Update on my DIY Volumio Pi setups

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited October 2022 in Going Digital
So I've been using Volumio (now on v3.3) on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ paired with a HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro, the Pi Official 7" touchscreen, and stepdown converter connected to a custom IR sensor that works with either an Apple TV Remote or PDP Gaming Remote Control

I inquired here about a good linear powersupply to get and ultimately purchased a Welbourne linear powersupply from @SCompRacer quite a few months back to make sure I'm giving it the best power I can.

The original configuration was:

Welbourne -> barrel to Micro USB -> Micro USB splitter

From there the connections go:

-> Touchscreen
-> Pi 3B+ -> HiFiBerry Dac Plus -> 5V out -> Stepdown Converter (converts 5v in to 3.3 v out) -> IR sensor

The system did WORK with the Welbourne, however the low voltage warning stayed on 24/7. This indicated the setup needed more power than the Welbourne could give, and as a result of the lower voltage I could see lackluster performance and/or SD Card corruption (and the SD card has the OS on it). Disconnecting the stepdown convert/IR sensor would bring the power draw down to where the warning would go away, but I wanted to try and maintain the IR sensor.

So I spent most of today doing some digging and tried everything under the sun to try and reduce the power draw since a lot of the Pi's features are not being used. To try and reduce power I tried:
  • Disabling HDMI output (the official touchscreen uses the DSI connector so its not affected)
  • Reducing powerdraw for USB ports to 600ma (originally set to 1200ma or 1.2a)
  • Turning off the usb ports entirely (which also turns off ethernet since it uses the same USB controller), and running on just wireless
  • Turning off WiFi and Bluetooth and running on ethernet

A few things I didn't try because I anticipated they would negatively impact performance or my ability to troubleshoot:
  • Underclock the CPU (Volumio sets the PI to "Performance mode" over "On demand" so the CPU is running full tilt 24/7/365)
  • Turn off the Power LED's

That left me with 2 solutions:
  1. Disconnect the IR sensor
  2. Power the Touchscreen separate from the Pi, DAC, and IR sensor

I choose Option #2 for now since I had an extra powersupply from when I switched in the Karma Ifi powersupply (thanks again @Clipdat) to my console setup.

Powering the touchscreen independent solved all my problems and let me undo most of the changes noted above. I did go ahead and leave the HDMI output disabled since I don't need to run more than the attached display.

I figured I'd post this here in case this could be useful to someone else.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Most of the industrial displays I use suggest a dedicated power supply in their instruction manual. Sometimes, if I size and manage the power supply correctly, it works just fine. I'm glad you found a good solution that didn't limit your capabilities!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |