Finally pulled the trigger today.

Been saving and I was finally able to go ahead and do it on this little gem today. Almost feels like I stole it for this list price. Here in the States it etails between $499.00 and $599.00. I'm a return customer and DaCapo Audio is a great company to deal with.

Looking forward to getting this puppy on my 1210 and cranking it up. B)

https://www.dacapoaudio.com/4414-goldring-g1012gx-cartridge-m.html

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Congrats!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Congrats!

Thanks! Always cool when getting new audio toys to play with.
  • Keiko
    Curious to hear how this nude Gyger II tip stylus is going to compare to my nude elliptical 10x5 HOMC reference. This is a moving magnet type, but the output spec is what impressed upon me most: 6.5 mV +/- 1.5 dB 1kHz @ 5 cm/sec :o

n9xzalbqcx2d.jpg
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I’m also curious as to the comparison.
  • Keiko
    dromunds wrote: »
    I’m also curious as to the comparison.

I'll let ya's know for sure. From what I've been told by some, the Gyger II is the bee's knees as far as cuts go for styli. It might be, but I still think it's all subjective. I've heard a lot of positive things about the Goldring 1000 series, so when I discovered DaCapo and the price for this cart compared to what they go for here in the States, I thought it was a no brainer.

Cheapest is here at LP Gear: https://www.lpgear.com/product/GOLDRG1012GX.html

Crutchfield has it listed at 549.00 and I've seen it for as much as 599.00. So for 281.00, steal! :)
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    Lemme see,

"pulled the trigger"
    a "steal"

Hawaii 5-0 will be contacting you in no time. :)

Congrats on the cart!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Keiko
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Lemme see,

"pulled the trigger"
    a "steal"

Hawaii 5-0 will be contacting you in no time. :)

Congrats on the cart!

Weren't you picking up a new cartridge and/or turntable, S? What did you end up with. IIRC, you were considering a Dynavector 10x5 Shibata, correct? I might try a Shibata down the road for my AT91 RigB. It currently has an Analogis, nude elliptical Swiss black diamond on it. For under 30.00, this stylus can't be touched. This cartridge punches way above it's price point. If I add the Shibata, it's going to completely negate the little giant slayer that it currently is.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    Hi Keiko,

yes a MC cart is on the horizon when the tax refund hits.
    I haven't decided which way go...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Keiko wrote: »
    Weren't you picking up a new cartridge and/or turntable, S? What did you end up with. IIRC, you were considering a Dynavector 10x5 Shibata, correct? I might try a Shibata down the road for my AT91 RigB. It currently has an Analogis, nude elliptical Swiss black diamond on it. For under 30.00, this stylus can't be touched. This cartridge punches way above it's price point. If I add the Shibata, it's going to completely negate the little giant slayer that it currently is.
    Hi Keiko,

I’m glad for you kids, I cannot get into vinyl, as that ship has sailed …

Enjoy!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Keiko
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Hi Keiko,

Enjoy!

I know you were considering the Hana. Never heard one personally, but doubt you can go wrong there either. I'd like to eventually try one also. What ever you decide to do, just become a cartridge-holic, like me. Can never have too many phono cartridges. B)

I'm probably going to chill for awhile after I get the 1012GX. I think my Denon DL160 could use a retip and I want to upgrade the retip I had done on my Dynavector 10x5 after awhile. I opted for a nude elliptical Swiss black diamond on the original cantilever. This was a budget option Joseph @ groovetickler gave me at that time. I have no complaints with the choice, but I know there are better options available.

You can check out the mishap I had here with it. I was a little skeptical at first on retipping, I was even advised against it by another polkie, but for $175.00, I was willing to take the chance. No, it's not as good as the original and will likely never be the same again, but for less than 2 bills, I'm happy. I'm going to budget myself to $300.00 on it's next retip. IIRC, Joseph quoted $250.00 to restore it with an original Ogura diamond and upgraded aluminum cantilever.

• Keiko
    Not sure why the link didn't show on my last.

www.instagram.com/p/CdGVH6buh33/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D&fbclid=IwAR1zUttNs9rXEUCjrYW62Hm28TfzYs39XQUw4B6W_iSHnnJlYo1Bhru4gEs
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Cool, I think I would need a better higher end table to take advantage of a better Cartridge and needle setup. I have the stock Thorens TD-170 Needle in my table. I think it sounds wonderful.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Congrats! IMO stylus shape matters. I'm into microlinear at the moment. :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Keiko
    mantis wrote: »
    Cool, I think I would need a better higher end table to take advantage of a better Cartridge and needle setup. I have the stock Thorens TD-170 Needle in my table. I think it sounds wonderful.

You'd be surprised. When I had the Audio Technica AT-LP120 and put a Denon DL160 MC on it, that table went to a whole new level. I got into experimenting with low cost cartridges a few months ago. That started with the AT3600L. I bought an imported one from China via ebay and was taken back at just how good this cartridge was. At that time, I paid $16.00 and change for it. I bought an AT91-R after that and modified it with the RigB sled and upgraded the stylus with an Analogis, nude elliptical black diamond. I took a $30.00 cartridge in this case and made it sound like a $300.00 one. I'v gotten 3 more since then and have become a cartridge-holic.

More info on the RigB mod if anyone's interested. These are available for the AT91, AT-VM95 and AT-VM500 series of cartridges. And yes, they do make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

https://www.audioappraisal.com/the-ipt-rigb-rigid-metal-body-for-at91-cartridge-reviewed/
  • Keiko
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Congrats! IMO stylus shape matters. I'm into microlinear at the moment. :)

Thanks Rich! Shape does matter. When it's time to retip my 10x5 again, I'm likely going to go with a microlinear stylus and upgrade to a boron cantilever. Although that budget, Swiss black diamond doesn't sound bad at all. The thing with these exotic cut diamonds is that they're a bit more trickier to set up and dial-in correctly. Fortunately, my Technics tonearm can accommodate for VTA and azimuth.
  • dromunds
    Denon DL-160 are excellent
  • Keiko

The 160 was my forte in MC cartridges. From there, I went to the Dynavector 10x5 which is still my reference cartridge. It's really is too bad Denon discontinued them. The prices on Denon carts have jacked substantially over the past few years. The DL110 used to be a good budget option for anyone wanting to try a moving coil cartridge. The price for the 110 has doubled since I bought my 160 before it was discontinued.
  • Keiko
    edited March 2023
    GlennDog wrote: »

Enjoy!

I've heard guys say this before, then one day they pull their old turntable out from the attic along with some dusty old records and start spinning them. Then they get this rush of nostalgia that overwhelms them and they're hooked. True story! :)

Records are a PITA, no question about it. But they're a good PITA since nothing sounds like vinyl. I only gave away a few of my records from the collection when CDs were dominating back in the late 80s/early 90s. Nothing that I wasn't able to replace. Today, I'm sitting on a small fortune that someone will be blessed with once I check out. But until that day comes: https://blog.developer.bazaarvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/7

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    I have been very happy with the Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony MM cartridge I've been running, but I too am interested in trying a low output MC cartridge. I'd like to try the Hana ML cartridge or the Koetsu black. I've developed a serious case of upgradeitis this past year. I tried the Denon 110 high output moving coil cartridge and wasn't thrilled with it. I preferred the Shure V15 Type IV over the Denon with my system and the type of music I listen to. I haven't heard the Dynavector 10x5, but I'd like to at some point.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Regarding Denon carts, don't forget about the DL-301/II. Audio Technica has some nice LOMC carts as well. There are a few different OC9 variants to choose from, and the AT32/33 series sound nice as well IMO.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • dromunds
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I have been very happy with the Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony MM cartridge I've been running, but I too am interested in trying a low output MC cartridge. I'd like to try the Hana ML cartridge or the Koetsu black. I've developed a serious case of upgradeitis this past year. I tried the Denon 110 high output moving coil cartridge and wasn't thrilled with it. I preferred the Shure V15 Type IV over the Denon with my system and the type of music I listen to. I haven't heard the Dynavector 10x5, but I'd like to at some point.

Wow, I’ve had/have numerous iterations of the Shure V15’s going back to the early 70’s and they don’t hold a candle to the Denon DL-110 in my rig or any other rig I’ve put them in. The Denon DL-110 is a really nice cart. The DL-160 is a bit better, also very nice cart. I’ve never heard anyone say they weren’t thrilled with the DL-110, especially at the price they were before the recent price escalation.
  • Keiko
    edited March 2023
    newbie308 wrote: »

Wow, I’ve had/have numerous iterations of the Shure V15’s going back to the early 70’s and they don’t hold a candle to the Denon DL-110 in my rig or any other rig I’ve put them in. The Denon DL-110 is a really nice cart. The DL-160 is a bit better, also very nice cart. I’ve never heard anyone say they weren’t thrilled with the DL-110, especially at the price they were before the recent price escalation.

Like I always say, it's all subjective. BTW, waiting on the Goldring to get here today. :)

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2023
    jdjohn wrote: »
    and the AT32/33 series sound nice as well IMO.

AT33PTG/II is a great LOMC cartridge! And yes I've been on the uber pricey path before.

xcxrkbimaozp.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Keiko
    That is a beautiful cartridge, Rich.

I got the 1012GX in and installed yesterday. I took my time setting it up and nailed it the first time. It's dialed in perfectly and out of the box this cartridge sounds really good. It's high output is noticeable and what got my attention first was the amount of bass I heard. It has a very punchy low end yet the high frequency extension is also present. I'd say it has a warm tone to it, but still a very lively cartridge.

The very first album I listened to was one that Tophat Johnny sent me to rip for him. Puzzle's first album from 1973. I'd describe these guys as a jazz/rock/soul/funk fusion band. Kinda typical of groups from this era. The record is on the Motown label. Lots of horns with a funky rock beat. Good stuff and very busy album which I figured would be a good test for this cartridge.

Next up, I went with the newly remastered Can't Buy A Thrill. Another lively record that had me rockin' and into that early 70s vibe. Last album I spun was Simon and Garfunkel's, Concert In Central Park. Overall, I enjoyed this listening session and noted how dark the 1012GX was in between tracks. No surface noise that I could detect at all and absolutely no inner groove distortion which I'm especially sensitive to. This cartridge exhibited none of that which I attribute to it's Gyger II stylus profile.

Most carts I've tried when new sound like ****. When I first got my 10x5, it had me concerned because it sounded horrible until it broke in. This Goldring is just the opposite of all that and according to the manufacturer it takes about 20hrs to break this one in. IIRC, it took my Dynavector around 50hrs.

Anyway, I'm going to be spinning more today and I expect the 1012GX to only improve during this break in period. Is this going to be my new reference? I don't know. I really like the Dynavector a lot, and I'm liking this Goldring a lot. I guess I'll have to sit down one day and A/B the two to determine that. My 10x5 is a HOMC while the 1012GX is moving magnet. And both are a different flavor.

I'll post some images later on. I don't think this is a very attractive cartridge, but what she lacks in looks, she makes up for in sound. Stay tuned...
  • dromunds
    Congrats! I need to get my 1012 back in the rotation. Always liked it. Glad you’re enjoying yours. You can put a 1042 stylus in it sometime if that tickles your fancy as well
  • Keiko
    One ring to rule them all.

kkimenx064wr.jpg

ksq2l1969jyr.jpg

Sorry for the poor images. Using Janey's cell phone cam and it isn't the greatest. Second session is happening now. I played Pink Floyd's, Animals 2018 remix first. I cranked the volume up on this one a little. Never heard so much bass coming out of my RTi6's. Roger's bass was growling. Also noticed how deep the sound stage was on this. It's also wide, but the depth is something that I noticed more. Yeah, this cart is beginning to impress me the more I listen.

I have Brother's In Arms spinning at the moment. Earlier I had my MoFi copy of Gerry Rafferty's, City To City spinning. This was a gift from @nooshinjohn awhile back and I deeply appreciate his generosity. This is one of my favorite albums from back in the day and it brings back a lot of memories of high school and boot camp. Me and my kid brother used to listen to this all the time on our cheap, all in one Emerson. It sounded like a55, but we dug it anyway.

@dromunds, Yeah, I know the 1042 & 1022 styli are the ToTL for this cartridge. Once I wear this one out, I'll likely try the 1042. Curious to hear how much of an upgrade it actually is. The 1012GX sounds really good, IMHO. And for the price I paid for it, I couldn't be more pleased. DaCapo Audio is your hookup fellas. All in with shipping and the Audio Technica headshell I chose to mount this on cost me $311.00USD. Seriously, look up the prices on LP Gear, Amazon and Crutchfield. Compared, I got a bargain on this.

Time to flip the record... ;)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084

I've heard guys say this before, then one day they pull their old turntable out from the attic along with some dusty old records and start spinning them. Then they get this rush of nostalgia that overwhelms them and they're hooked. True story! :)

Records are a PITA, no question about it. But they're a good PITA since nothing sounds like vinyl. I only gave away a few of my records from the collection when CDs were dominating back in the late 80s/early 90s. Nothing that I wasn't able to replace. : https://blog.developer.bazaarvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/7

About a year ago I stopped by my dad's home (place where I grew up and I'm there's 3 times a week. He'll be 92 this summer)

Anywho, I went looking for some of my 'ol Rekids. Found about 20 of 'em. No clue what happened to the others.

Soo . . . . I've had a minor tug/itch to roll a cheap TT in and see what happens

Today, I'm sitting on a small fortune that someone will be blessed with once I check out. But until that day comes

I've thought about this kind of stuff . . . I just hope those that live on, realize what a small fortune it is worth and NOT just have a neighborhood garage sale. That'd Kill me, again!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308

People were talking about these when I was first getting back into records, but they were discontinued and becoming scarce.

Is it worth trying to find one, or is there another similar version I could check out?
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    They come up once in awhile. Sometimes you can find one with a broken stylus and you can get them retipped. The DL-110’s are still manufactured but have gone up in price.
  • Keiko
    The DL160s are great cartridges. It was my first dive into HOMCs. I bought mine to upgrade the stock DJ cartridge that came with the first generation of AT-LP120 that I purchased several years ago. These are decent, entry level tables and putting on that Denon cartridge took it to another level. It's really too bad Denon decided to discontinue them. I still have mine and now with all the cartridges I picked up over the past few months, I'll have to figure out some sort of rotation schedule. Really digging this Goldring at the moment tho.