Thoughts on Paypal?

Options
CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,680
    edited November 2022
    Options
    How do you get a misinformation fine paying for goods?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,406
    Options
    I shut my own PalPal account a couple years ago because I no longer had much of a use for it and other payment methods not involving direct access to my bank are available. I never had a problem with their service but I just consider it more of potential liability than a benefit. Outdated.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,138
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

you know, the african prince send me $3000 and I will pay you $10000 when I get to the states
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,918
    Options
    It's not a social media site, so I fail to understand why they are pretending like they are.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,406
    Options
    The full story is kind of murky. From what I understand the legalese in their terms of service documents have always had a provision to potentially take funds from a person’s linked account if the account has been used to accept money from activities that violate the company’s terms of service.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's not a social media site, so I fail to understand why they are pretending like they are.

The article referenced Venmo as having a social media aspect to it, and it is a sister company to Paypal.

It also seems they may make value judgments on where persons are sending money, if they deem funds are sent to recipients that spread misinformation; but I can’t say that for sure.

It’s all very vague, but the verbiage said it’s at Paypal’s sole discretion.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,680
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The full story is kind of murky. From what I understand the legalese in their terms of service documents have always had a provision to potentially take funds from a person’s linked account if the account has been used to accept money from activities that violate the company’s terms of service.

Good luck with that. My account I use for PP never has any money in it unless I'm purchasing something or getting a refund. It is not linked to any account that does have money. If there's refund it's immediately withdrawn.

It's for all intents and purposes a dead account.

Those who use their daily banking accounts I just shake my head at.

The credit card I use for PayPal is the same way, it's not my daily card.
    If it gets hacked I'm not liable for any of it. It's basically just a loadable card. Once again not linked to any of my personal bank accounts.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,099
    Options
    They basically retracted the idea months ago. Very bad PR move on their part to put this in their terms of service and then get push-back and then issue a retraction.

This was in the news months ago.

I use Paypal a lot for merchant purchases and will continue to use Paypal. I consistently use the "over $99 purchase and 6 mos no interest". Why use my money if I can use someone else's? I ALWAYS pay it off before the 6 months.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    He he he. Makes me feel better about this:

zx3dkxjjmymj.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,566
    Options
    I'm OK if someone was buying/selling drugs and paypal
    Fined them. But the wording sounded way too vague to me.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    They basically retracted the idea months ago. Very bad PR move on their part to put this in their terms of service and then get push-back and then issue a retraction.

I use Paypal a lot for merchant purchases and will continue to use Paypal. I consistently use the "over $99 purchase and 6 mos no interest". Why use my money if I can use someone else's? I ALWAYS pay it off before the 6 months.

H9

No, this was last month when the retraction of the verbiage occurred, which apparently existed since 2013; however, Paypal restored the verbiage again, same month, after retracting it.

I just find it confusing due to the back-and-forth on Paypal’s part.

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    RT1 nailed it:

Q: What is replete with suckiocity?

A: Paypal
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,764
    Options
    They just exposed their surveillance and 4th amendment violations.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Maybe Elon Musk with hostile takeover Paypal. 😅

• heiney9
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

H9

No, this was last month when the retraction of the verbiage occurred, which apparently existed since 2013; however, Paypal restored the verbiage again, same month, after retracting it.

For me it doesn't matter. I don't spread false misleading lies on Social Media. It's a non-issue for me. I admit to not reading the user agreement updates.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jbreezy5
    Options

H9

For me it doesn't matter. I don't spread false misleading lies on Social Media. It's a non-issue for me. I admit to not reading the user agreement updates.

H9

Therein lies the rub; the arbiter of deciding whether you do that, or not, is Paypal, it seems.

• heiney9
    Options
    The thing is we are all free to use or not use something based on their rules. No rub, if you don't like the way a company is run or it's user agreements, then move onto something that fits better for you.

You stated it was in the user agreement as far back as 2013, if you read the user agreement then, would it not have stood out to you? Or is it because someone has made an example of it and now it seems wrong when in 2013 it was a non-issue (for you).

Sorry, to rag on it, but I am so tired of people complaining about things, when all you have to do is move on (or create) something else that fits your needs better.

I have zero issue with this clause as it doesn't affect me. If one goes around making false, slanderous, bald faced lies on Social Media then one might have something to worry about.

H9
  • heiney9
    Options
    Why anyone who is using the Paypal platform legitimately object to punishment for messages that are “fraudulent, promote misinformation or are unlawful” ?

I'm not sure what the beef is here?

H9
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,187
    Options
    Maybe Elon Musk with hostile takeover Paypal. 😅

That would be pretty amusing, given that he kinda got started with PayPal...
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/300523191/elon-musk-and-peter-thiels-start-the-rise-and-legend-of-paypal
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    The thing is we are all free to use or not use something based on their rules. No rub, if you don't like the way a company is run or it's user agreements, then move onto something that fits better for you.

You stated it was in the user agreement as far back as 2013, if you read the user agreement then, would it not have stood out to you? Or is it because someone has made an example of it and now it seems wrong when in 2013 it was a non-issue (for you).

Sorry, to rag on it, but I am so tired of people complaining about things, when all you have to do is move on (or create) something else that fits your needs better.

I have zero issue with this clause as it doesn't affect me. If one goes around making false, slanderous, bald faced lies on Social Media then one might have something to worry about.

H9
    Why anyone who is using the Paypal platform legitimately object to punishment for messages that are “fraudulent, promote misinformation or are unlawful” ?

H9

Whatever.

Was simply interested in other people’s thoughts on the subject. Apparently, I’m not the only one whom doesn’t have the time to read ridiculous amounts of user agreements to justify use of internet services.

More power to you if that’s a good use of your time.

“Sorry, to rag on it, but I am so tired of people complaining about things, when all you have to do is move on (or create) something else that fits your needs better.”

Talk about hypocrisy; complaining about others complaining, when you could just move on and ignore the conversation altogether.

• xschop
    Options
    The situation is no different than your bank fining you for ill advice or reprimanding a bad audio decision here at the pokey.

F1 would be bankrupted lol
  • F1nut
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    The situation is no different than your bank fining you for ill advice or reprimanding a bad audio decision here at the pokey.

F1 would be bankrupted lol

Well, it beats being a xscrackpot.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Another strike Nutty buddy. You're gonna have to start taking out loans to pay your fines.
  • F1nut
    Options
    You looking for a permanent vacation from here? I'll make it happen for ya.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Tell your "higher ups" to please remove everything I've ever posted here while you're at it.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,138
    Options
    hprgyaej268q.png

vw4utkhqa616.png

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,597
    Options
    The ordeal has spurred a call for people to delete their PayPal accounts with #PayPalCancelled and #DeleteVenmo gaining momentum on Twitter.
    Ohh, my favorite, another opportunity for bandwagoneererers to feel relevant.
    wseyp4d8q4sz.gif
    cdckxabwob3x.gif

I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,170
    Options
    Maybe they can convince them to lower their fees, I'm down with that!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,330
    Options
    Our local TV news explained that the PayPal rule is intended to allow them to take funds back from a fraudulent seller. If someone misrepresents what they are selling, they have the right to get the money back from them. The wording is confusing, but that's supposedly what they were saying.
  • heiney9
    edited November 2022
    Options

H9

H9

Whatever.

Was simply interested in other people’s thoughts on the subject. Apparently, I’m not the only one whom doesn’t have the time to read ridiculous amounts of user agreements to justify use of internet services.

More power to you if that’s a good use of your time.

“Sorry, to rag on it, but I am so tired of people complaining about things, when all you have to do is move on (or create) something else that fits your needs better.”

Talk about hypocrisy; complaining about others complaining, when you could just move on and ignore the conversation altogether.

Sorry, you asked, I answered. If you use a service and don't read the fine print (or rather can't be bothered) then you really can't complain. The clause is really to cover them in the case of fraud. Pretty standard.

Maybe it was worded a bit confusing, but in the end it's about fraudulent activities, they just went a bit farther and explained misinformation is also considered fraud. Like descriptions of items for sale that are totally inaccurate, deceiving and outright lies. That's how I'm reading it. Again, standard stuff. It just got blown up by the news and other peoples sometimes wild interpretations based on the news article.

H9