AudioQuest cable goes bad?

Options
Anyone have an AudioQuest HDMI cable go out?? I have a 4K, chocolate I believe. I first started noticing that my display was reading "no signal" from the bluray player. Then the display had flickering lights on full screen on dark scenes and sometimes one third of the screen, horizontally from edge to edge would be total snow. I thought my LG was going out :neutral: I checked the connection from processor to display, then from brp to processor. All looked good. Then I swapped out the cable from brp to processor and presto. I've had the cable for about 6 months now, brand new purchase from local audio/theater store. I think these are warranted. Any truth to that rumor? Thanks
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I have had a Audioquest HDMI malfunction. Disclaimer though, I purchased it at a thrift store, so I can’t know if the original owner damaged it in some way or not. I didn’t notice any cosmetic signs of abuse, though.

The picture was very dark on my tv when using the cable. Swapped a no name HDMI cable and it looked fine.

Again, can’t claim to know the reason mine failed.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Contact AudioQuest directly and they will take care of you.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Any cable can go bad.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Audioquest Thanos

Just snap your fingers have hook up
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Anyone have an AudioQuest HDMI cable go out?? I have a 4K, chocolate I believe.
    Melting, likely. TX heat. Seen it a million times.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    In all seriousness, yeah, I'd get in touch with them on that.
    does look like lifetime warranty for original owners, non-transferrable.
    https://www.audioquest.com/warranty
    https://www.audioquest.com/resource/1296/AQ-Product-Warranty-General-US.pdf
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I'm an Audioquest dealer. I have been using and installing Audioquest cable since like 2003 or 2003. In all the years I have been installing and using their cables, up until just recently, I never seen any of them ever fail. I have cables from them from the 90's and they all work, all of them.

Audioquest in my experience has been the most reliable cable company period. I have used all the top brands and many of the not so popular brands on the market for the last 30 years. I have seen so many failures from other companies and is one of the biggest reason I have been using Audioquest for so long and basically dropped all other brands. I only hold 3 companies close and they are Audioquest, Kimber Kable and Cardas. Those are the top 3 companies to me in the world of home audio, professional audio Mogami is where it's at. I'm a guitar player and there cables are top notch followed strongly by Whirlwind.

So with all that said, I have seen the Cherry cold long Fiber Optical cable fail out of the box and after it was installed for months or years since that cables release. It's the only cable Audioquest makes that I have seen fail.

I had a full system of Chocolate in my personal main system and have sold and installed hundreds of them with no failure. Cables usually don't just fail. It's when you bend them and twist them when then fail. Audioquest does have one flaw that can cause failure in the fact they rely on solid conductors and I don't think it's the best idea. First off, most if not all Audioquest HDMI cables are a pain in the **** to use. They are so stupidly stiff and not easily to use and this is where failure could and can occur. You most of the time have to twist and bend them what feels un naturally to get them to route the way then need to between your equipment.

If you have a bad HDMI cable from Audioquest , call them and get a replacement. They will help you they take great pride in their cables. I have only called in Cherry Cola cables so I have no experience with failures from Chocolate. Hell I might still have some Chocolate laying around. I have so many of them personally owned from Pearl to Carbon. I stop there as Im all out on the batteries, try routing Batteries with stiff HDMI cables and an angry Mantis you will see.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited January 2023
    Options
    HDMI cables are quite complex inside. They may ask for it to be returned to figure out what happened to it that caused the failure. Limited lifetime warranty on cables is cool.

A good dealer would take care of the problem for you.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    Options
    UP DATE:

So, the cable was a cinnamon cable. I got them from Bjorns when I worked there. I had a second cinnamon cable and installed that one in place of the bad one from brp to processor. Issue solved. I took the failed cable back to Bjorns and instead of replacing it, turned that one in for a 5M forrest cable and used it to replace the monoprice cable from processor to display.......oh my gosh, what a difference I didn't expect. What's that "The Monkeys" song, Now I'm a believer.......
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Run Choclates in two different rigs, for quite sometime never had an issue. Good advice above try getting a hold of Audioquest on said issue good luck.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I got two of Dan's old chocolates work as intended. The only problem I've had was the older cinnamon would turn sticky as glue at the connection ends. Nasty sticky!
  • msg
    Options
    99% ISO and a shop towel should fix that up, Ivan. I run into that problem with a lot of stuff, but first discovered it for cleaning old URC remotes, which would get like that.

I've found sometimes that the trick here isn't necessarily to wipe it all completely clean, but sometimes just to give it a wipe to remove the "outer" film. Sounds weird, but sometimes, if you keep going to try to remove it all, it just keeps going forever and ever, and stays tacky. You'll know which situation you're in once you get started.

I found old Squeezebox remotes to be this way, but just recently discovered that if I just gave them a good wipe with the shop towel and alcohol and let the alcohol evaporate, the tackiness would go away, and they'd be back to their usual matte feel.

I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2023
    Options
    WD40 on a shop cloth did the trick for me. Yes you're correct that you definitely can go too far trying to get perfectly clean and it goes on like the Eveready bunny.
    I'll remember the 99% ISO alcohol next time. It definitely will evaporate better than WD40. I did use the plastic HDMI covers to keep out of the ends.
  • mantis
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I got two of Dan's old chocolates work as intended. The only problem I've had was the older cinnamon would turn sticky as glue at the connection ends. Nasty sticky!
    I noticed that to with those older design heads. They put some kind of soft touch material on them and it did exactly that. But they didn't fail due to that.

Dan
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    @mantis in retrospect, this could have been a bad cable that squeaked by QA.

Shortly after I installed this cable, within weeks, I started getting snow across the bottom of the screen. I thought it was the TV, I'd turn off the display and turn it back on then it would be fine. So all along, this cable would work fine for the most part, occasionally doing it's thing, making me think my display was acting weird. And now, a year later, the cable is saying, I've had enough. What honed it in for me, was when the Marantz would say, "no signal" when accessing the BRP. I'd toggle back and forth between TV AUDIO and back to BRP and get the signal....and of course now I'm thinking my BRP HDMI port is going out on the Marantz. That's when I swapped out the cable. The rest is history

• msg
    Options
    WD40 on a shop cloth did the trick for me. Yes you're correct that you definitely can go too far trying to get perfectly clean and it goes on like the Eveready bunny.
    I'll remember the 99% ISO alcohol next time. It definitely will evaporate better than WD40. I did use the plastic HDMI covers to keep out of the ends.

Interesting. I'll have to give the WD40 a try. Could follow up with the alcohol after to remove the WD40. Whatever one uses, don't let it be brake cleaner or acetone, lol Acetone works GREAT! The problem is with some plastics, at least, it never stops working lol

It's funny, shortly after I posted that last message, I was reorganizing some stuff in my main 2ch, and found that the back ports bezel on my SBT was sticky like that. Had to remember to follow my own suggestion.

Also, adjustment - shop towels aren't great for this, because the alcohol and stickiness causes them to break down, and bits get stuck. An old t-shirt works much better.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2023
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I noticed that to with those older design heads. They put some kind of soft touch material on them and it did exactly that. But they didn't fail due to that.

No they have not failed in any way. Just a nuisance. In my case once cleaned it has not happened again

Scott my shop rags are old wash cloths, dish towels and such.
    Old T-shirts are saved for bore cleaning 😉
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    I just use the wig of my 3rd mistress. The strands act like ultra fine sandpaper. If it's really stubborn I'll use her teeth to scrape off the debris and return them to her.

I just tell her that I am cleaning them and the old hag hasn't caught on yet, so I guess I won't fix what ain't broke. She has complained in the past about strange tastes in her mouth before though. Bless her heart.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    @mantis in retrospect, this could have been a bad cable that squeaked by QA.

Shortly after I installed this cable, within weeks, I started getting snow across the bottom of the screen. I thought it was the TV, I'd turn off the display and turn it back on then it would be fine. So all along, this cable would work fine for the most part, occasionally doing it's thing, making me think my display was acting weird. And now, a year later, the cable is saying, I've had enough. What honed it in for me, was when the Marantz would say, "no signal" when accessing the BRP. I'd toggle back and forth between TV AUDIO and back to BRP and get the signal....and of course now I'm thinking my BRP HDMI port is going out on the Marantz. That's when I swapped out the cable. The rest is history
    Sorry you had to deal with that.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options

No they have not failed in any way. Just a nuisance. In my case once cleaned it has not happened again

Scott my shop rags are old wash cloths, dish towels and such.
    Old T-shirts are saved for bore cleaning 😉

That's good to hear.
    Dan
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited January 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I just use the wig of my 3rd mistress. The strands act like ultra fine sandpaper. If it's really stubborn I'll use her teeth to scrape off the debris and return them to her.

I just tell her that I am cleaning them and the old hag hasn't caught on yet, so I guess I won't fix what ain't broke. She has complained in the past about strange tastes in her mouth before though. Bless her heart.

Tom

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I've not met you, but if the pics are true, no scouring material shall be obtained from your glistening dome... 😀
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Sorry you had to deal with that.

Aw man, thanks for the sentiment, seriously, but I've only been involved with H.T. for a relatively short while so all experiences are a learning experience, and.....it led me to the audioquest upgrade on my display B)

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    None at all, Dave. LOL

That's why I borrow the wig. :D

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~