Digital Coax

Need some recommendations. As usual I always look for the gear that punches above its price point. Back in the streaming game w/Bluesound Node (gen 3) and am using an external dac, like usual. I've had the same solid Blue Jeans 75 ohm digital cable forever. Might be time for an upgrade/something different.

I have been trying to buy a used MIT digital cable for over 6 months. The few I have seen for sale/auction are just to expensive for a 10 year old cable, IMO. New MIT digital cables are more than I'm willing spend.

Budget is a couple hundo.......maybe more

Discuss experiences..

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited September 2022
    I've had good experiences with both Pangea and Douglas Connection digital coax cables. Both of which I preferred over the MIT I also had.

Make sure to get at least 1.5m length.
    Post edited by Clipdat on
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have an MIT digital RCA interconnect and a PS Audio glass fiber toslink cable. I've never been able to tell the difference between either of those over a standard BJC 75 ohm RCA cable. Same thing with HDMI cables for me. A long time ago I was on the lookout for a used Kimber D60 digital cable back when they were $200 but it looks like they're up to $600+ these days. They also started getting counterfeited regularly so I dropped that idea after not hearing a difference from the BJC cable.

Much different in the analog realm for me. Those same BJC RCA cables are good as analog interconnects for home theater level stuff, but don't cut it for me for higher end two channel.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Are you interested in used @heiney9? I would let this go for what I paid for it:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/193207/wireworld-digital-rca-coaxial
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Paul, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of the band-aid smell is left, do you think? This adds to the listening experience for me. Unlike some people, I like the smell of WW cables. And by some people, I mean @Clipdat
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    msg wrote: »
    Paul, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of the band-aid smell is left, do you think? This adds to the listening experience for me. Unlike some people, I like the smell of WW cables. And by some people, I mean @Clipdat

Well I just ate lunch and I’m farting a lot, so it’s hard to tell. But it seems to me that the cable is sans band-aid smell. Sorry Scott…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Clipdat
    msg wrote: »
    I like the smell of WW cables.

Seek professional help, before it's too late.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited September 2022
    With your unit (Ain't gonna use that word 'cause I know the guyzes 'round here) BSNode2i, I wouldn't put too much faith into a digital cable making a profound difference. I have tried two Transparent cables at different lengths and found no discernible differences.

With that said, they were the same type (under 2 Benjie's). I just don't think that the BS Node2i is capable of extracting the differences (even with a DAC) that other units can/have the ability to do. Don't get me wrong here....

It's not a bad streamer but IME, I have heard other units that one could easily tell a major difference between hookup options, lengths and cable manufacturers. Of course, YMMV.

Just like you, I am still a complete newbie when it comes to streaming (mostly because of constant connectivity issues).

If you would like to try one of my Transparent's without spending a dime to try it out? Just PM me your address and I'll ship it to you free of charge. If you like it? We can work out a deal. If not, just ship it back....no worries. Just LMK what length you require. (I believe I am currently using the longer one of the two)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Is a USB connection an option? I made that switch awhile ago, and have enjoyed it.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    9se8yqz31n12.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    If I lived in my mother's basement, the smell of Wireworld cables would bother me too but these are nice cables.
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    treitz3 wrote: »
    With your unit (Ain't gonna use that word 'cause I know the guyzes 'round here) BSNode2i, I wouldn't put too much faith into a digital cable making a profound difference. I have tried two Transparent cables at different lengths and found no discernible differences.

With that said, they were the same type (under 2 Benjie's). I just don't think that the BS Node2i is capable of extracting the differences (even with a DAC) that other units can/have the ability to do. Don't get me wrong here....

It's not a bad streamer but IME, I have heard other units that one could easily tell a major difference between hookup options, lengths and cable manufacturers. Of course, YMMV.

Just like you, I am still a complete newbie when it comes to streaming (mostly because of constant connectivity issues).

If you would like to try one of my Transparent's without spending a dime to try it out? Just PM me your address and I'll ship it to you free of charge. If you like it? We can work out a deal. If not, just ship it back....no worries. Just LMK what length you require. (I believe I am currently using the longer one of the two)

Tom

Thanks for the offer, when the time comes where I have time to sit and compare cables I will PM you.

I have the newest version of the BS Node. I used a Squeezebox Touch for years w/a linear ps, digital coax out to a dac and thought it always sounded excellent. The linear ps really took it up a couple notches.....it was not subtle.

The BS Node has to be a big step up from the SQB Touch. I did order the PD-Creative linear ps module to replace the internal switching ps the BS Node uses. I'll use the same outboard ps as I did with the SQB. A well engineered Welbourne Labs unit. May explore an elevated unit down the line.

I am a huge believer a well designed power supply can make or break a piece of gear.

The problem I had in choosing a streamer was I just needed streaming and a digital out, not all the other inputs/outputs, balanced, dac section, etc the more expensive streamers seemed to offer. Just the streaming with the ability to use my dac. Then it was pointed out to me that the internal ps was switching so I will remedy that.

The hope is using a linear ps and external dac should take the audio capabilities up a few notches, as I know the BS Node by itself still doesn't reach the audio capabilities of the more expensive streamers with much better dac sections.

My EE Mini Max Plus dac with upgraded DEXA discrete op-amps is a stellar sounding unit, no way I was parting with that.

I am loving Qobuz. So far I'm just using the desk top version playing through the office rig. I haven't had time to really sit down and use the BS Node in the main system. The ethernet cable is run, I just have to dl the app and get it set-up. Probably this weekend.

Qobuz through the Keces E40 playing the R200's sounds fantastic. I was tempering my expectations as I've never been a fan of the quality of streaming services in the past. I am blown away at how good everything sounds. Detail, transparency, air, depth, sound stage, placement is all there in spades. I compared some more familiar material from my own FLAC rips to Qzbuz versions and couldn't tell a difference.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The BS Node has to be a big step up from the SQB Touch.

Eh, I don't know about that one....I have heard both and IMO/IME? 'Bout the same (with a separate DAC). Although, and with that said, there were many years and equipment differences between the two but my observations remain the same. Not really an apples to oranges kinda thing....more like an orange to an orange kinda thing, if you know what I mean.

Tom

• rooftop59
    So...no one wants to buy my cable and Scott just wants to smell it :'(:# ? This forum is weird...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • heiney9
    Thanks for the discussion/feedback.

I will also give the USB a good listen to see if coax or USB is the better choice for conversion.

H9
  • heiney9
    Ghentaudio that Raife linked to in a recent thread about dc cables looks to make a very nice double shielded Star Quad custom USB cable. Probably start with that one.
  • jdjohn
    I will also give the USB a good listen to see if coax or USB is the better choice for conversion.
    I think the reason Tom posted that pic of the rear of the Bluesound Node 3 was to show that the USB port is only for INPUT, not output. Sorry for the confusion.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • heiney9
    That could be.....I'll have to look at it closer.
  • Clipdat
    Correct. Digital out only over Coax.
  • heiney9
    Yes, I was confused the USB is for input for an external drive.

Nevermind....lol
  • jdjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Digital out only over Coax.
    ... or Toslink optical :)
  • heiney9
    Actually it looks to be designed to be either. USB 2.0 output available with future software update.
  • heiney9
    It appears BluOS 3.16.3 released 12-28-21 will support USB connected Dac's for the Gen 3 node.

So I'm good to go

H9
  • heiney9
    edited September 2022
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Correct. Digital out only over Coax.

Actually no, see above post. Toslink as well.
  • jdjohn
    edited September 2022
    It appears BluOS 3.16.3 released 12-28-21 will support USB connected Dac's for the Gen 3 node.

So I'm good to go

H9
    Sweet. Make sure the USB cable you choose goes from Type-A to Type-B. My apologies if you already knew this, but since it sounds like your first foray into using this kind of connection, I didn't want to assume :)
  • heiney9
    Not my first foray, but it never hurts to share the info. I've been using the USB out from my computer into an external dac for a long time.

The EE Minimax Plus dac I use has the Asynchronous M2Tech 24/192 input. So it'll be nice to compare to 75 ohm coax.
  • jdjohn
    Slightly off-topic, but I have an EE Minimax BBA that is gathering dust...can't decide what to do with it.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    This forum is weird...

Pretty sure you already knew that. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat

So I'm good to go

H9

Nice. Sorry I got it wrong!
  • heiney9
    I didn't know either until I read up a bit.