Widespread faucet fix

2»

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    The thing is: builder grade 30-40 years ago was probably better than builder grade today. What I just removed was likely builder grade in the mid '80s, but it was 100% metal (brass and copper). The failure point was the rubber bushings where the short copper pipes went into the valves.

The builder grade I'm re-installing has a lot of plastic. Since I have three bathrooms with identical fixtures, I'm going to replace all three before another failure occurs. If I were planning to stay in this house, I'd definitely seek out better quality fixtures. The future owner may want to update the entire bathroom, so I'll let them decide for themselves what to install long-term.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited March 2023
    That's exactly what I was thinking regarding old school quality and replacement parts. There seem to be standard faucet models that house flippers in my area like to use that look really good in the short term and still get the job done for a few years.