Classical music that I might like?

Options
2»

Answers

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Most people like Gus Holst's, "The Planets" or Stravinsky's, "Firebird" as an interesting way to begin enjoying classical music. There are same amazing recordings on Telarc of these pieces.

I went to Goodwill and found no less than 8 CDs of classical music in excellent condition. One is an SACD. eoakbfob5r0c.jpg
    I was surprised, as I listened, by how many of these I am familiar with. Thanks to WB and Buggs Bunny 😆
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Once you figure out your favorites, you can buy some on vinyl. They're very affordable and easy to find in mint to near-mint condition. Vinyl sessions with classical genres, for me, really takes both classical listening and the vinyl experience up a notch.

Are you on Discogs? Some great deals out there. Also, sadly, lots of greats and favorites that can cost hundreds.

Another good way to gain exposure is DI.FM's stations. They have five or six major genre stations, with sub-genre channels in each. There's a Classical.com one, for example. I think the subscription is around $7/mo, and gets you access to all of the stations. They used to have a free tier, did away with it, and now it looks like they brought it back in some fashion. Not sure how that works. DI's one of my "must haves" as far as services go, but it's definitely easy to find yourself with too many, and getting nickel and dimed to death and realizing you're just not using the services enough to justify it. I've taken to cycling with some stuff.

I forget how we got to talking about it, but @SeleniumFalcon Ken recommended this one to me. Here it is playing shortly after my last vinyl interest episode. Beautiful four-record set, in a nice storage box with booklet and stuff. I think there's lot of stuff out there like that. I mean, a record from 1971 in pristine condition. Beautiful condition, clean, and clean, quiet sound. It's a neat feeling when you think about it, and it's spinning and making music.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2665692/#Comment_2665692
    n283ltlfttik.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    Most people like Gus Holst's, "The Planets" or Stravinsky's, "Firebird" as an interesting way to begin enjoying classical music. There are same amazing recordings on Telarc of these pieces.

I went to Goodwill and found no less than 8 CDs of classical music in excellent condition. One is an SACD. eoakbfob5r0c.jpg
    I was surprised, as I listened, by how many of these I am familiar with. Thanks to WB and Buggs Bunny 😆

Looks like you got a Mobile Fidelity in that stash too.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    I am reading this thread and would like to respond as normal.....but I can not tonight.

I have a recommendation that ALL of the classical folks would love. It's not audiophile. It's not Mo-Fi or any of that crap. It's actually something that one would look (on the surface) at and throw it away. I was about too. It's a cheap looking set, if you will.

That said, it's beyond audiophile and one of the best recordings/mastering's I have heard when it comes to classical music.

I just do not have the time tonight to look it up, photograph it and offer it to you folks. It will be WELL worth your while to listen to it though....

Buy music NOW, while you can, while it is relatively cheap. I did and it has paid off in spades. Some are worthy of throwing out but.....some? Awe Chit son!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I love the Cars,
    some like Debussy.

My fav Classical Orchestra baroque up,
    but maybe they will get Bach together again.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I just do not have the time tonight to look it up, photograph it and offer it to you folks. It will be WELL worth your while to listen to it though....

You're killing me with the suspense, Tom! Preemptively...I'll take it!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

You're killing me with the suspense, Tom! Preemptively...I'll take it!

klybeq21rrtf.png

B)