• MrGeology
    MrGeology Posts: 83
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Polk_Denon wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    Hifi collective

When looking at the complete list on Parts Express I did see a .2mh dcr .29
    0.29 ohm is definitely close enough to 0.3 ohm. Most meters don't even go down into the .01 ohm range, even my $200 meter will read .29 as .3 ohm. I have to use DATS to get a more accurate reading.
    Even then most parts labeled "0.3 ohm" will measure between .29 and .31ohms anyhow.
    "They’re not after me, they’re after you… I’m just standing in the way!” -Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States
  • Polk_Denon
    Options
    With the inductors, two of the originals are laminated steel core. Should they be kept the original type or can they be changed to air core? Do the different type of inductors have any affect to sound? Or is it more important on the quality of the wire used to make them?
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Generally, in order to get close to the original DCR, you need to match the type (iron or air core) and the gauge of the wire used.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Iron core generally will have much smaller gauge wire then the air core equivalent
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    Options
    With an iron core inductor the amount of inductance can change as a function of the AC current applied. So, depending upon how the inductor is being used the frequency response of the crossover could change with different playing volumes. This doesn't happen with an air core version.
  • Polk_Denon
    Options
    So a place that makes inductors should be able to make air cores with the correct DCR I need? I did find an air core with the 1.0mh DCR .30 that matches the original. I’d like to use air cores for all 3
  • VR3
    Options
    Hifi collective
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Polk_Denon
    Options
    Hifi collective

Emailed them few days ago and they gave me links to ones of same style(Jantzen) with close DCRs but not exact.
  • VR3
    Options
    As long as it's within 5% you should be fine
  • Polk_Denon
    Options
    Think found a place that will make air cores for me but before send them info want to make sure I’m reading schematic correct. The 3.0mh DCR is 1.25? The .2mh. & 1.0mh are both .3 DCR

q1whgwplnhqs.jpeg
  • MrGeology
    MrGeology Posts: 83
    edited April 2023
    Options
    That is what the schematic calls out. Like others have said, even if you custom order they will likely be plus or minus 5%, as is called out on the schematic also.
    "They’re not after me, they’re after you… I’m just standing in the way!” -Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States
  • Polk_Denon
    Options
    Place emailed me back. Don't think custom made but here is what they have. Would these be within +-5%?

.2mh dcr .178 (18 gauge wire)
    3.0mh dcr .927 (18 gauge wire)
    1.0mh dcr .471 (18 gauge wire)

What's on schematic:

.2mh dcr .3
    3.0mh dcr 1.25
    1.0mh dcr .3
  • VR3
    Options
    You need like 20 awg first two and 16 or 14awg lady one
  • Polk_Denon
    Options
    You need like 20 awg first two and 16 or 14awg lady one

on parts express I found
    .2mh dcr .29 (20g wire)
    3.0mh dcr .99 (18g wire) or 3.0mh dcr 1.38 (20g wire) doubt either of these are +-5%
    1.0mh dcr .3 (15g wire) exact match as original
  • VR3
    Options
    Jantzen makes a 19 awg inductor for the 3mh
  • Polk_Denon
    Options
    Jantzen makes a 19 awg inductor for the 3mh

Do you have a link for it? I looked on the jantzen spreadsheet for all the ones they make and don't see a 19awg
  • VR3
    Options
    Sorry was thinking about madisound

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/air-core-19-awg