Oracle Delphi turntable

2»

Comments

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    The Sumiko arm that I wanted to purchase was sold about ten seconds before I contacted the person selling it, so I opted to go with a Micro Seiki MA-505 MK3 arm with a straight arm tube. I know this is a well built arm with a lot of high regard in reviews. The arm I ordered has been completely refurbished with new wiring, a new bias spring installed, and comes with the manual and mounting template. I think this arm matches the turntable nicely, and it doesn't require the suspension springs to be changed either. The ability to make micro adjustments to VTA, bias, and VTF are appealing, too!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Excellent choice! The VTF and bias on the MA-505 are 'dynamic' (not static), which is another nice feature.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    billbillw wrote: »
    I had an Oracle Alexandria with that Prelude tonearm. I was not a fan of it. I recall that I replaced with the some type of SME (Series III? ...one of the lightweight ones).

Honestly, you have an SL1200mk2 with an SME 3009. Why did you feel the need to upgrade? That sounds like a superior setup to me. The SL1200 will hold its own and has a much torquier motor. The Oracles are a bit finicky to setup and keep running correctly. I wish I had never sold my 1200mk2. I wish I had seen this thread a few weeks ago.
    My brother has a Delphi, but it is a much later version, like a Mk4 or something. It is still finicky and I prefer my stable as a rock VPI.

VPI is definitely stable as a rock

Love mine
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    Had a little free time this afternoon, so I machined the delrin platter mat for the Delphi.

ukbmbtbapeej.jpg
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |