On my Polk monitor 50's floor speakers only the Tweeter works on both of them.?

Options
Only Tweeter works on both monitor 50 floors I recently bought a older Sony receiver so it must be something I need to change in that. Because the speakers work. I ran direct wire from a speaker to receiver & it works fine. ? Can you help me plz?

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    You are supposed to connect the receiver directly to the speakers, so what other way were you trying?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wchance1133
    Options
    I should of been more specific. Sorry. I did hook it uo directly to my reciever just to see if they worked. This was just 1 speaker but that means they all work I'm sure. Because only the tweeters were working. Do you think I have my reciever on a certain mode? Or is that not even possible.? I'm a rookie at all this stuff. The reciever is new to me also
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited June 2023
    Options
    The Monitor 50's have two set of binding posts per speaker. If your connecting to the top
    pair only, and there are no polished brass pieces connecting the upper and lower pair, you will have no bass. Try the lower pair and see if you get bass but no treble. Then make short interconnect pieces (speaker jumpers) to connect the upper and lower terminals if the factory brass ones are missing. If they are there make sure the terminal posts are screwed down tight. Wire is much better though.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Is it a 2 channel receiver or a multi-channel AVR?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wchance1133
    Options
    It's a multi channel.
  • wchance1133
    Options
    I'm such a rookie at all this. But I have those Brass plates that connect. I took them off because I was going to bi amp those m 50's? Is that right? Don't you have to take those off? Or should I just put them back on & don't worry about bi amp at all. Just to see if they work with the brass plates back on.? That might be it. Hell idk. Lol. I appreciate the feedback though.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Put them back on. Forget about the biamp notion.
  • aprazer402
    Options
    Here's manual for the Polk Monitor 50's. It may help you.
  • wchance1133
    Options
    I will put the plates back on & let you know. That just doesn't seem right though. It should still work if imbi Amping. But idk. I will see if that fixes the issue. So you don't think I have the receiver on a certain mode or something? Or is that even possible? Lol. Hell idk by this point. I work with tools every day I'm just not extremely familiar with stereo equipment. I k own more then the average guy but thats about it.
  • aprazer402
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Read this first, if your not sure. Bi-Wiring is different than Bi-Amping.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-SrfeHUVJU2x/learn/why-biamp-your-speakers.html#:~:text=How is bi-wiring different,the same type of speaker.

Listen to what @pitdogg2 Ivan said.

At the level of quality of speaker and AVR you're using, it serves no advantage at all to bi-wire or bi-amp those Monitor 50's. Just screw down the brass jumper plates between the upper and lower terminals and
    use either banana plugs into the center of either the lower or upper terminals or use bare wire and screw it under a set of terminals. Spend more time on room placement and flat tone settings on the AVR to start. You really need very good speakers to benefit from true bi-"amping". Bi-"wiring" does little to nothing.

The Monitor 50's are very easy speakers to drive, one set of wires to one set of terminals is all that's
    needed. You can't drive these speakers to real high volume levels without distortion and possible damage. They were designed for entry-level inexpensive home theater settings in smaller rooms. Usually paired with Monitor 30's for rear surrounds, a CS1 or CS2 center channel and a PSW-10 subwoofer for an entry level 5.1 surround. They can be used alone for a simple two-channel configuration as well.
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • F1nut
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Put them back on. Forget about the biamp notion.

^THIS^

President of Club Polk