70 series monitor speakers lower woofers barely moving?

Options
What causes the lower 1/2 of my 70 series monitor speakers to be barely moving or audible unless at high volume? Is it lack of power from my Yamaha HTR 5835 receiver? Thank you. -Sonofarock

Answers

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Hello and welcome to Club Polk.

This is somewhat of a loaded question, whether or not you know it.

A normal speaker (regardless of cost) will move differently at lower octaves/frequencies than that of the upper (or higher frequencies). Your lower drivers (the bigger of all of them) will not *visibly* move unless you are on the volume during a heavy passage of musical information.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Sonofarock
    Options
    Thanks for the info.. your taking my use of "Move" too literally.. audibly, noticeabley and visually bottom 2 woofers just idling until I half volume... They are Blowtorches when lit.. just wanted to know if better amp was needed to get all out of the 70's at even lower volumes?. I appreciate your input. Thank you. - Sonofarock
  • treitz3
    Options
    Ah, gotcha.

The best advice I could offer is get a high current amp/receiver versus a highly rated "wattage" amp/receiver.

If you are not a home theater kind of guy, look into tube amps.

If you have any questions, just ask. The guys here will answer your questions, whether you like the answer or not. (Some answers cost $$$)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Sonofarock
    Options
    On another note. Adding a psw10 to run with the 70's (which alone have a nice bass driver) what would you setup the subwoofer at? 120 hz? Receiver sub settings? Any thoughts? Thank you. -Sonofarock
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Honestly, flee the psw10, it’s a terrible woofer.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Sonofarock
    Options
    Give it to me straight. How do you really feel about psw10 subwoofer?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Haha, you're gonna fit in well around here. Hope you stick around and hang out. And not just to let us spend your money.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Sonofarock wrote: »
    Give it to me straight. How do you really feel about psw10 subwoofer?

Having owned one before? If it enhances your system, keep it. Back when I had one, it helped out (even if only just a little bit). Would I have it in my current rig? Heck no. It's simply a mid bass driver with no "umph" whatsoever. Basically, it's a beginner sub or a sub for something like computer speakers.

If you really and truly want a real sub, give us your budget and we can direct you to your best bang for the buck. Just don't listen to Trey. He will suggest having 5 stacked subs in each corner of the room and another stack for the closet. He's just like that.....kinda weird but ya' gotta love 'em.

Tom
  • Sonofarock
    Options
    Now your talking Caballero! Pre-owned or new is your call . $300 out the door (shipping ouch) subwoofer.. if agreed the 70 series is ok for our Mains. You got $700 left in the budget.. power amp? Swap head unit (Yamaha 5835)? more speakers? Strobe lights I already have so we're good there . Drop the Knowledge on me. If you please -Sonofarock
  • Sonofarock
    Options
    Anyone here that used pull a paycheck from Texas Instruments? Managed a Radio Shack? -Sonofarock