedEx Office store or a Walgreens or something, so that you can swing by to sign and pick up. I've noticed, though, that sometimes I've been unable to redirect items, the FedEx site saying that only the shipper can allow that. Sometimes the transit time is too short to coordinate that, so could be a question you could ask ahead of time, or have it sent directly to one of these pickup locations? I haven't tried that yet.

Also, It's not them, it's you. :D
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Got some cables from Upscale Audio last fall. The first shipment came no problem, but the second one required a signature. No one ever uttered the word “insurance” either time.

Told them I was done with them unless they could ship without that requirement, tried them again last week using their earlier solution to request no signature from my sales rep, but guess what happened again, anyway?!

Part of my recent order is coming drop shipped directly from Nordost, but still with a signature required. I don’t get it. Used to be the exception, rather than the rule.

Maybe it’s just them, I’m not sure. I just know I don’t like it.

I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Upscale Audio uses FedEx. I haven’t seen where I could redirect anything they’ve sent me. Took me 4 days to get that second shipment out of their grubby hands.

Next time I send you an empty test box, you will feel the pain.

Brian

• smartie_panta
    Options
    CGTIII wrote: »
    I save over 30% on UPS and USPS using pirateship.com. I've used it several times.

I have used it successfully, too. I was skeptical the first couple times, but I have not had any issues in about any of my ~ten times using it. <<<Voraciously knocks wood>>>
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Create a fedex account and you will get a pretty solid discount and you should then be able to redirect shipments unless the shipper blocks that option.

Amazon eBay and Walmart etc are killing us. They get huge discounts and we get the shaft..l
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer