Say Hi and My Monitor 5b

Options
First post here so just wanted to say Hi!

I came across this forum at the weekend whilst researching if a pair of Monitors were a good purchase ($15 at the local goodwill, one mid woofer has a small tear in it and 3 of the grill posts are broken on that same speaker and it had been glued to the cabinet!!! Also the dust cap on the other mid driver has been pushed in so needs to try pop that out!)

From a post here I worked them out to be the 5b, they're in excellent shape aside from the above few issues, I've ordered a used driver off eBay for $59 delivered but also plan to repair the one I have, so I at least have a back up.

I've been reading up on these and what modifications to do, for now I want to enjoy them in original form and plan upgrades from there (it appears some people like the tweeters but most don't, so we'll see how my old worn out ears feel about them! I'm by no means an audiophile!!),

Only thing I am going to do is some JB weld on the magnets to prevent any slip issues later down the line, just a little on the front and back plate to magnet joint correct?

Anyway thanks for listening
Ash
ptliat4f8nns.jpg
s2y41svn2qdp.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    Good score and ditto on the welcome to the forum!

Keep that ripped mid. You might need parts from it one day.

Looking forward to your opinions on the 5B!
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    Welcome. The "Search" function is your friend. Good find for $15.00, especially if you enjoy a project.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,600
    Options
    proudy202 wrote: »

Only thing I am going to do is some JB weld on the magnets to prevent any slip issues later down the line, just a little on the front and back plate to magnet joint correct?

If you call "a little" a complete bead all the way around, then yes.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    Nice find. You can get the grill posts from Parts Express. https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-components/cabinet-hardware-speaker-grill-cloth/Grill-Guides-Grill-Frame-Kits
    I used the small for my Monitor5B.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    Good Score. Fully modded, the 5B's are formidable for their footprint. Welcome to the rabbit-hole as they say.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.