Purchased used reserve R200. Noticed damage. Will this affect sound quality?

Options
Andons27
Andons27 Posts: 42
edited March 2023 in Speakers
8borannul5yf.jpg

They seem to sound ok. One speaker isn't damaged, but both sound about the same. Will the tip of the tweeter being broken like this matter? Should I try to negotiate a lower price or just send them back?

Answers

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    Find out the cost of a new tweeter, then negotiate.

Used is used but depending on how it was listed? That ain't mint. It's damaged.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Andons27
    Options
    It was listed in excellent condition...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    Well, you wouldn't have posted about it if you were pleased. If these were brought to me in this condition? I would want the tweeter replaced.

It may or may not affect the sound ( I am betting that it would throw of imaging a tad) but this is not, "excellent condition".

If you didn't accidentally do this yourself when unpacking?

Start the process in getting it corrected. It is definitely not the end of the world but it ain't excellent either.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Andons27
    edited March 2023
    Options
    No, the grills were on the speaker and it came in the original packaging. It also has a scuff on the top right side that wasn't in the pictures. Think I just got scammed off eBay because the seller has 100% positive feed back, but looking through the reviews there are duplicate reviews from 3 different users that I noticed. I paid $530. Starting a return, but I have a feeling the seller will never respond, but I have to wait for eBay until the 14th before they get involved. Lesson learned I guess.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    That's a bummer.
    Yeah, as noted, two options - try to negotiate damage concession, and get a new tweeter, or return.

If you're to any degree particular about your gear, and it sounds like you are, this sort of thing could gnaw at you for the rest of your days. It can ruin relationships, cause you to lose your job, even. I've seen it a million times.

What lesson have you learned?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Andons27
    Options
    eBay sellers with 1300 sales and 100% satisfaction ratings are probably scamming you somehow. I'm tempted to get my money back and send them back a box of bricks. Also, how do you find a new tweeter? I looked online and couldn't find anywhere to buy one...
  • msg
    Options
    Well, you're not really getting scammed though, are you? If you couldn't return them, you would be, but Ebay will take care of it, even if the seller won't. If the scuff and damaged tweeter weren't documented or described, that's your case.

Why not just return them and hold out for a clean pair?

We've all had disappointing experiences. Some have even cost us money. It'll continue to happen from time to time.

I think you'd get in touch with Polk CS for a new tweeter.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    The tip of the tweeter is VERY easily damaged. Believe it or not, you could have done that VERY easily removing the speaker from the box even with the grill on. Of course, the seller may have done it packing them and not even noticed. It's that easy to damage.
    I'm tempted to get my money back and send them back a box of bricks.

That does not reflect well on your character. Nor does your paranoia about sellers scamming you.

You can buy a new tweeter directly from Polk, just call them.

Finally, the slightly damaged tip will have no effect on what you hear.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Andons27
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I think it's a scam because the seller has hundreds of reviews that are fake and the speakers don't match the description and are damaged.

6je182uucmc9.jpg

Here's a screenshot taken of some of his reviews. I think they take open box items that are damaged and sell them for a premium item hoping the buyer will just overlook the issue or not notice. I was just mad because I felt like they were trying to rip me off, so I would get them back, but I realize that's not very cool. Ideally, I would negotiate. I'll let you guys know what happens...
  • F1nut
    Options
    I think it's a scam because the seller has hundreds of reviews that are fake and the speakers don't match the description and are damaged.

Dude, you've got serious issues.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    I almost had a heart attack when I unpacked my super heavy L600's. I barely swiped across one of the grills with my forearm around the tweeter area and felt the nipple. Didn't even realize how close that tweeter nipple is to the front grill.

Immediately after I realized what I accidentally did, I inspected the tweeter nipple and in my case it was fine. But I could see how the seller or even yourself could have inadvertently done the damage you show packing and unpacking.

I would suggest approaching the seller with a nicer tone than you are displaying here to try and get it resolved. Coming at them in an accusatory fashion isn't going to get you much. Also, this is part of the risks you run buying used rather than new gear. It happens to the best buyers/sellers. Some things just happen. As a buyer you are in the drivers seat if you cool your jets and are reasonable with the seller.

Good luck - and let me get some popcorn

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Andons27
    Options
    I realize how fragile the tweeter is and how easily you could damage it from handling the speaker, and was thinking about this while unpacking the speaker. This damage is from dropping the speaker. The Mark on the top, the broken tweeter. Also, I noticed the mid-range speaker was coming out of its seat and I had to push it back in.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,600
    Options
    You didn’t look at the seller’s feedback before buying from them? I’m not convinced it’s fake from your print screen above, but if that was enough for you to determine it was, I’d think you would’ve taken a hard pass.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Ok, now you're adding more damage to this thread. What else is wrong with them?. It's possible the kind of damage you've described so far could be shipping damage. What did the seller say?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Something got dropped alright, but it wasn't a speaker.

President of Club Polk

• Andons27
    Options
    He just responded and said that he thinks I dropped the speaker, or they're different speakers than the ones he sent me and won't negotiate anything. 04r42bo7a2ug.jpg
    2p2d7y0qqyvf.jpg

Here are more pictures of the total issues, it doesn't seem like much, but it's not something that would happen during shipping unless somebody opened the box for one reason or another and it didn't appear to be tampered with. I don't like being lied to, and while I can't prove that is the case, it appears to be the only conclusion I can come up with.
  • msg
    Options
    Woh dude, that's not a scuff. That was likely fumbled. It is without a doubt impact damage.

Were these shipped in the OE box, bag, and packing foam?

And none of this was shown in the listing photos or noted in the description?

Man, regardless of photos or description, I've taken to explicitly asking now, "Are there any function or cosmetic defects or blemishes not described or shown in the photos?"

I also always primarily shop only for gear with OE boxes and packing materials with few exceptions. If a seller is explicit in his description of packing process, I'll go with it in some cases. Some of the guys here on the forum pack gear better than stock. What I laugh at and walk from is, "Don't worry I pack real good check my feedback i ship lots of stuff w no problem", or if they give me crap on the questions, like it's too much trouble. Later B!

Ebay will likely be on your side.
    Do you have the link to the original listing? I wanna see this.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    When did you get these speakers?

I did some sleuthing. I found that seller on Ebay. I was trying to see those R200s, but guess maybe the history doesn't go back far enough.

Here's a list of his SOLD / COMPLETED ITEMS
    8b0cwsbj4un2.png

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Here's his feedback AS A SELLER. Your screenshot above includes his feedback as a buyer.
    Looks like recent sales aren't showing up
    vo1961525mh5.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Yep, I’m seeing the same thing.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    He posted this a couple weeks ago …
    Andons27 wrote: »
    Hello! I'm starting to collect new speakers for my 7.1 slowly. I'm replacing my RTI A9s, A3s, CSI-A6, and A1s. So far I have the R200 bookshelf speakers, but next, I plan on getting the R700 towers and R100s for rears most likely.

🤔
    Brian

• msg
    Options
    Ha! I remember that thread! I contributed to it!
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Options
    There haven't been any white R200's sold on eBay going back to Jan. 11th 2023.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    There haven't been any white R200's sold on eBay going back to Jan. 11th 2023.

well... the plot thickens, eh?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Weird how it doesn't show up in their completed listings, but yeah here is the original listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275697593574

That blemish up on the upper right hand side of the cabinet isn't shown, but it's hard to tell if the tweeter tip was already bent:
    jpyy0ez80l9d.png

Edit: Seller's original pics aren't great, but the tips look intact/undamaged:
    wdzqj2vdhops.png

Auction says original packing and double boxed even. If the damage was from transit then you'll need to open up a case with eBay. It states seller does not accept returns, but eBay will likely side with you and offer a refund.
  • msg
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »
    @OleBoot is the MASTER sleuth! I suck at Ebaying, apparently.

But yeah, as @Clipdat notes - I didn't see any damage in the listing photos, either.

And they're stated Excellent condition and "Comes double boxed in original packaging."

I'd definitely be opening a case on that. Bait and Switch! Franks and Beans!

I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    The serial numbers are on the back of the speakers in the photos in the Ebay listing. If they're the same as on what was received it's shipping damage and can be claimed through Ebay. If they're different...

I suspect it's just heavy handling during shipment and a drop from height though as the damaged speaker has a ripple in the front baffle at that corner.
  • Andons27
    Options
    The speakers were actually packaged pretty well. Was double boxed and taped nicely. They had all the original stuff from the boxes, even the white cover and plastic going over the speakers manual etc.
    txirti5ipzlj.jpg
    zzu6dsxxa6b0.jpg
  • Andons27
    Options
    The speaker looks like it hit a hard surface and scraped through the vinyl. Not something that happens in shipping.