Digital Coax

Options
2»

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,455
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Side note since the SBT was mentioned - in case you didn't know, there's a plugin for USB out to a DAC. It was either @rooftop59 or @jdjohn who turned me on to that. Nice improvement with multibit DACs.
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Are you sure? Been awhile since I thought about the SQB T, but that's a pretty old product to support digital out over USB. Maybe I have forgotten that feature. I would have experimented with it had I been aware.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Pretty sure the USB on the SQB T was for use with a flash drive, input only.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    I do recall in 2010 there was a mod via firmware that the USB could be changed to a digital output. It didn't seem to gain much traction.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Google "Triode" at the Slim Devices forum as he was the one that created the enhanced digital output app for the SBT.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I'm aware of the 'Enhanced Digital Output' plugin, but I thought it was only for the RCA/SPDIF output. I didn't know about the USB being converted to an output, but that's cool if it's true.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2022
    Options
    The Enhanced app allowed you......

1. The ability to connect asynchronous USB DACs (WITHOUT hearing clicks & pops)
    2. 176.4KHz and 192KHz playback via S/PDIF and USB

https://darko.audio/2012/05/enhanced-digital-output-applet-for-squeezebox-touch/

Speaking of the Touch brought back some memories of snagging I2S out and sending it to DAC via Twisted Pear Teleporter. The Teleporter meant no worries using a one meter or longer cable.

yukhsk86uik0.png
    dgyar3p6s7rq.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    The Enhanced app allowed you......

1. The ability to connect asynchronous USB DACs (WITHOUT hearing clicks & pops)
    2. 176.4KHz and 192KHz playback via S/PDIF and USB

https://darko.audio/2012/05/enhanced-digital-output-applet-for-squeezebox-touch/

Speaking of the Touch brought back some memories of snagging I2S out and sending it to DAC via Twisted Pear Teleporter. The Teleporter meant no worries using a one meter or longer cable.

yukhsk86uik0.png
    dgyar3p6s7rq.png

Yep, that’s the first thing you should do with a SBT. Second, plug in Ethernet and turn off wireless. Third, plug in a linear external power supply with a good cable. Forth, use a good external DAC. Fifth, stream lossless music over roon.

Once those 5 things are done (many do which are very cheap or I would do anyway with a much higher end steamer), it’s VERY hard to tell the difference between a SBT and some more expensive steamers.

I got a SBT with a bolder PS for $125 shipped and I will use it till it dies or I do…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • heiney9
    Options
    Rich, I remember all your work enhancing and improving the digital out on your SQB T. It was beyond my capabilities.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Rich, I remember all your work enhancing and improving the digital out on your SQB T. It was beyond my capabilities.

Sure, beyond mine as well. Downloading and installed the enhanced audio applet? My children could do that…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,455
    edited September 2022
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Are you sure? Been awhile since I thought about the SQB T, but that's a pretty old product to support digital out over USB. Maybe I have forgotten that feature. I would have experimented with it had I been aware.
    so, yeap, Rich posted up a good link I was also going to share about it but didn't get a chance to post back yesterday. Like Rich and Paul said, it's pretty easy to enable.

Thaaat's right, I remember now, Paul - it came installed on one of the SBTs I bought from you. I knew it was either you or Jody because you guys are the only other guys I know who use(d) these. And Dan.

but yes, the SBT and Enhanced Digital Output does work nicely with a USB DAC, even if you're not using hi-res media. I was using one with a Schiit Modi Multibit for a while with Audioengine HD3s and a sub, and it was a beautiful combination with .flac CD rips and Spotify/Spotty. rich sound, and fantastic imaging. I've since changed that front end to a piCorePlayer with a HiFiBerry DAC hat. another great match. The Squeezebox community is still very much alive, despite the age of the device and that Logitech discontinued them years ago.

Pictured below, I think, was the regular Modi (still good) before I got the Multibit.

I use the Magni 3 headphone amp as a preamp/volume control along with the Audioengine HD3s because I wanted a setup that would allow me to switch between desktop speakers and headphones quickly. I no longer use wired headphones here, but the Magni stayed.

The current setup is piCorePlayer > Loki EQ (rarely used) > Magni 3 > HD3 inputs, then HD3 outs to ML Grotto sub. The front end connections are Amphenol Mogami ICs (rec'd by @Clipdat) and the sub cable is Mediabridge sub cable to Audioquest RCA splitter. The setup with the SBT used cheap RCAs and a decent Amazon USB cable. I really couldn't - in previous states and current - get over the quality of this little system. One of my favorites.

The Audioengine D1-based DAC built into the HD3s isn't as good as the HiFiBerry DAC, nor the Schiit Modi or Modi Multibit. It's noticeably thick and lacking the detail of the other three DACs. The HD3s as speakers, however, are amazing to my ears. Side note, I tried HD6s as well two other times - not impressed. They went back. Sounded thin and edgy. Somehow the HD3s, though much smaller, are ridiculously better.

vcst4iiondqd.png
    *LED diminishment by LightDims
    Spacing improvement, 3M Bumpons, SJ5303; 0.2"h
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    My SB Touch was de-modded and ended up with a friend who was setting up his first two channel a couple to three years ago. I set up an old PC music server for him using Daphile. I had also modded a Denon 3910 to export I2S and DSD, but it sits unused now.

I still get by with a discontinued, fanless Signature Sonore 6TB music server running roon. It sports an Intel Mini ATX motherboard, SOtM USB card, high quality external power supplies for motherboard and SOtM USB card. Processor is i5 2.7GHz, 8GB DDR3 so it exceeds roon minimum requirements. I had added a 256gb SSD card for op system. USB out to DIY DAC.

I got frustrated upgrading vortexbox 2.4 to 2.5 beta. I have no beef with Andrew of Small Green Computer. I can't expect the guy to write free software all his life. So, I tried roon Rock (Roon Optimized Core Kit - Linux based operating system) and it worked. They write it for Intel NUC's and my motherboards Intel. I may be one upgrade away from shopping for a new server though as my hardware is not officially supported.

A discontinued, still considered state of the art Sonore Audiobyte USB to I2S module provides isolation and reclocking to my DAC board. I run in synch mode, using clock on USB card. The Audiobyte and my DAC will do native DSD and DoP (DSD over PCM).

uv2ixjxeevw6.jpg

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Rich… check out Volumio. I’ve been running it as my interface on a PI paired w a touchscreen.

Might be your cup of tea, especially since the OS is free :smile:

App is fairly easy to use too.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Rich… check out Volumio. I’ve been running it as my interface on a PI paired w a touchscreen.

Might be your cup of tea, especially since the OS is free :smile:

App is fairly easy to use too.

You make me sound cheap... :D I looked at volumino but passed on it. I have roon lifetime, rather stick with their ROCK software for the server. Works great, even after updates. I'd pay for it if I had to.

I even passed on a great deal of $385 closeout for Volumino Primo with lifetime license. I might regret that...