Car breathalyzers

Options
Seems part of the infrastructure bill includes a requirement
for all cars to be equipped with an anti-dwi device by 2026.
I wonder what other landmines were included in this bill?
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,637
    Options
    LoL they cannot even get the breathalyzers they put on your car after DUI to work correctly half the time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    Options
    The answer to your question, PLENTY!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Will the car breathalyzer need to wear a mask the next covid go around.....asking for a friend...
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,561
    Options
    Ones used by dwi offenders need a lot of service. Like every
    30 days. Imagine getting stranded because the calibration was
    Out of whack.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

So they say 40% of households in America qualify for a $30 a month
    internet access assistance. Add to it all the people getting free cellphone
    service. And you thought all that free cheese they were handing out was a
    big deal.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,137
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

So they say 40% of households in America qualify for a $30 a month
    internet access assistance. Add to it all the people getting free cellphone
    service. And you thought all that free cheese they were handing out was a
    big deal.
    Which means the sixty percent that pay their bills will be getting a twenty dollar a month price increase.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    Via motortrend

“Guidehouse Insights principal mobility analyst Sam Abuelsamid says infrared camera technology is a more practical solution than breathalyzers. Many will likely object to the enforcement of breathing into a tube to start their car.

Following an assessment by the Transportation Department on how to best introduce the proposed technology, automakers will be allowed the time necessary to meet compliance.”

So probably not a breathalyzer.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    They might as well collect everyone's DNA and put it in the criminal database, it's the same thing.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,730
    Options
    Just train Fido to exhale in the tube.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    If they actually do put some sort of breathalizer in all new cars, you can bet the farm someone will come up with cans of fresh air to blow into it.

....for 7.99. It's not the air that costs so much, but your ability to start your car. Heck, that price can be 30 bucks and people would pay it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,006
    Options
    Nah...$19.00 but wait, if you call now within the next 10 minutes we'll send you a second at no charge! Just pay shipping & handling.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    I guess the point is they are pushing laws that can't be supported.
    The tech doesn't exist in a practical form. It's pretty fussy. And a big
    Issue is distracted driving. Cell phone/texting is just as dangerous
    and far more common. Add to it prescription drugs and weed you
    have a huge issue with few good solutions.
    Note- last time I checked most bars have a parking lot. Talk about
    overlooking the obvious.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    The real problem is as a nation we let these politicians create laws that walk all over us and 90% bend over and take it.
    Before you guys jump all over me I do not condone drunk driving or texting and driving. Like @daddyjt I'm all for serious consequences for both.
  • CottageChz
    Options
    Info I pasted from motor trend article suggest IR cameras to monitor driver state/attentiveness. This would probably be able to monitor whether the driver is paying attention or looking at their phone, on top of impairment. Not suggesting I support this being added to every car, just saying it could kill two birds with one stone since people on here brought up texting while driving. I agree that breathalyzer on every new car would be a terrible “solution.”
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    CottageChz wrote: »
    Info I pasted from motor trend article suggest IR cameras to monitor driver state/attentiveness. This would probably be able to monitor whether the driver is paying attention or looking at their phone, on top of impairment. Not suggesting I support this being added to every car, just saying it could kill two birds with one stone since people on here brought up texting while driving. I agree that breathalyzer on every new car would be a terrible “solution.”

IMHO a camera in every car is an egregious violation of personal liberty. Who would be watching the footage? Government? So everything you say and/or do in your car will be “monitored” by the government? I’m sure that the “footage” would NEVER be used for anything other than monitoring driving safety…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    Cameras in cars are a privacy problem and that's how the passive monitoring systems work. As of now there is just a proposal that's likely to get huge pushback and be cancelled if there's enough opposition to it being implemented either politically or through the courts.

https://www.vox.com/technology/2023/4/6/23673339/tesla-camera-privacy
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Damn good question…
    Check out what Toyota is doing with this technology in regards to folks behind in payments with financed vehicles.

What the ****?
  • CottageChz
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »

IMHO a camera in every car is an egregious violation of personal liberty. Who would be watching the footage? Government? So everything you say and/or do in your car will be “monitored” by the government? I’m sure that the “footage” would NEVER be used for anything other than monitoring driving safety…

I agree with your point about cameras in the car but I believe this is talking about a camera that is able to process images on its own to determine whether the driver is paying attention. Just like iPhones that use Face ID can tell whether you are “paying attention” to the phone or not before they unlock…. Not something that is recorded and sent to authorities or manufacturers. But I agree that I would not want cameras in the cabin of my car if that info can possibly be accessed by any third party.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    There’s no reason for “the gubment” to be monitoring these cameras. First of all, that would be impossible. The needs in manpower would far exceed what could be feasible at a reasonable cost.

Secondly, it’s no different than GM’s Super Cruise Level 3 autonomous driving technology (unlike Tesla, which is L2, or L2.5 if you want to be generous). There’s no need to monitor the feed. It can be processed in the vehicle itself for attentiveness.

Finally, Tesla has sold its cameras as an OTA (over the air) benefit, linked to over the air updates for vehicle software, using a cellular subscription rather than just WiFi when the vehicle is parked at home. There is no need for this, other than for real-time traffic updates (up to the minute information on what potential hazards might lie ahead).

Nobody can force you to pay for a cellular subscription for your vehicle.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @Kex…. If you think the government is incapable of, or willing to exploit this tech for whatever aims they choose, you would be a fool…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,920
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Is it just me that finds it asinine that we, as a society, will go to this expense to curtail an act that about 1% of our society engages in? All because we lack the fortitude the throw the damn book at drunk drivers? There is NO EXCUSE for drunk driving - none. The solution is simple - first offense, you lose your license for one year. Period. Second offense, you never drive again. If you get caught driving while your license is suspended/revoked, you go to jail for one year. Simple, inexpensive, and I would guess effective. We are SO AFRAID to punish criminal behavior any more…

But, the lawyers wouldn't make as much money so that won't happen. Besides it makes too much sense which is not the way laws are enforced in today's America.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Just like the government wasn't able to spy on all Americans, they might not have the manpower to do these things, but they definitely collect the data.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Just like the government wasn't able to spy on all Americans, they might not have the manpower to do these things, but they definitely collect the data.
    And very soon, AI will process that data and prompt the government to take proactive measures…. Minority Report meets 1984 is just around the corner.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    @Kex…. If you think the government is incapable of, or willing to exploit this tech for whatever aims they choose, you would be a fool…
    And very soon, AI will process that data and prompt the government to take proactive measures…. Minority Report meets 1984 is just around the corner.

You live in a very dark world, my friend. That’s just way too much negativity for me. 😳

I continue to live and prosper year after year, and the government has never stood in my way, or tried to discover what color of underwear I’m wearing. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2023
    Options
    And when everything I have been saying for the last twenty years stops becoming a reality, perhaps then I can start living in the utopian fantasy world you call home…

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    If they decide to put cams in cars then they can have a picture of my beanbag and my southern assets every day…that ain’t going to be pretty, just sayin’… but welcome to my world M F😂
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • CottageChz
    Options
    I’m sure many of you carry around a smartphone all day. That has a camera and a mic. Just sayin. A lot of your cars already have mics for hands free calls, and those may be hooked up to an SOS system. Who knows what else it could be hooked up to or sending data to? Have you ever checked?

I’m not into having cameras and microphones on everything and I understand wanting to limit it. I don’t have any smart speakers in my house for this reason (but I DO have a smartphone, so there’s that). I guess what I’m saying is let’s not pretend that some similar technology isn’t already in place if someone wants to abuse it.

If you drive a 1990s vehicle and use a flip phone then more power to you!
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    My last job required me to ditch my flip phone for a smartphone.
    In retirement, about the only times the cell is off the charger is when
    a website login needs to send me a code. 99% all calls and texts
    are spam or people still trying to call me from work. They never
    delete a phone number.