Alon 1 & Alon II speakers

halo71
halo71 Posts: 4,567
I ran across a deal on a pair of Alon II's a few weeks back. Get there to pick them up and the seller says, you want the Alon 1's as well? Well.....yeah! lol

Made sure all drivers were working. And recently ordered new foam kits.

Anyone have experience with Alon speakers? These days the company is known as Nola Acoustics I believe.
--Gary--
Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Pictures or didn't happen!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Those speakers look great. B)

Have fun re-foaming them and bringing them back to health. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Yeah, they are generally great speakers, to some extent the logical progression of Dahlquist speakers, of which I have several and am a great fan
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Just looked them up. Really neat design. Gotta ask what the rear midrange baskets are for?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • halo71
    xschop wrote: »
    Just looked them up. Really neat design. Gotta ask what the rear midrange baskets are for?

Good question! I have no idea. Guess to keep curious kids finger out? Only thing I can think of.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Those look awesome, I bet they sound killer.

Congrats!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    X-over rebuild in the works? and will you reform the woofers yourself?

• halo71
    xschop wrote: »
    X-over rebuild in the works? and will you reform the woofers yourself?

Just refoaming them myself for the time being.
    --Gary--
  • Tony M
    Man...also an 18" Velodyne sub to fill everything below 40hz to your heart's desire no matter the room size.

I can't wait to hear your reviews of those speakers and sub. :p

Did you have to pay a lot for all those FANTASTIC speakers and Sub? By alot, I'm guessing over 1500.00 to 2K seems likely to me.
  • Tony M
    NICE! <3

"Deal of the Year" candidate. ;)

That is a great hand-off from his dad to you now. I'm glad they all aren't in the landfill and will be enjoyed by another audiophile being you. B)

I would've bought them too, no doubt about it. :p I still want to hear your opinion on those gems after re-foaming them.

I used to go yard-sale-ing a lot and ran up on a few hand-down speakers and electronics OR people just downsizing. I also think kids took stereo stuff they inherited to Pawn shops years ago. I found a lot of GREAT stereo stuff at pawn shops for pennies on the dollar. :)

I made some room out in my cottage the other day. So much space I was thinking just this morning I should get back to visiting Goodwill and Pawn shops and yardsales too if they aren't too far away. Goodwills and pawn shops are just a couple to a few miles away. ;) Maybe not... :#:D

• xschop
    A mere donation for his time lol.
    Props.
  • halo71
    edited September 2022
    There are still the occasional good deal on Craigslist. Even these days!

New foam kits came in yesterday from Midwest Speakers. Guess what I will be doing this Friday? lol
    --Gary--
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Seeing this thread brings back memories of Sept 11*, 2001. I had a well-to-do client who had a nice home on the bay that they mostly used as a summer home. Anyway, the owner had an odd-looking (well, I thought so anyway) pair of Alon speakers in his living room and he always told me I could listen to the stereo rig whenever I was there. It was a great way to pass the time and no one was home anyway and I have to admit they sounded very good. I think you got a super deal there, @halo71 !

* I was actually at their house that morning, though I didn't listen to the rig that day; I just spent several long hours glued to the TV watching the world change.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Sweet jesus what a great deal Gary! Tip my hat to ya pal!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Wow, those look really nice. Definitely spend some $$$ to make those sing again.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Now you should buy my Kappa 8's and upgrade from the RSIIIa's. :)
  • halo71
    No, I'm not buying anymore speakers till I sell some first! lol

Or so I tell myself anyways...
    --Gary--
  • Tony M
    halo71 wrote: »
    No, I'm not buying anymore speakers till I sell some first! lol

Or so I tell myself anyways...

I know that feeling. ;)
  • Wolf123
    Wolf123 Posts: 5
    halo71 wrote: »
    o7rj9h7q1a17.png

These are not Alon II's. They may be Alon V's
    An internet search will reveal what Alon II's and V's look like. I've owned a pair of Alon II's for many years.

2604841-4b89aee8-acarian-alon-ii-speakers.jpg
  • halo71
    They say Alon II on the back.
    --Gary--
  • Wolf123
    Looking more closely at the posted image: the two speakers in the center of the image appear to not be the same:
    • the woofer cabinets are not the same size - width nor height
    • the woofers are not the same size
    • the woofers are otherwise different
    • the overall structure heights are significantly different
    • the middle speakers are different
    • the structures housing the top two speakers are significantly different shapes - height and width
    • the positioning of the top two speakers in each enclosure is different
    • the size of the tweeters is different

These are not Alon II's. They appear to not even be a pair.
    Bit like those puzzles: spot the differences. (There may be more differences that I have missed in a few minutes)
  • halo71
    It is 2 different pair of speakers in that pic. lol
    --Gary--
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Reading. Handy sometimes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo71
    Yes reading comprehension seems lost on this one. Title clearly refers to 2 pair of speakers.
    --Gary--
  • Wolf123
    edited January 16
    What seems to be lost in this thread is that there is _no_ proof that these are Alon I's or Alon II's despite the fact that there are multiple images of both models elsewhere on the internet that look nothing like those in the image. The image does not show the base of the speakers. Alon I and Alon II do not have plinths.

'They say Alon II on the back.' does not cut it. There are two different speakers in the image - not two different pairs of speakers. Neither is an Alon I nor an Alon II. They both look like Alon V MkIII but since they are different that's unlikely. Maybe one is an Alon Circe and one an Alon V MkIII?

Please post a link to any other already-existing image of an Alon I or Alon II on the internet that looks anything like these, with sleeves or 'socks', if you can.

If not too difficult (or causes other difficulties to the claims in the original and subsequent post ) show that these are 'apparently' what they are claimed to be - confirmed clear images of the backs of _these_ two speakers (and their other halves) showing what is on their backs, including binding posts and model numbers.

Comprehension?

And, since you missed it, the original image was not captioned to explain what speakers it was claiming to be showing.

'Title clearly refers to 2 pair of speakers' - sure, but the image is not captioned, nor is it of any early Alon speakers so does not relate to the title. It could have been a totally random image of the OP's other Alons, if any.

Please do some research, especially those who don't own an Alon. The internet is full of misinformation and mistakes.

I posted one of a number of images on the internet of an Alon II pair that are exactly the same as mine. Did you miss the fact that it looks absolutely nothing like either of the two subject speakers in the image? Clearly.

Comprehension?

Irony? Posting an image that purports to be of the subject matter and is not, does not lead to irony. Just results in weak reasoning from others. Or reading comprehension problems in others who believe unequivocally what they read first and dismiss questioners.

Accepting an unverified assertion as to the model when there is no evidence that they are what the OP says they are lacks credulity.

Yes, I joined to correct what is to me, an Alon II owner, a clear mistake that wasted my time reading. No-one has yet proven me wrong. And no-one appears to have done any research into the OP's or my claims. Can anyone rely on your opinions past or future?