Can't catch a break

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,064
Hello everyone,
So 3 years ago I hurt my knee coming out of my shed in the rain. I was laid up for 6 weeks and it took months to get back on my feet where I felt comfortable doing anything.

Then back in December 2021 I got covid and then long covid and have been suffering with that ever since. But I'm 85-90% better just left with some lingering symptoms and one of them being extreme anxiety like PTSD.

So last Monday I picked up my tool bag from the floor and pulled I think a Lat muscle. It hurt enough that I carried my bag with my right side instead of the hurt left side. It sucked , I drove to a parking lot leaving my clients house and sat for awhile to catch by breath and try to make it through the rest of my day. It wasn't that bad as the next few days it started to feel slightly better.

Friday I put my Drag Radials on my car and went to the Drag strip and had a great time, ran my fastest times . Well Saturday morning I was in the garage getting ready to put my street wheels and tires back on the car, give it a nice after track wash and enjoy this incredible beautiful weather we are having.

Well I went to tighten a bolt and re pulled my left lat muscle I think that's what's wrong. It hurts under my left ribs from my side to the middle of my back which is exactly where your left lat muscles are. This pull was way worse than the first. This one took my breath away, had me struggling to get back to my feet, I have steps that go from the garage up to the Mudroom , only like 4 steps but I was in so much pain, I was nervous trying to get into the house. Once I got in, I took some Alieve and Ice'd the area that I just hurt.

All day yesterday I was in severe pain. last night I had to try and sleep in my recliner, then sitting on the couch , tried sleeping in the bed and no matter what I did I was really uncomfortable so I barely got any sleep last night.

Trying to sit down or move is painful. I took CBD oil yesterday and the combination of ICE CBD and Alieve helped at least take the edge off. I'm off this week from work as I panned on a stay home vacation to enjoy this incredible weather, take some drives in the car and Drag Strip fun, also catch up on some work around the house and de stress from a long no time off work stretch. Now I don't get to do any of that, I get to nurse this injury and hope by next Tuesday when I go back to work, I'm at least in a condition to do my job. I'm a Service manager and Service Tech and I don't do alot of heavy lifting but my tool bag is about 50 lbs and I'm going to have to modify it until I get fully better.

Anyone ever pull a lat muscle? It's super painful .
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Friday I put my Drag Radials on my car ...

Sounds like the slight muscle tear hadn't healed up and something like this made it worse. Any muscle around the rib cage being strained is highly annoying for me because every breath hurts for a while and finding a sleeping position can be difficult. If I have a problem sleeping I usually find a good spot to lay in and put a couple pillows around to stick in that spot overnight. When I was young pain from muscles would be gone in a day. Now it takes a few days to a week to pass.

Hope you feel better. Might want to look into getting a wheeled bag for the tools.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    Options
    You seem to be having a tough time accepting that you are not 18 anymore.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,137
    Options
    pulled muscle in your back on Monday and at the drag strip on Friday? Sounds to me like you need to start listening to your body and let it heal rather than ignore it and suffer the consequences.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    Friday I put my Drag Radials on my car ...

Sounds like the slight muscle tear hadn't healed up and something like this made it worse. Any muscle around the rib cage being strained is highly annoying for me because every breath hurts for a while and finding a sleeping position can be difficult. If I have a problem sleeping I usually find a good spot to lay in and put a couple pillows around to stick in that spot overnight. When I was young pain from muscles would be gone in a day. Now it takes a few days to a week to pass.

Hope you feel better. Might want to look into getting a wheeled bag for the tools.
    It got slightly better today, still hurts really bad just not as intense like someone stuck a sword in me and keeps twisting it as I move.

Thanks man , yes I'm strongly considering that and lighting that damn bag up some. I carry so much stuff and barely use any of it.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You seem to be having a tough time accepting that you are not 18 anymore.

I completely agree.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    pulled muscle in your back on Monday and at the drag strip on Friday? Sounds to me like you need to start listening to your body and let it heal rather than ignore it and suffer the consequences.

Completely correct. I was down with Long covid for so long , I just want to go go go. I should have rested way more.

Dan
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    What has not been asked yet…. Did you have fun?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    Options
    What has not been asked yet…. Did you have fun?
    Oh yes I did. Being at the Dragstrip for me is like a happy place.

Dan
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,630
    Options
    It's probably on here somewhere already, but what do you race?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mantis
    Options
    t9juzto3egnq.jpeg
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    It's probably on here somewhere already, but what do you race?
    pktewonlosz9.jpeg

Dan
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,630
    Options
    Seems like a pretty stout run for a 392! Well done! The only time I ran my Hellcat Challenger I was on the factory all seasons and couldn’t get it into the 11’s. It consistently trapped 125mph, though, no matter what the ET was. I have better rubber on it now and need to try it again sometime.

What was up with the guy next to you on that run? A 4.8 sec R/T?!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mantis
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty stout run for a 392! Well done! The only time I ran my Hellcat Challenger I was on the factory all seasons and couldn’t get it into the 11’s. It consistently trapped 125mph, though, no matter what the ET was. I have better rubber on it now and need to try it again sometime.

What was up with the guy next to you on that run? A 4.8 sec R/T?!
    You can't bring a Hellcat to the track on street tires, hell I don't do that with my Scat Pack. I use a Drag Radial in the Nexen Drag Spec 275/40R20 size. I have a set of Hellcat Warp Speed 9.5 inch wide by 20 wheels narrow body factory size and I use them at the Drag Strip.
    h4kx3pm7yhkm.jpeg

as for the car next to me, it was a BMW M4 competition. Niether of us where caring about reaction time that is what R/T stands for. That only has meaning if your actually racing the guy next to you. We do Test N Tune.

Dan
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,920
    Options
    Hardest thing about getting older is accepting what you can and can't do anymore in regards to your body. I screw up every now and then and my body reminds me.

Nice time!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mantis
    Options
    I just had a string of bad luck with my Knee , one Covid and now my lat pain. I'm 52 so I'm not that old yet. I still can do things but Covid weakened me.
    Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,637
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I'm 52 so I'm not that old yet.
    You're not that young either.
    Be realistic you have more years behind you than you have in front of you.
    😉
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    Indiana Jones said it best

“…It’s not the years, it’s the miles…”
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    I prefer Toby Keith's take... I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,426
    Options
    Let me be the one who says it's 90% mental BS.

We are all getting older. Deal with it.

That said, I am going through the (somewhat) same thing. It's called getting old. Me thinks you are trying to point blame on other crap. It is what it is. Wherever you are in life? Rise up to the occasion. Otherwise, the "occasion" will defeat you.

I know all to well with what happened to my mother.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,302
    edited June 2023
    Options
    What is .....is.
    Sal Palooza