New SDA-1C's sounding dark...Polk house sound?

Options
2»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Oh you definitely misunderstood my post.
    Klipsch is like taking an ice pick and shoving it in my ears. I have never and will never own a pair, not even for free!

My Polk 2.3tl's will be carried out when they carry out my casket with me in it.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    Glad you got to a happy place with your system. Yeah, when you mentioned that even with 703s the vocals sounded recessed with the highs muted and dark, I had to wonder about your hearing. Those are not characteristics I've experienced with any Polk speakers in the frequency ranges you describe. The only thing maybe close to that would have been that I have found the LSi series to require some volume to open up with certain gear, otherwise could sound a little thick and flat, though not the case with other gear, like Musical Fidelity integrateds, for example.
    jmitchnh wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that Pitdogg2. I believe I do prefer a forward, brighter sonding speaker. May be due to the fact my high frequency hearing has started to wane with age or maybe just what sounds good to my ear.
    I own many pairs of klipsch speakers as a matter of fact (Forte, KG4, RF7, RF5, RP600M) and they are all on the sidelines. I find I just cant get into the sound of those horns. I, like you, thought Klipsch would be my panacea but not to be. I do tend to like brighter speakers (Focal, Infinity RS/Kappa, JBL) but right now I'm tranfixed with my SDA's. Their frequency response, soundstage and dynamics are just what I'm looking for in a loudspeaker.
    I'm thinking I'll be upgrading to the RD0 194's next to get that next level of detail out of them and the x-overs. I don't mean to be negative towards Polk, I'm just happy I've found a pair I can really, truly enjoy !

I disabled signatures.