R700 Impressions

Options
tiger4
tiger4 Posts: 14
I bought a pair of R700s for 90% music (10% 2.0 TV) because I wanted something I shouldn't need a sub with. After 90 to 100 hours of listening (post inverted dust cap repair), I am very happy with the R700s. I came from R200s with a dual 12" driver Rythmic sub and like the sound of the R700s better. Driven with the same source (flac files on a Marantz SR5015) the R700s sound more relaxed. I know that sounds like touchy-feely BS, but that is my impression. They measure a somewhat flatter in-room than the R200/Rythmic L22 setup, so that may be the reason. I can't speak to HT use, but I would certainly recommend that anyone looking for music speakers in the $2k/pr price range include the R700s in their listening tests.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Would you say the R700 are more polite sounding?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for posting up with your findings with both setups.

Did you find it difficult to blend the R200s and the L22?

I can see the R700s having more seamless transition simply due to being "full range" in a single cab. I've definitely found it to be more work getting 2.1 dialed, but I've found it to sound cleaner and fuller in the lower frequencies for my space, which is unconventional.

Curious about your space for this setup. Classic rectangle/optimal for 2ch?

I've noticed speakers that get swallowed in a larger room can sound much fuller and richer in a smaller, more conventional space.

I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2023
    Options
    The more I read around on personal reviews, the R200's are not a fan favorite.

Thanks for your review and impressions on the R700's. That's a speaker most agree are pretty damn good.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tiger4
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    1) Did you find it difficult to blend the R200s and the L22?

2) I can see the R700s having more seamless transition simply due to being "full range" in a single cab.

3) Curious about your space for this setup. Classic rectangle/optimal for 2ch?

1) Blending the R200s and the L22 wasn't terrible, but it's a difficult room (see below) that really needed multiple subs.

2) I assumed this would be true and it seems to be - I got my multiple "subs"

3) Far from classic. The system is on the long wall at one end of a 13' X 34" space with a vaulted ceiling that runs from 12' to 19'. One speaker is a foot off of the end wall and the other is all alone 12' down the wall.
  • tiger4
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    The more I read around on personal reviews, the R200's are not a fan favorite.

I liked them for music, and they were fine for HT (still using them for that in a different room). It was a new room so I had nothing to compare to. Now that I do, I just think the R700s sound better.