13»

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited July 2023
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    JayCee wrote: »
    Thanks, Rob. In. I have a pair of 5A's that will go in a basement project I'm working on.

You owe us a build thread🙂

I will....promise. First priorities are the new laundry area H20/waste connections. Washer was moved to basement on Friday and wife just said she's close to needing use of it. I'm sure you can understand :# Also, a new and separate he-man work area is part of the project. This'll be the future home of the 5A's. Unfortunately, it's just one of many summer projects in queue before I get to installing the rings.

In the meantime, as a place holder and appreciative attempt to comment on your work and much appreciated karma, I'll help the cause by saying I'm a frequent flier of Rob's semi-rings and I know what they bring to the table. Until I install them in my 5A's I'll offer this...for anyone interested in what Rob's semi-rings did for my 1.2tl's, click on the following link and read-up on my experience.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2640997/#Comment_2640997

I have no doubt my 5A's will see similar improvement.

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Was just egging you (again). Sounds like you'll be busy for sure. We did some light rempdeling, and still continues. With a wife involved, the projects always "evolve".
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    Options
    The sweet spot for desk rig looks to be a
    2 ohm non-inductive wire-wound resistor :)

p1hp5pb34rwa.jpg

• xschop
    Options
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    Time to crank Mr. Clean...

Finally came up in the loop...

syh9kw1zyuc8.png
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    The Hubbard original (written by Weldon Irvine) is a classic (with all that Hubbard & Creed Taylor era funk). Next, cue up the version on Roy Hargrove's "Earfood" (an @Gardenstater recording-quality favorite) which is different and excellent, especially pianist Gerald Clayton's performance.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    Options
    Yep, excellent. Cranking the XS-8TL's however...

5xsq7ha27map.png
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    The bass fiddle line at the beginning sounds mighty fine on the 43 year old RTA-12's.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    Options
    gvaej9bquzz5.jpg

9hz11uvixs37.jpg
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I have to question if any TSI series speakers are worth the effort. I don't give them a second thought when they pop up locally. Am I missing a gem in the rough?
    I have to question if any TSI series speakers are worth the effort. I don't give them a second thought when they pop up locally. Am I missing a gem in the rough?

CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    Options
    Toilet engineering. A waste of time for a marginal loudspeaker.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • xschop
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

Best nearfield monitors per price point I've ever laid ears on now.

Yes, Polk definitely had these intended for their budget line. Then again, their Legend line drivers are still STAMPED STEEL baskets and still not a fan. My only goal was to repair the un-repairable cones and improve the imaging and cabinet resonances. I have since removed the Power-Ports since I was running them with a Polk sub. IMO, these still need a 6-8" base/pedestal to bring the tweeters ear heigth on desk, even being turned-upside-down.