Dropped my L200

Options
Damaged the tweeter which I can get from Polk for $96.00. But I badly scratched the front face plate. Can that be replaced? I am not getting much luck with Polk or authorized centers

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    What faceplate?

The replacement tweeter from Polk will include a new faceplate
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • scottpscott
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. The small faceplate around the tweeter is fine. It is the large faceplate of the entire front of the speaker
  • scottpscott
    Options
    and this is what the tweeter looks like
    4xug3pqkv5jn.jpg
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    What has been damaged is called the front baffle and is integrated with the complete cabinet and is not easily replaced. I'm afraid the whole enclosure would have to be exchanged.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Change the tweeter and put the grills on, done.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited October 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

You'd make a good Yankee (not the New York kind, the real kind), @F1nut.
    Straight and simple advice.

:)
  • scottpscott
    Options
    seems simple but now I lost all re-sale value. My fault so replace the tweeter and live on a guess
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    A good body shop should be able to fix it with ease.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Lately it's been more than the usual No or Yes only responses & the OP wonders what he means. I always hit the LOL button cause it's hilarious
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Well -- I mean -- I have a tendency to over-answer questions. :#

Speaking of OPs: @scottpscott 1) I really don't think you've lost "all" their value (not to mention that the biggest value of the R200s lies, I'd say, in using them.) and 2) I reckon that a little DIY repair could get the gash looking much, much better. Not showroom new, but acceptable (even sans grille).

Just an opinion, of course -- and (admittedly), coming from a person who possesses some pretty ugly loudspeakers. :p
  • F1nut
    Options
    The body shop idea is worth pursuing, IMO. The fibers in the gash suggest the baffle may be fiberglass. If so, that is repairable. I'd suggest having both baffles spray painted so they match.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »

Lately it's been more than the usual No or Yes only responses & the OP wonders what he means. I always hit the LOL button cause it's hilarious

Yes...maybe...no...

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »

Yes...maybe...no...

I'm not so sure about that myself.
    B)
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Let me ask about a replacement cabinet, give me a couple of days.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    I gotta ask, what in the world did you drop it onto, a running table saw?
    Also - those tweeters are dangerous. What's the other guy look like?
    I disabled signatures.
  • scottpscott
    Options
    Thank you for all the fast replies. VERY much appreciated!!!!! To answer a few question. . .

The speakers were sitting only about 8 inches on a support. I was moving boxes and when I turned I hit the speaker. It fell forward on the table and I caught it before it fell any farther. I was shocked by the damage. My heart just sank,

The damage extends above the grill when they are on so I would always see it and you can see how deep it is, Very noticeable.

I mentioned I lost the "re-sale" value. They of course have value to me. I love them

They are the Legend L200s.

I have a friend with a body shop, repair that include paint would get expensive. But thank you everyone for that suggestion, I was not thinking that at all. May work and worth asking.

Thank you @SeleniumFalcon for checking about a new cabinet.

I searched ebay etc to see if someone had a damaged speaker and was selling a single. Just a prayer.

These were in my office and I am retiring in one month. I was excited to bring them home with my PS Audio M700s and DirectStream DAC

The authorized repair centers form the Polk website couldn't help me. I sent the pictures to several speaker/electronic repair centers near me and no one had an option.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I do apologize for thinking (and I don't know why!?!) they were R200.
    @F1nut's fiberglass hypothesis is interesting. Seems like an unusual baffle material if that's indeed what it is(?).
  • scottpscott
    Options
    @mhardy6647 no apologies needed. I just wanted to clarify for everyone to better help any options/suggestions this group could give
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    The repair is not a very large area and could possibly be done while working another job where a matte black finish is being applied. I would not think it would cost more than 150 bucks to do both so them match.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    The speakers were sitting only about 8 inches on a support. I was moving boxes and when I turned I hit the speaker. It fell forward on the table and I caught it before it fell any farther. I was shocked by the damage. My heart just sank,

The damage extends above the grill when they are on so I would always see it and you can see how deep it is, Very noticeable.

I mentioned I lost the "re-sale" value. They of course have value to me. I love them

They are the Legend L200s.

I have a friend with a body shop, repair that include paint would get expensive. But thank you everyone for that suggestion, I was not thinking that at all. May work and worth asking.
    thaaat sucks, dude. I know the feeling of "no undo". hopefully you can get it sorted easily. yes, good recommendations above on the body shop. cool that you have a contact there.
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,703
    Options
    Hopefully the magnets didn't shift.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Wouldn't matter, Tom's speaker was destroyed.

President of Club Polk

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I believe Polk offered to replace your tweeter at no charge however the replacement cabinet (part number: RD8605-1) would not be covered. They have two available through the CS phone number and if you mention you have joined the forum you will get a reduced price. They also suggest a cabinet repair person might be able to repair the scratch.
    Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • scottpscott
    scottpscott Posts: 23
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @SeleniumFalcon Polk did NOT offer to replace the tweeter and no cost. They said it was not a warranty item so not covered. The CS Rep said I could buy one for $96.00. They had no other options for me. They never mention a replacement cabinet was even an option. (Your incident number is 220929-000747)

I then sent an email to Polk Cust Serv about getting a tweeter and this is what I got back today at 3:24 (Incident: 221009-000070) . . .

Response By Email (Customer Support) (10/10/2022 12:24 PM)
    Hello Scott,

The part you are referring to is available for purchase from our customer support team. The information for the part is listed below:

Part number: RD8982-1

Price (before tax and shipping): $96.00
    Post edited by scottpscott on
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Two very conflicting versions. We need to get the truth...

• scottpscott
    scottpscott Posts: 23
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @SeleniumFalcon your time and helpfulness is VERY much appreciated. Thank You!! :)
  • scottpscott
    Options
    and now I just received this from Polk.

Response By Email (Customer Care Team) (10/10/2022 03:28 PM) Incident: 221009-000070
    Hello Scott,

Thank you for contacting Polk Audio, we value you as a Polk customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

My apologies for the delayed response. Thankyou for reaching out to us on this matter. I would like to inform you that you can purchase a replacement tweeter for your L200 and also the grille/faceplate of it. To purchase these parts, please call our Polk Hotline at 1-800-377-765.

Below are the details for the part number:

For the Tweeter:
    Part number: RD8682-1
    Price: $106.25

For the Grille:
    Part number: RF8907-1
    Price: $32.00
  • F1nut
    Options
    No good deed goes unpunished.

President of Club Polk