Classical music that I might like?

Options
I have been thinking about broadening my horizons in terms of music. I grew up listening to Folk, Blues, Rock, Metal, Punk, and even a little Rap. Lately I have been questioning why I have not yet ventured into the Classical genre. I suppose it is an environmental thing. Nobody in my circle listens to classical, and I have no reference to what I might enjoy due to lack of exposure. Nobody to ask, "What classical music would someone who was raised on Rock n Roll find compelling and perhaps even enjoy?" So, if you have any suggestions, please share! Thank you!
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Answers

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,510
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Most people like Gus Holst's, "The Planets" or Stravinsky's, "Firebird" as an interesting way to begin enjoying classical music. There are same amazing recordings on Telarc of these pieces.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Maybe try to watch in movie forms. Perhaps Fantasia (mixed), Amadeus (Mozart), and Immortal Beloved (Beethoven).
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited June 2023
    Options
    FWIW, I heartily second The Planets. That Gus guy had it goin' on! B)
    Dvorak's so called New World Symphony (Symphony Number 9) is dandy. Try before you buy -- the fourth movement :)

https://youtu.be/89jOPAGJq-M

I mean... there's The Ninth of Ludwig Van. Like the aforementioned Firebird, he/it kinda blew the doors off the status quo when it was written (albeit not as controversially as Stravinsky's Firebird or The Rite of Spring).

For "easy listening" - hard to beat Baroque: Vivaldi's The Four Seasons and Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik are dandy and easily digestible.

Howzabout J. Strauss -- " The Waltz King"?
    Everyone knows this one, and everyone my age cannot hear it without thinking of this...
    https://youtu.be/0ZoSYsNADtY

PS The scene immediately preceding the one above just may be the single best cross-cut in the history of cinema. :D

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Yo-Yo Ma playing anything.
    kskszstk8ica.png

• mhardy6647
    edited June 2023
    Options
    ^^^ magnificent stuff, Bach's cello works. :)

In western music, it really doesn't get any better than J.S. Bach -- but I am way biased.

g03z6ucpzwjf.gif

Not always the easiest music for beginners, although Bach's greatest hits are probably a good place to start.

Heck, Bach's Well-tempered Clavier pieces are good, and they were student exercises. :)

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    People may not realize they've been exposed to classical music and know much more of it than they think they do. Many tunes used in commercials and movies are snippets of compositions from 100 or 200 years ago. In my view there's nothing more powerful and dynamic in music than listening to a full orchestra in person in a grand concert hall. Beethoven's my choice for a start, especially Symphony No. 6.

Here are some examples of tunes that may be familiar and a good starting point for digging deeper...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taIIxOZ_Zk4
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    Options
    Anything by Gershwin
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt 'soundtrack' has a lot of familiar melodies.

Popular ballets like Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and Nutcracker are usually crowd pleasers.

I also enjoy a genre called 'Court Music', which is basically a subset of the Baroque era.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    When you consider that the "genre" extends for over a thousand years, from the simplicity of chant, plainsong and/or organum on through the 12-tone atonality of Schoenberg & Berg, the world's yer oyster.

I tend to suggest the French Impressionists (Satie, Ravel, Debussy) esp. the piano works.
    The Mighty Five (Mussorgsky, Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov, et. al.) when well recorded, will do magical things.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Yeah, the one that drew me in was Ravel's Daphnis et Chloé.
    I'd heard a live rendition of the third movement, part 3. It's a ballet. Here's the funny thing about this...

As I was listening, it dawned on me that at one point I was envisioning a scene from James Bond Thunderball, that underwater hideout scene, where he fights the bad guys and sneaks in and there's more fighting. Intense. Then it hit me - hey, this is like a soundtrack! Then I put 2 and 2 together - of course it's like a soundtrack; this is the music accompaniment to the ballet - the dance, the performance of a story. A lot of it, though, just sounded like some old film score. It was neat.

So, it was ballet pieces that drew me in. Somehow ballets conjure imagery for me while I'm listening, and this doesn't happen for me with other styles of classical. I think this is the difference, and why I gravitate more toward ballet style than say something like chamber music. The other styles have their places, I do enjoy some others, but ballets seem to be my favorites. As @mhardy6647 mentions above - baroque is fun, too. Previously, that was the other style I liked best, as revealed to me by a classical violinist. But she was a mean drunk, so I don't care that she seemed to state it with derision. She also liked Puddle of Mudd, so what did she know.

I'll tell you who's a good classical dude is Phil - @Moose68Bash
    Still around out there Phil?

Here's a link to the whole program
    https://www.yourclassical.org/episode/2018/10/15/a-kick-in-the-pants
    Here's a link to just that one piece - https://bit.ly/Juanjo-Daphnis

I disabled signatures.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This is great! I was thinking about the scene from Excalibur where Arthur is riding through Camelot and everything is bursting back to life. The music from that scene is so moving.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • tonyp063
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    the scene from Excalibur where Arthur is riding through Camelot and everything is bursting back to life. The music from that scene is so moving.

Heh.
    On of my favorites.
    'O Fortuna' from Carmina Burana
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Wagner “Ride of the Valkyries”

Tchaikovsky “1812 Overture”

Rossini “William Tell Overture”

Mussorgsky “Pictures at an Exhibition”

Richard Strauss “Also Sprach Zarathustra”

Johan Strauss “Beautiful Blue Danube”

Tchaikovsky “Marche Slav”

Vivaldi “The Four Seasons”

Liszt “Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2”

Bach “Toccata and Fugue in D minor”

Rachmaninov “Prelude in C Minor”

Beethoven “Moonlight Sonata”

That should get you started…

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    If you pick one like 1812, which was orchestrated around play also. You can read up on many of these, and understand each passage in song.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2023
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If you pick one like 1812, which was orchestrated around play also. You can read up on many of these, and understand each passage in song.

en30p0vn8e1p.png

9yzpmom26yrt.png

boom. B)

1ljblhr39ppc.png
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    @mhardy6647 gotta love Calvin and Hobbes! I appreciate all of your suggestions, too! I am looking forward to getting some time in front of my speakers, so I can start exploring the world of classical music and cannons 😁
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2023
    Options
    De nada. :)

The list @engie490 posted above is a nice collection. It is, FWIW, a collection of music that "classical" serious music" purists sometimes disdainfully refer to as warhorses. :p They're "warhorses" for a reason -- they're great, and broadly enjoyed. Orchestras play them because people enjoy hearing them! :) It's an excellent list for an introduction to a variety of "serious music".
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited June 2023
    Options
    l7t0dxdqds5f.jpg

To start with early Baroque classical. Composed in 1721.

Johann Sebastian Bach - Six Brandenburg Concertos

Played with period instruments.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,694
    Options
    If it's not baroque, don't fix it.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    edited June 2023
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Not a bad idea. Maybe Symphonic Yes, Rush, Deep Purple, or Pink Floyd.

Or maybe Piano stuff like Glenn Gould, Gabriela Montero, or Maria Joao Pires...

and then their is Prog Rock...
    He's a vid from someone way more knowledgable than I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWoqqJCU_s8

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,520
    Options
    First LP I bought (circa 1969): Mahler Symphony #1. For Mahler, it’s relatively short, but skip to the final movement if you’re impatient. And everything previously suggested. Should keep you busy until quittin’ time.
  • tonyp063
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    If it's not baroque, don't fix it.

zbii2hmnrwi6.png
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    For me, the key to getting the most enjoyment out of classical music is having at least moderately high-sensitivity loudspeakers (i.e. 90dB or higher) and sealed powered subs.

If speaker sensitivity is too low, dynamics (soft-too-loud) suffer and the sense of scale is unconvincing.

It’s also critical that the system can playback the full audible spectrum. Bass should be fast, tight, and powerful for classical music.

In addition to seeking specific classical works, keep an eye out for well-recorded labels, such as: Naim, Telarc, CBS Records Masterworks, RCA Red Seal (not Silver or Gold Seal), Chesky, etc.

I usually organize my classical stuff by label, then composer, then conductor (but that doesn’t reflect in these photos).

7wga0n3a9v74.jpeg

tvcibg4uvml3.jpeg

6voayum34ubs.jpeg
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I believe someone on the forum gave me this this when I purchased a player from them. It is outstanding.

hmvjet7rkcbt.jpg
  • kevhed72
    Options
    newbie308
    I just bumped a collection of classical CDs in For Sale you may be interested in.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 306
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions here. I would only add that more modern orchestral music is also worth your time. In particular you might like Aaron Copland compositions, e.g. Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man, Billy the Kid.
    Oh, and Holst also composed a couple of suites for military band worth a listen.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I got a lot to say on this topic….but for the moment, I’ll start with three pieces that are available on Tidal….

The adagio from Bruckner’s 7th conducted by Wilhelm Furtwangler and the Berlin Philharmonic (his reading of Beethoven’s 5th is amazing as well)

Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings by Eugene Ormandy (you’ll recognize this from Platoon)

The Lark Ascending conducted by Neville Marriner

If these three, listened to intently (classical demands your attention) don’t move you….there may be something wrong with you. Now, the Bruckner piece is not audiophile jewelry but get past the recording and listen to. The. Music.

Also throw in just about anything by Aaron Copland and Beethoven’s 6th Symphony as being very accessible gateway drugs to classical as well. For Copland, look for Leonard Bernstein (he and Copland were buddies) and Beethoven’s 6th I like Karajan….particularly the 1961 DG recording.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Ill second the Aaron Copeland motion:
    vsqa8yqsg531.jpeg