New Emotiva Basx MR1 vs Pionner SC-99

Irrenhaus
Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
Hi all,

Just looking for advice. Will going fro the SC-99 to the Emo will be an upgrade. I was looking at the new Pionner Elite AV units and now they have switch to AB amplifiers from the old class D ICE units. It really does not metter as I only use the AV amp for sorrunds and atmos speakers.

I do reaaly like the new Emo amp I got and it works great for HT duties.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Cheers
HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I owned the SC-99 and that was a fantastic sounding well performing feature loaded for the time AVR.
    Those amps where something special as I was shocked how well they powered so many different kinds of speakers. I had the SC-68 before that which was the very first USB DAC internal built for those times as Flac Files where huge.

Anyway the new Emotiva AVR looks impressive especially for the 2k price point. Looks to have a solid Transformer and CAP's for good clean power.
    Emotiva is not known for their preamp sections so I'm not sure how much better if any it's going to sound over the SC-99. I never listened to this AVR so I speak of no experience there.

I think it would be worth the adventure as I look over the spec's and build quality, I think if I was in the market for an AVR like that, I would have to test drive.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The main selling point of the Emotiva AVR is the amp section which is more powerful than most receivers because it's got a large transformer and runs in Class H. I'd look for something else if I wasn't going to use the amp section. I'd probably just stick with the SC-99.

The Marantz SR7015 is the same price currently if looking for something new.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7015/Marantz-SR7015.html?tp=179
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The main selling point of the Emotiva AVR is the amp section which is more powerful than most receivers because it's got a large transformer and runs in Class H. I'd look for something else if I wasn't going to use the amp section. I'd probably just stick with the SC-99.

The Marantz SR7015 is the same price currently if looking for something new.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7015/Marantz-SR7015.html?tp=179

THIS^^^^^^^