Setup and upgrade help needed so jump in

Options
2»

Comments

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The values are printed on the components. Space will become an issue as new film caps are considerably larger. For the two 130uF caps you will have to use Solen. For the other caps, Sonicap Gen I or Clarity CSA are good choices. For resistors, Mills or Vishay Mills.

Forget the eBay guy unless that is DHS Speaker Service, who is westmassguy here.

What Jesse said about space.
    The two black 130uf caps are replacing the two blue 130uf caps at the bottom of the pc board pic... to give a size comparison.
    cid:04C83D34-B84A-42BF-8FE6-E3650B883112@lan
    3n7fmyoww82j.png
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited April 2023
    Options
    This should always be the first place to look for crossover components as well as other speaker related items.
    https://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/225-ohm-vishay-mills-mra-12-p-4692?osCsid=bkufstcmnagg5tjacdjiv9rqq7

Edit: I see Ivan beat me to it B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cmptrgydv
    cmptrgydv Posts: 23
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

lol ok you told me the component values are on the components. and now you change the rules lol I have all the other resistors in my cart at sonic craft but I was only looking at the 5watt resistors. so I can use the 12 watt?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Yes you can, most of us do move up in wattage (in resistors) while keeping the ohm values the same. It's cheap insurance so to speak.
  • cmptrgydv
    Options
    ok I have my parts list as follows

crossover parts list

capacitors

2/ 130 uF
    2/ 20 uF
    1/ 92 uF
    1/ 12 uF
    1/ 4.4 uF

resistors

2/ 22.5 ohm
    1/ 15 ohm
    1/ 7.5 ohm
    1/ 2.7 ohm

all the capacitors are Solen Polypropylene Capacitor
    but I could not find the 4.4 ones using solen. so I found a 4.4 using sonicap
    I could use all solen caps if I use 2/ 2.2 uF caps. is it going to hurt anything to use the sonicaps
    for the 4.4 ?
  • cmptrgydv
    edited April 2023
    Options
    also could not find the 92uF caps. so using 1/ 82uF and 1/ 10uF together

total cost $700 to do both crossovers
  • F1nut
    Options
    Never use Solen except for the shunt circuit.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cmptrgydv
    Options
    ok all sonicaps?
  • F1nut
    Options
    cmptrgydv wrote: »
    ok all sonicaps?

Just the 4.4, 12 and 20. You'll have to use Solen for the others.

President of Club Polk

• cmptrgydv
    Options
    ok wow it's over $1,000
  • cmptrgydv
    Options
    ok all sonicaps?

Just the 4.4, 12 and 20. You'll have to use Solen for the others.

ok and I will be ok using the 82uF and the 10uF caps for the 92uF ?
  • F1nut
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ok wow it's over $1,000

What!?!

4.4uF x 2 = 95.60
    12uF x 2 = 111.20
    20uF x 4 = 275.68
    Total = $482.48

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Parts Connexion has Solen PB caps.

It's best to split values as equal as possible. Otherwise, you could use a 91uF and ask if they can find some closer to 92uF.

Their prices are considerably cheaper than PE. For example, the 130uF is $45.76 compared to $79.30.

President of Club Polk

• cmptrgydv
    Options
    the $1,000 is total for everything for both crossovers from parts express and sonic craft. but the 12uF caps are on back order from sonic craft anyway. i'll go look at parts connexion
  • cmptrgydv
    Options
    Parts Connexion has Solen PB caps.

It's best to split values as equal as possible. Otherwise, you could use a 91uF and ask if they can find some closer to 92uF.

Their prices are considerably cheaper than PE. For example, the 130uF is $45.76 compared to $79.30.

ok my inventory so far sonicap said they won't have the 12uf caps for at least 3 weeks. also can't find the 7.5 resistor in the mills vishay. but they have them in the mills MRA-10 what is the difference and can I use the MRA's? so I could use just a 91uf cap? or the closest I can find would be a 36uf and 56ufnoz4c08pumgs.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    The MRA 10 watt is fine.

If it was me I'd go with the 36 and 56.

President of Club Polk

• rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    cmv9ra1iiqck.jpg OK got tweeters installed I am now looking at updating the crossovers. can anyone tell me if these caps look bulged or were they just made that way.

Even if not bulged or leaking capacitors loose there value after years. Capacitors last about 20 years and need to be replaced.