New to me Almost Antique Swan IV D'Appolito

Options
Facebook Market is an evil place... don't go there!!

My son has purchased a house and of course he needs so audio equipment, speakers mainly. I found a pair of Swan IV oak finished speakers within an hour of here and they look great, sound a bit funky, but the cabinetry is outstanding!

Are aluminum wiring and wire nuts bad? 3 drivers but 5 pair of wire per speaker make questions come up?

As it turns out the mids are Focal 5N412's with dual voice coils so the extra wiring now makes sense. Rubber surrounds in good shape. But the wiring... :( ...

Tweeters are Focal T90k's.

1st speaker cleaned up ok. 2nd one done the same way...no tweeter. Speakers are glued in...backboard is extra thick and glued in. But no tweeter puts me in a spot so I peeled the felt diffraction rings back and did a bit of prying. Old glue! It finally broke free and clean. Now that it was clear of the cabinet I used my trusty VOM and found... they are wired differently. FFS... :'( Wired the tweeter wire to the tweeter and now we have tweeterage.

But left channel has less volume... now what? So I emailed Madisound on a whim. Got the speakers just south of Madison and it's from a kit. And kudos to Madisound - I have documentation now. But that doesn't solve the issue of less volume and where do these extra wires really go?

So I took a chance - with the tweeter removed I could get to the edges of the mids and they also eventually popped out. So I've yanked out all drivers and wire. Madisound confirms that there were multiple versions of crossovers for these. I do not have the sub box portion but I do have the extra little 4mH board for the "boost coils" but they were wired in all wacky and I left them out.

Two of the mids have spade lugs, two of the mids do not. One Mid wire was broken off due to aluminum wiring, poor soldering and very short speaker leads.

They are now "naked". Cones, crossovers and wire removed. I've ordered new wire, caps and resistors from Madisound, hope to have those soon. And I'll wire in the 4mH coils when I do that.

owc534ujmwiy.jpg

pzbop2bqv8ww.jpg

cme7bm1apvpz.jpg

Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments