Options
2»

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Saw Cocaine Bear Friday night. :o

OK, let me explain...

Both of my daughters work part time at our local movie theater and one of the 'perks' is free movies. They've both been into really cheesy movies lately and when we saw the preview for this a month or two ago (while we were seeing M3GAN - for free), we said, we've GOT to see it! So, opening night, my kids got some of complimentary tickets and we went with them and some friends.

All I can say is I would NOT pay the 12 bucks to see this movie. For free? Yeah, just for the curiosity.

My short review is to expect exactly what you think it is - a very exaggerated bloody gore (dark) comedy - like the Evil Dead movies. If there's a ridiculously bloody way for someone to die, they will. There were some laughs, jump scares, and cringeworthy bloodshed. I should have bought stock in prosthetic limbs and theatrical blood.

On a final note, kind of sad to see Ray Liotta in what would be his final role. He's certainly done a few better flicks in his career.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Well -- I mean -- Bela Lugosi exited with Plan 9 from Outer Space.
    I.e., it coulda been worse.

:#

74zasiuqzu2u.png

• newbie308
    Options
    I want the 5 minutes of my like back that I just spent reading this thread.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I want the 5 minutes of my like back that I just spent reading this thread.

Dude.
    You need to read faster.
    B)

A couple of lines should help out with that...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,584
    Options
    I obviously have no life. I went to YouTube and searched for and watched a couple trailers when this thread was posted.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I've had that danged J. J. Cale song* stuck in my head all day today. :#

Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    kind of sad to see Ray Liotta in what would be his final role. He's certainly done a few better flicks in his career.

Honestly, I would look at it from the other side. When I see older very respected actors in movies like this at the end of their career, I assume they are at the point of only working when it's fun. He probably had a blast on set and went home with a smile most days.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I was surprised to see a fairly straight-faced assessment of this movie from The New Yorker yesterday. :#

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/03/06/cocaine-bear-quiet-girl-movie-review
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    My son begged me to go see this with him tonight. After many eye-rolls, I realized that I really had noting else going on, so I figured what the hell…?

I have not laughed more in a movie theater since… I don’t know when. Is it stupid? Yea - but it knows it’s a stupid movie, and doesn’t pretend to be anything else. If you like a good dark comedy, and you’re not offended easily, you could do a lot worse…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,258
    Options
    Añd before Nostradamus the ancient Sumerians made reference to "The Bear" in the Epic of Gilgamesh.
    ......they didn't specifically say "Cocaine Bear" but it's pretty obvious that's who they meant.
    🐻
    Sal Palooza
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,683
    Options
    I'd have to hit a few brews first....

1kllw3ts4le7.png
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I know that one of the protagonists of Cover of the Rolling Stone
    [Had]... a freaky old lady name of Cocaine Katy
    Who embroiders on my jeans...

B)

https://youtu.be/-Ux3-a9RE1Q
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    It’s definitely a funny one ! Didn’t know Ray passed away! Another suddenly!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Make fun of that Bear all ya want, he'll be up for best supporting actor next year Oscar time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Make fun of that Bear all ya want, he'll be up for best supporting actor next year Oscar time.

Ursines are definitely under-represented in the Academy. :|

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,258
    Options
    And when's the last time a chacma was prominent in a featured Hollywood film ?

Clint Eastwood did his part for diversity and inclusion bit that was over 4 decades ago.

Gubbermint needs to address this injustice !
    🕵️‍♂️
    Sal Palooza
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,427
    Options
    I was surprised when I read the other week that Elizabeth Banks directed this philum.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Also, skimming the stills on IMDB, I saw that Russ had a bit in the film, as well.

@lightman1
    7osjawgybuqs.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    :D:D:D doppelganger
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Figured him for a Nikon or a Canon man, though, not an Asahi Pentax. B)
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,487
    Options
    ^ I had that exact same camera, I brought one back for my dad from Okinawa.
  • msg
    Options

jeeze, Eagle Eyes Hardy up there! ^^^
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »

jeeze, Eagle Eyes Hardy up there! ^^^

Have you not heard?
    We do cameras in my family. B)

The younger Dr. Hardy's blog: http://icouldbeahero.blogspot.com/

24402032283_eb7cc07c2f_b.jpg

pjdapr9jz5db.png

49002808446_b110ae789d_b.jpg

49002808156_85699984f2_b.jpg

49002808691_4b63d40b41_b.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Options
    We do bears, too. No cocaine, though, thankfully.
    Imagine mamma on Peruvian Marching Powder? :#

52118811630_b9d60c36f9_b.jpg

52118811440_abb494773a_b.jpg
    (not sure if you can tell but there are two cubs tagging along with mumsie)
  • msg
    Options
    sooo, wait a minute, just clarifying here - are you guys into photography? :D

I have a few, but only one or two cool old ones. I should probably display them and take photos of them.

I remember those clocks. unpleasantly alarming.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Options
    On the old TV series M*A*S*H, a patient once asked Hawkeye Pierce if he was a doctor.
    Capt. Pierce's reply (as best I remember it):
    No, I have a white coat fetish, and this is the only place I can get away with it.

We (the two Drs. H) probably just have a bit of a camera fetish. Does that have anything to do with photography?
    Not necessarily. B)

Actually, the younger Dr. H is an extremely good photographer.
    Me? Not so much. See the fuzzy bear(s) above. :#

• msg
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Have you not heard?
    We do cameras in my family. B)
    here's one!
    ed1nrp56gk8q.jpg
    0eho1p2c7zdz.jpg

Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Options
    very cool! I don't believe I've ever seen a Konica rangefinder! :) Great images, too.

That said, chances are if I ask my son about them, he'll probably say something like this:
    "We have one. It's in a box in your basement."
    He uses the first person plural to describe "our" (mostly his) cameras, for reasons that remain opaque. ;)

In seriousness, though -- I don't think there's a Konica RF here or in NoVA as part of the family :p collection.

Does that use the classic Leica screw mount (I am too lazy to look it up... 40 mm, maybe??) or a bayonet?

EDIT: Yeah, that is definitely an interesting camera!
    https://www.dantestella.com/technical/koni3.html
    Fixed lens. :|

Lest I be accused of straying off-topic:
    Keep it away from bears!
  • msg
    Options
    I need to break it out again. Last I messed with it, the shutter was sticky. I found a shop in San Antonio who said they could fix it.

I received it from my mother's uncle, my Great Uncle John. Arrived in a box wrapped in an old quilted flannel shirt/jacket, with a short letter and folded slip of paper with notes on the last roll of film he ran through it. Kinda neat. I even got to keep the shirt jacket as a bonus.
    I disabled signatures.