Was going to list my Oppo 103 to sell for 3 hunge but then.....

As I was rounding up all the original stuff that came with my Oppo 103 my wife mentioned something I hadn't remembered....
She said didn't you take that out of the system cause you said something was wrong?

So I plugged it in at the kitchen outlet to give it a test that it was reading everything ok.
CD yep, SACD yep, DVD-A yep, Blu-Ray yep all's well with the display.

After wiping the dust off and packaging up the cords & what not I thought I'd better make sure.
Unplugged my Oppo 105D from this system and hooked up the 103. Sure as hell there it was. Loud hum from the right channel along with some noise from the left.
I'm so glad I have an audio wife that spoke up before sending this off to someone.

Anywho... if there's anybody that has the ability to diagnose Oppo disc players with the ability to repair I'll ship it off to you for the cost of shipping.

Excellent physical condition with one small scratch I saw on the top above the power cord port.
Have the remote, HDMI cable, Power Cord, original manual, original shipping container, original purchase receipt from Oppo and the USB wireless extension.

The original shipping container looks like it had gotten wet from the box sitting in the wife's laundry room.
The Oppo was not in the box during storage. I always keep my shipping containers just in case.

Here's some pics....
y5bh4ke0m0sz.jpg

Comments

• simm
    simm Posts: 564
    I think Oppo does repairs for a flat fee. May want to check them out and see if it is worthwhile to repair and then sell.
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    I would like to take a shot at fixing it for sure. PM inbound.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,140
    ^ Thought Oppo went out of business on their disc players....
    I'll try to contact them.

Skip
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,240
    Should be able to use as a transport...SACD will require a DSD compatible DAC with HDMI
    or use as transport over optical
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • skipshot12
    Sent an email to Oppo.
    Thank you simm.
    Navy_Goat wrote: »
    I would like to take a shot at fixing it for sure. PM inbound.

Navy_Goat,
    Lemme find out what Oppo says.
    I'll get back to you via PM.
  • skipshot12
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Should be able to use as a transport...SACD will require a DSD compatible DAC with HDMI
    or use as transport over optical

Thanks txcoast,
    Was looking at sending it bye bye.

Have an Oppo 105D, Marantz BD8002, Pioneer DV-AX10 and a Marantz DV9600 I use for my discs.
    Was looking at thinning the herd of my hoarding 🤣

Will update shortly....
  • txcoastal1
    Understood, but if someone was is need for a disc player and has a DAC...especially one with HDMI they could play at least CD's (hdmi sacd's)...or to an AVR via HDMI and still use all the functionality as an AV player
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• skipshot12
    ^ 👍
    Will update this once I hear from Oppo.
    Sent an email yesterday.

Skip
  • skipshot12
    Either way my 103 will be given away or sold.
    Dependent on if repair is feasible.
    I’d rather pass it on in working order. It is a fine player.
  • skipshot12
    Well damn….
    Just received an email from Oppo asking me to describe the issue with my 103.
    This is very encouraging.
  • txcoastal1
    Hummmmmm

Can you fix it??

😂😂🤦‍♂️

• skipshot12
    We’ll see..,
    Haven’t sentenced the return email yet.
    Hope so.

Will post here as it unfolds….
  • txcoastal1
    That was a joke...describing your reply

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,292
    edited January 2023
    Have you followed and down loaded all the updates for these players?
    Just curious as my 205 had 5 or 6

FWIW when I had a problem with my 205 Oppo helped a great deal.
    Do not sell them short
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,914
    IME, an update will not help with any kind of hum. Especially when said hum is different in each respective channel.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,582
    Humdinger of a problem
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    HmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • skipshot12
    edited January 2023
    This is very embarrassing and humbling, I'm such an idiot.
    This is the email I had to send to Oppo.....

Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • skipshot12
    There's a good side and a bad side to this experience, the bad side's I'm a dumb-**** & the good side is there's absolutely nothing wrong with my Oppo 103.

With that, I'll be contacting the first person wanting the disc player that PM'd me...
    If that falls thru I'll be back to update.

Skip

P.S. I did a factory reset to erase all my settinegs.
    Also, I've never updated the software. Reason being, if it ain't broke don't f with it. It plays flawless. Verified via Blu-Ray, DVD & DVD-A along with CD's. Did not play any of my SACD's yet but I'll do that tonight just to be sure.
  • skipshot12
    Damn, thank you John.
    Another beer induced post 🤪

How do I do that?

Skip
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,830
    I think you only have an hour to edit a post, unfortunately.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • skipshot12
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Do not sell them short

I actually haven’t done the first update since I purchased it from Oppo new.

Have always been a tad leery of updates.
  • skipshot12
    PM sent to first buy inquiry….
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2023
    skipshot12 wrote: »

Do not sell them short

I've done all of them on the 205 I own. Some movies had problems and Oppo corrected the problem with a firmware update. It was very easy with a thumb drive. If you haven't done any start at the first for your unit or YES it will be problematic
  • pitdogg2
    Damn, thank you John.
    Another beer induced post 🤪

How do I do that?

Skip

flag your post and ask mod to remove the information you want removed. In other words make that info bold and say remove the bold type please.
  • skipshot12
    Thank John,

Flagged & explained my dingus move.
  • skipshot12

Do not sell them short

I've done all of them on the 205 I own. Some movies had problems and Oppo corrected the problem with a firmware update. It was very easy with a thumb drive. If you haven't done any start at the first for your unit or YES it will be problematic

Read about the update thing you posted.
    Gonna do that with my 105D.
    Will try via internet connection. Looking for a long enough cable to get it done.
    Never set my Oppo’s up with wifi.

Thank you.
  • pitdogg2

Do not sell them short

Read about the update thing you posted.
    Gonna do that with my 105D.
    Will try via internet connection. Looking for a long enough cable to get it done.
    Never set my Oppo’s up with wifi.

Thank you.

NEVER do an update over wi-fi, that is asking for trouble. I've heard of folks bricking their device updating over an unstable connection. That is why I said thumb drive, those are cheap and you download the entire file before you are updating. Plug it in update and let it go. some take awhile, interuption or loss of power bad things happen and a brick may be the result