Seriously!?!?...

Options
Just gave my beat up Monitor 7b's some much needed attention. Along with all the normal mods I also replaced the vinyl wrap with veneer, rebuilt the crossovers, and installed some front to back cabinet bracing. Everything was going smoothly and then this happened! Seriously!?

onoc1yc2r1en.jpg

I guess in my attempt to make sure everything was sealed as tight as possible, I over torqued the screws. Definitely won't seal properly with that piece broken out. The plastic is 40 years old too, but obviously it was my fault.

I made a couple of plates out of 16 gauge steel as a temporary fix while I try to find a replacement, but they might just stay though. They look decent and are definitely functional. Plus who looks at the back of a speaker anyway?

ztlu1in1effw.jpg
qhztpnkll4zj.jpg

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Hmm. Pretty dang close to where the braces are located.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Hurricane nuts and threaded bolts, torque them down and your cabinet will also stiffen/strengthen there.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    Don't feel bad, not your fault. Mine (1980) had disintegrated around most of the screw holes without being touched. I replaced mine with custom fabricated aluminum discs and Cardas posts.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • subkron
    subkron Posts: 57
    Options
    I had the same issue about 4 weeks ago on one of my 7Bs. My fix was my son 3d printed out a black "ring" about 0.09" thick and I used jbweld to epoxy the ring to the plate inside surface. Drilled out for screws, then screwed the plate on at the broken areas with longer screws and a large flat washer to capture the remaining plastic. Seems to work well for me, at some point I will look to replace the plate as well.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Does this imply we are ALL getting OLD?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA