One Step Closer to my PB2+

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
Just sold my PSW1200 on Ebay to be shipped out tomorrow. May even have to ditch work to take care of this. But I can't even confirm much because YAHOO email has been on the blink for the last several hours.
Will be placing my order with SVS on Thursday. Hey Doc any last minute discounts you can get me.:D

Wondering if I should call or just order online. I would like to get this beast on a vacation day. Which is exactly 7 days of order....
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Man that PSW1200 sold for a dang good price!

Congrats, let us know how the PB2 sounds! Are you getting the PB2+?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Way to go Scott. I seen the sub w/8min left lastnight and thought it was yours. I'm not sure the PB2+ will be there that soon, 7 days after order would be (IMO) very difficult for them but I sure hope they can produce one that quick for ya. I ordered mine over the phone mostly because I like to at least like to talk to someone personaly when ordering especally something that costly, but you can order either way and I'm sure that everything will be handled with the greatest care and ASAP. I look forward to hearing what you think (and feel!!!!) when you do get it.

Congrats and good luck

Dave
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I recommend ordering on-line. You'll get email confirmation of the order and also confirmation of shipping.

BAX Global has been really good to me thus far. It's best to call the LOCAL number to coordinate delivery, though, after you get the shipping notice. The website isn't terribly up to the minute from what I understand.

I don't know how strong your back is, but $20 will typically get the sub rolled into your HT room and dropped within 2 feet of it's final resting place. Worth it for me, with a bad back.

The PB2+ is the hottest piece of sub real estate going; order it NOW and just coordinate with SVS on the delivery date. Enclosures are typically the hold-up, as the vendor who applies that high tech polymer coating simply can't spray them fast enough to keep up with orders. And it takes longer to dry in the humid Ohio summer weather.

I know you like your HT aggressive, clean, and hard hitting - well the PB2+ hits like a freight train, especially in the 25 Hz tune (which gets to 20 Hz solid in most rooms). The 20 Hz tune won't disappoint either; it's a tad more sedate, but in return will dig to 15 Hz strong.

Let us know your impressions! Oh, and dropping my name might get you a free t-shirt - that's about all my star power is worth. :)

Ed
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • up2youjoe
    up2youjoe Posts: 114
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Dr. Spec

How much different will a PB2+ be from a PB2-ISD?
    No Kids Allowed
    cold, heartless, clueless, greedy 'young professional'
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    The PB2+ will have 3-4 dB more clean headroom. Other than that, they will sound very similar up to the clean limits of the PB2-ISD.

Are you happy with yours?

SVS
  • up2youjoe
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yes, very. I don't need any more headroom as there is no reason to turn the amp up to more than 11 oclock on the dial.
    No Kids Allowed
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Man that PSW1200 sold for a dang good price!

Congrats, let us know how the PB2 sounds! Are you getting the PB2+?
    I am very happy with the price I got. And a very nice guy to boot. Even offered more $ to ship to ensure its safety. I put my BA V500 Sub in its place for now and it sounds very nice....

Sid i'm going for the PLUS, it may be an overkill for now but I want something I can move and grow with. I plan on getting a larger house soon.

Thanks for the info Doc. Lugging that beast around would be half the fun. Like breaking in a bronco - getting some respect and stuff. Hee! Hee!
    I called today and got a decent answer.
    2 to 3 for "thier" next shipment and 2 to 3 for delivery. Not very personal......... Says they are very busy.

More to come.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Not very personal......... Says they are very busy.

Probably Erik......he's pretty harried these days, from what I understand. Well, if you ordered yesterday, it "might" get there within a week, but don't hold your breath. SVS can't build enough PB2's.

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    WOW --- I think it was Erik, Doc.
    Just ordered the sub online an hour ago. Man that was a huge chunk of change. Now the waiting starts. Pics to come.....:D
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Did you go for the star power t-shirt request? ;)

I had Tour2ma over last night (he's touring the country visiting Polka's wherever he goes) and he was pretty much blown away by the PB2-Ultra on both music and movies.

You'll love the PB2+; it's a refined housewrecker. Once you start flexing its muscles on some hot DVDs, it will seem cheap in retrospect.

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Shipped out on Friday. I have been tracking it and it is on its way to Los Angeles. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. That is fast.
    I really want the Wall Sign but I will have to order it later!!!!

So Doc you were very happy with all ports open and set to 16hz for music and movies.......
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    So Doc you were very happy with all ports open and set to 16hz for music and movies.......

At the time - yes. Now, I regret that comment in the review, and strongly warn against it.

A “mismatch” tune applies the incorrect EQ curve and HPF for the selected port configuration. If the user (for example) leaves three ports open and sets the tune switch to 16 Hz, this will apply a relatively large amount of EQ boost down to 15 Hz, and will also set the HPF to 12 Hz. The combination of excessive EQ and a too-low HPF setting substantially increases the risk of bottoming the drivers, and also significantly increases THD below the tune point due to extreme driver excursion.

It might appear at first glance that a mismatch tune configuration gives you deeper extension with no penalty, but upon closer analysis that is not the case. At the time, I didn't realize how much THD was being created below 22 Hz by running the 3/16 tune.

Tom Vodhanel spent a great deal of time ensuring that each conventional tune provides the best possible combination of output, extension, low distortion, and woofer protection, and it’s best not to second guess his wisdom.

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Two open at 20hz with subsonic filter ON should be what i'm looking at then.
    Ports faceing front wall, forward or side???
    My 1200 was down firing port so it did not matter at all.......
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    The 25 Hz tune will give you the most power/output and will give you good extension to 21-22 Hz in most rooms. If you really want to rock it out, use the 25 Hz tune.

The 20 Hz tune will still provide excellent power (at the expense of maybe a 2 dB loss in headroom vice the 25 Hz tune) and in exchange will dig strong to about 15-16 Hz. It is probably the best overall tune for output and extension.

If you calibrate the system/sub in the 25 Hz tune, just bump the sub level 2 dB in the pre/pro when you drop to the 20 Hz tune and this will maintain the proper subwoofer calibration level.

Give the ports about 8" of breathing room if you corner load it (generally recommended).

After you've gotten over blasting DVDs and acting adolescent (we all do it), what you will come to appreciate over time is how accurate this subwoofer is. Properly calibrated (i.e., NOT too hot), it will fill in the bottom end with effortless, detailed, very clean bass without drawing any attention to itself.

It really does let you listen to the music or the movie instead of the sub. That's the highest compliment you could pay to any sub. The emotional impact it adds to music and movies will surprise you - especially the subtle passages where the bass changes in nuance and character; its a very revealing sub in that regard.

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Thanks again Doc..........

1) Hey Doc what is your thoughts on higher end sub cables?
    Like monster ULTRA series or Tara Labs vs standard series - worth the investment?? Monster Ultra $100

2) Also I just saw a new item from Monster that is a small power center wall outlet for subwoofer protection and stage 1 filtering. Because the power cord on the PB2 will not reach my Power Center. $40.50 on Ebay.......

3)SVS recommends NOT using a Y splitter. I have used them in the past and have noticed an improvement. If thier is NO reason for them even on thier subs then WHY have a L and R on thier subs vs a single input?? I have a good Y should I use it anyway?

A killer sub investment like this deserves the best accessories right................

Subwoofer PowerCenter™ SW 200 with Clean Power Stage 1 v2.0
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    The sub signal is low in frequency and narrow in bandwidth; IOW easy to carry. So high end cables are not needed per se, but good connection quality and shielding is needed.

A Y-splitter just doubles the input voltage to the sub amp. This results in a 3 dB volume increase. If your auto-on circuit is "sleepy" a Y-splitter is a good idea. The PB2+ seems to have a pretty sensitive auto-on circuit, so I don't think you'll need one.

Using one can't hurt though. Overall calibration is a function of the input voltage and the amp volume control setting, so really a Y splitter adds nothing in terms of available power or overall performance. SVS retains L/R low level inputs for those running stereo set-ups with L/R pre-outs.

I think the SW200 is a good idea, provided it can flow the current without restriction. The PB2+ can pull 10 amps from the line at full power.

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the info Doc.......
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    No prob, Scott. Any shipping updates from BAX Global? Make sure to call the local number and don't rely on the website; it isn't updated as quickly as UPS. They might catch you off guard and leave a phone message tomorrow saying they are ready to deliver it.

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Ordered it Thursday.
    They shipped on Friday.
    Started tracking and it moved all over Ohio.
    Saturday it flew over to Los Angeles.
    Sat at the airport Sunday.
    Now it is in BAX's warehouse outside of LA - just sitting waiting to be trucked on over allday.
    I'm pretty sure it will be here tomorrow but I will be at work.. :(
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it will be here tomorrow but I will be at work..

(sniff, sniff) I smell a sick day. ;)

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    (sniff, sniff) I smell a sick day. ;)
    I already used one on the day I ordered it. The whole 90 seconds it took. But I was due if you know what i mean. I should have a 4 day weekend coming up. Plenty of free time to put it through its paces. 4 of July BBQ in the works maybe.......
    PICS coming very soon - also still have the PSW1200 - could be some side by sides......
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    also still have the PSW1200 - could be some side by sides......

I thought you sold it ?
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Doc - I have been doing alot of reading on SVS and inperticular the PB2+. I thought to myself, what a shame to hide those great looking SV Drivers and then POW I came upon this at the AVS forum and I could not believe it.
    >>>You can take the baseplate off and orient it any way you'd like. I have mine with the baseplate off and drivers face forward and ports firing up to utilize a 18"x22" footprint.<<<

We are still working on the grill option for this too. It is taking a little longer because we have to allow for the long stroke of the drivers on one hand...but we don't want a grille that weighs 50 pounds on the other hand.. Sorry for the delay on this, I just wanted to let everyone emailing SVS about it we definitely have NOT forgotten about it...we just don't want to rush something out we aren't 100% happy with.

Tom V.
    SVS

Had you tried this - the cyliders have top firing ports - what are your thoughts????????? I may have to try this out. I mean what a COOL different look for this awesome sub.......... It seems that Tom approves enought to make grilles!!!

:eek:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2004
    Options
    The guy with the most experience running the PB2+ in that config is WayneO @ HTF. You can send him a PM and see what he thinks.

The sub won't operate or sound much different; you might get a bit less reinforcement from not corner loading the vents, but overall performance should be similar.

You'll need to find a way to hide the electronics and sub/power cables; Wayne uses a picture of his dog. :)

I wouldn't hold your breath on the grill; SVS has been very busy with much higher priority items lately. The grill problem thus far has been the extremely long throw of the woofers - the grille needs to be spaced way out to accomodate for that.

If you do remove the baseplate, you MUST replace the screws and tighten them down. The screws go into metal female anchors that are installed from inside of the subwoofer. If you leave the screws out, the sub will badly leak air and lose about 10 dB of performance.

Also, if you dislodge a female anchor while reinstalling the screws (the anchors are tapped into place into the MDF and only have two small biting teeth around the ring edge), you are fu*ked and will have to pull at least one driver to find it, recover it, and reinstall it. Not fun.

For this reason alone I would avoid pulling the baseplate unless you have to replace a driver or the amp (unlikely). Those female anchors are not designed to withstand repeated removal and replacement of the baseplate and eventually you will dislodge one while reinstalling a screw and that will be all she wrote.

My vote is run the sub as it was designed in a down-firing config. (thumbs up).

Doc

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dave shepard
    I thought you sold it ?
    It is awaiting shipment to its new owner. He is on a two week business trip.

Thanks for the info - Doc. I'll let it ride as is - for now.;)
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Update:
    Called BAX, after watching it set for 3 days, and they said Scheduled delievery is Thursday, July 1st. Funny because all delieveries in the USA are no longer than 3 days with SVS's package.
    My new Toy is just setting in some dirty warehouse.:(
    But just in time for my 4 day weekend.:D
  • up2youjoe
    edited June 2004
    Options
    When my PB2-ISD was being delivered BAX never called me. I was at work in the morning and logged on and saw that SVS sent me an email on a Wednesday after 5pm that it shipped. I never saw it. Friday morning I see it and I call BAX and they said it was on the truck and it will be at my house before 5pm. I asked them why they didn't call me and they said they don't call. I leave work and go home and wait. At 4:50pm I call them and they tell me the driver said he is returning it to the warehouse because he does not have time to get to me. He was busy picking up stuff instead of delivering and now my box is in the back. They want me to take Monday off and wait for them again. I ended up driving to the airport on Saturday(45 minute ride) and picking it up.
    No Kids Allowed
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Hey up2youjoe, I feel your pain. What is even worse is I live in a small city. And like many SVS customers I have researched I can't just GO and PICK it up.
    So BAX called today to confirm delievery and I wasn't at home, "this strange thing I do called a JOB", so now they delayed delievery for another day.
    Friday it is now (I hope)- but I took the day OFF.:D

How did you like your SVS sub, up2youjoe ???
  • up2youjoe
    edited June 2004
    Options
    First thing I did was set the phase. Then I calibrated it to 75db along with the rest of my speakers using the ratshack meter. I then used the test tones and plotted a graph. It showed nice gain below 30Hz so I put in some DVD's (U571, Finding Nemo) and let it rip. Very Very nice. The wife loves it when shes watching her favorite stuff... The Haunting, Jeepers Creepers2 and the like.
    No Kids Allowed
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by up2youjoe
    The wife loves it when shes watching her favorite stuff... The Haunting, Jeepers Creepers2 and the like.
    Wow - your wife has good taste in movies. What sub did you have before?