Full tube bob carver new pre amp

x09kuqhpxntd.png
It's up on his new website

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Why would you want 12 tubes in a preamp?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Bob's philosophy was that the more tubes in a preamp, the lower the noise and better the signal. He had many more words to define this but that was 15 years ago when he told this to me.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I don’t care for the looks… the headphone jack is hideous, and where are the VU meters Bob loves so much?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2022
    Reminds me a wee bit of the statement preamp that Mark Deneen designed for Peter Pritchard (ADC) late in the arc of the "real" ADC.
    I stumbled across one on eBAY long, long ago for the princely sum of $13 (shipping wasn't even too bad back then, although it was pretty heavy). It had one channel that had very low output and resisted all of my attempts to troubleshoot it. Long story short, I ended up donating it to Deneen, who -- didn't actually have one, but rather wanted one for nostalgia or just for his collection.

rg3gvgbnhxke.jpg

13 Fourteen 6DJ8s. Not as bizarre as it sounds -- all of the "active" tubes in the circuit had vacuum tube constant current source loads on the cathodes. That's 26 triodes in one stereo preamp.
    Had a pair of Jensen SUTs for MC phono, too.
    Definitely the most interesting thing I ever found on eBAY. :)

73s1c0f52be5.jpg