Can I use XLR cable with RCA adapters

I recently changed amps and my new one isn't a balanced design. I've got a really nice pair of Wireworld Gold Eclipse XLR's so can I just use XLR to RCA adapters on each end and use it for my DAC RCA to amp RCA connections?
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Sure but for the amount that you'll spend on quality adaptors that don't degrade the signal (Cardas, etc) you'll be better off just getting some different ICs.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited December 2022
    Well the equivalent Wireworld RCA cables are over $1K so I thought I'd try it first and see. I just wanted to make sure it would work with an adapter on both ends. You really think something like this would degrade the signal? A lot of cable companies seem to use Neutrik connectors.
    https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/na2mpmm
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Clipdat
    Those would absolutely degrade the performance of your WW XLRs.

https://www.thecableco.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=cardas+xlr+rca&cat=

Even these arguably might and you're looking at $400 worth of adaptors.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    You can, but why would you?
    No value added, indeed, the value of balanced I/O is lost.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    edited December 2022
    Jenson transformer would be half as much as new wireworld cables, $499
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Tough crowd. The 'cable', of course, is still fine, but the added hand-off connections on the ends are compromised. How much will it truly impact the sound? Only the listener can answer.

Here is a rather radical thought: if you have enough cable length to spare, you could de-solder the XLR plugs, trim the exposed conductors by a half-inch or so, and then install some high-quality, locking, RCA plugs. Later, again, if there's enough length, you could later re-install the XLR plugs, if needed.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Great way to take the value of the XLRs from $1k down to zero.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Doesn’t hurt to try if you just want to experiment. True, you won’t be balanced anymore; true xlr-to-rca adapters probably don’t have fancy metallurgy; however, for small outlay you can find out how it actually sounds and report back your impressions.

I had to do this when I was running 2.2 using an Arcam a75+ as preamp (rca) into driverack pa+ EQ/crossover (balanced) into b&k 125.2 for main speakers and crown amp into dual SVS cylinder subs; both amps balanced.

Sounded darn good.

Worst case scenario, you could return the adapters.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jdjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Great way to take the value of the XLRs from $1k down to zero.
    How are you defining 'XLRs'? The raw cable, the plugs? If you plan to keep both pieces indefinitely, then who cares about 'value'? I guess the implication is that the individual parts are worth less than the whole.

I have a very different perspective on cables, since I typically roll make my own.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I don't see a problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dragon1952
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

The thing is the XLR and RCA version of this cable is identical material and geometry-wise. The only difference is the connectors. I can no longer use XLR as my amp isn't balanced but maybe I can retain the sonic signature of the cable, or most of it? I got a really good deal on these cables and I can't afford the $1k to get the real RCA version.

• Clipdat
    edited December 2022
    If you are sure you aren't going to be needing those XLRs anymore then you can sell them and get the RCA version. Or buy from a place that allows you to trade in/up, I'm sure they will accommodate you and make you a deal.

I just don't think it's worth it to be putting money into adapters that won't serve your aural bottom line.

Contact Skip at Audio Thesis, he's still a WW dealer. He should be able to help you out.

Alternatively you could always send them in to WW to be re-terminated.
  • dragon1952
    The re-termination might be a good option....never thought of that. As far as selling you know how that goes. I could probably get half of what I'd need to replace :^ / I'm going to check on the re-termination idea.
  • Clipdat
    Cool, let us know what you find out from WW.

Always preferable to factory re-terminate with official invoice/documentation, versus doing it yourself with off the shelf connectors - specifically in terms of resale value and overall quality.

Again, just my opinion.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited December 2022
    you could try it with adapters from an easy returns place like Amazon and see what you think. I just saw some Cardas ones for $120. see what you think. then you still have your WW RCAs for when you realize you don't like your new amp? :D

https://www.amazon.com/Cardas-Audio-Male-Adapters-MRCA-MXLR/dp/B00VMVJ6K6
    9ec4idh0btl2.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

The thing is the XLR and RCA version of this cable is identical material and geometry-wise. The only difference is the connectors. I can no longer use XLR as my amp isn't balanced but maybe I can retain the sonic signature of the cable, or most of it? I got a really good deal on these cables and I can't afford the $1k to get the real RCA version.

ahh, OK. Got it.
    Doesn't hurt to try, although the XLR cable won't be identical to the unbalanced cable, by definition.
  • dragon1952
    Wireworld wants $350 for re-termination. That wouldn't include shipping of course :^ / I could sell mine and buy the RCA version for that.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Drill a hole in your amp and install xlr jacks
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Wireworld wants $350 for re-termination. That wouldn't include shipping of course :^ / I could sell mine and buy the RCA version for that.

Wow that's excessive. I wasn't expecting the re-termination service to be that expensive.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Ya the WW ends are spendy being that they are silver coated OFC copper terminals. I was going to do my own but because of the intricate design of their wiring I chose to just cough up the money and have them do it. If you want to give it a go though I still have the terminal ends somewhere.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Green tax... WTF?
  • jdjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wireworld wants $350 for re-termination.

Wow that's excessive. I wasn't expecting the re-termination service to be that expensive.
    A little naive of you, Drew.
  • F1nut
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Green tax... WTF?

Coming to the USA soon no doubt.

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    F1nut wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Green tax... WTF?

Coming to the USA soon no doubt.
    Pucker-up, butter-cup.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2022
    jdjohn wrote: »
    A little naive of you, Drew.

Really, Jody? Naive?

I just inquired with Audioquest on how much it would cost to factory re-terminate a pair of Yukon XLRs to RCA connectors - they use similar silver plated connectors and it was quoted as $160- so $190 less that Wireworld charges.

So me being surprised at Wireworld's re-termination fee isn't being "naive" at all, it's actually justified since their price is over double that of what Audioquest charges.

"From: Dustin Cairns <dcairns@audioquest.com>
    Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2022 4:57 PM
    To: Drew
    Cc: Peter den Haan <pdenhaan@audioquest.nl>
    Subject: RE: Re-termination for Yukon XLRs

Hello Drew,

To re-terminate all ends of a pair of Yukon XLR’s to RCA’s would be $160. I have attached our return authorization form, just follow the instructions below to obtain a RMA number for the re-termination."
  • jdjohn
    "Naive" was perhaps a poor choice of words on my part, but we shouldn't be surprised that the cost to re-terminate a $1,000 cable is about double the cost for re-terminating a $500 cable. I agree that it is excessive, but again, not surprising.

Btw, I am an ambidextrous solderer. Maybe I could get some part-time work with WireWorld.
  • msg wrote: »
    you could try it with adapters from an easy returns place like Amazon and see what you think. I just saw some Cardas ones for $120. see what you think. then you still have your WW RCAs for when you realize you don't like your new amp? :D

https://www.amazon.com/Cardas-Audio-Male-Adapters-MRCA-MXLR/dp/B00VMVJ6K6
    9ec4idh0btl2.png

I would try these first. Not a huge investment and Amazon easy return policy