Signa S2 Volume advances in 3's

I have a Hisense tv and the Signa S2 when I change the volume it advances in threes. For example if it's on 12 it goes to 15 then 18. It is connected with an ARC and optical cable. When I unhook the sound bar the volume advances normally. I saw several people having this issue on the internet but no solution.

Answers

• That's certainly unusual, what happens if you try either HDMI by itself or the digital optical cable by itself?
  • With just the digital optical cable connected, I get no sound. When the HDMI is connected, I can only control the sound with the soundbar remote, not the TV remote, I cannot see the volume number in this case, but it sounds as though it increases in the same increments. Both have to be connected to get sound and use the TV remote.
  • "When the HDMI is connected, I can only control the sound with the soundbar remote, not the TV remote.."
    As I understand it, as long as the TV and Signa S2 are connected with HDMI ARC and this has been activated in the TV's programming any remote that operates the TV will operate the soundbar.

"With just the digital optical cable connected, I get no sound."
    That is the first thing I would try and figure out. If the soundbar is set to the correct source there should be audio present at the soundbar. Make sure the TV's audio menu is set to Dolby Digital.

"when I change the volume it advances in threes."
    Where are you observing this change? On the TV's on screen display?
  • Yes, on the TV's display screen.
  • I believe the way things are supposed to work is that you turn the volume level of the TV to a fairly high setting. The TV's internal speakers are selected to be off. Then you increase and decrease the volume level of the soundbar to whatever level you prefer at your listening position. From that point on the on screen display shouldn't change its settings. Use the Polk remote to make any changes hopefully using an HDMI ARC cable or the digital optical cable.
    I have no idea why the TV's volume levels change by units of three instead of two, but it doesn't matter.
  • Thank you, but in my situation, it does matter. I will do more research as I've seen many people experiencing this issue online.
  • hugho
    hugho Posts: 2
    It matters very much! My Sony 4k TV senses the HDMI-ARC connection and connects the soundbar only. With my old soundbar the TV remote worked: volume level shown on screen & single digit level change up/down. With S2 HDMI-ARC connection TV volume change is 3 digits (level 0-12) then 4 digits per click. we need to see level 18 up to hear anything. Thus NO CONTROL for single digit up/down via TV remote.
    POLK Remote gives NO screen info & NO light on soundbar to adjust volume, and there seems to be a delay after any push. it gets VERY LOUD VERY QUICKLY. AWFUL!!!!
  • hugho
    hugho Posts: 2
    Let me explain:

Thoughts on the Polk Signa S2 TV Sound Bar

The features of the Signa S2 remote are captivating. It Offers not only volume control but Bass
    volume control too. Also there are buttons for Movie Mode, Music Mode, Night Effect, and even
    Voice Adjust Levels to Help when there is music and voice at the same time. The Voice Adjust
    feature is wonderful for all the Movies and Videos that now choose to augment voice with
    music.

If your present TV, or TV with Sound Bar, displays the volume level on the screen when you
    change the volume with the TV remote, you will feel lost with the Signa S2 remote. You will
    find that your TV remote single digit volume changes are gone once you turn the Signa S2 on.
    Your TV remote will now change volume in 3 or 4 digit “jumps” with the Signa S2 on. Your single
    digit volume changes will, however, return when the Signa S2 Sound Bar is turned off.

The Signa S2 has a wonderful multi function remote. However, there is NO on screen indication
    of pushing any button. There is a dim blue led on the sound bar that will flash when you press
    sound related keys, other keys can change the 3 light notification display. When the Signa S2 is
    connected to your TV Via an HDMI-ARC cable your TV Remote Volume control is changed so that
    each volume click results in a 3 or 4 digit change of volume, NOT the single digit change you are
    accustomed to. When you turn the Signa S2 sound bar off your HDMI-ARC connection will
    then revert to the TV internal speakers, and your TV Remote will revert to single digit volume changes.
    You, however, will probably be very confused, and may even think you have somehow solved the problem with your TV remote. At least until you then realize that the Signa S2 sound bar is off. As far as I
    know there is NO WAY to prevent this problem, and you are faced with only large volume changes via
    the Signa S2 remote. This is a problem for Apartment or Condo dwellers.

• I love the Signa 2 but also have the same volume issue (increasing 3 when using arc)Could a firmware update help?
  • Is there a remote for the signa 2 that pauses and skips songs when playing Bluetooth?