Cracked Rubber Surround on MW65xx Drivers

Options
decato
decato Posts: 185
edited July 2022 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all,
I was browsing through eBay for some vintage Polk products, and I stumbled across an MW6502 driver in rough shape. The rubber is cracked where it attaches to the cone but appears fine everywhere else.

xl1b7n9bqoqd.jpg

Seeing this prompted me to inspect my speakers more carefully. Unfortunately, I observed that several of my oldest speakers (1988-89) are starting to exhibit the same problem. The picture below shows the deterioration of the MW6502 in my Monitor 7C.

075jyddbe6ou.jpg

I'm not sure what's causing the rubber to crack. The rubber is still soft and pliable. No air leaks through the cracks. The speakers were not left in direct sunlight and they were kept indoors. Perhaps the cracking occurred shortly after production and remained somewhat stable. I am not the original owner of these speakers, so I cannot say for sure. I also picked up a pair of Monitor 10Bs but didn't notice they had cracked surrounds until I took them home.

Evidently, this problem exists on other drivers as well. There's a discussion on diyAudio about a Seas woofer that developed cracks in the surround shortly after it was manufactured. See the images below and the URL for the full discussion.

tv3npoxawbk9.jpg
76j9v4x20bd1.jpg
https://diyaudio.com/community/threads/proac-seas-woofer-surround-crack.116222/

I bought a product on Amazon for restoring cracked leather/faux leather/vinyl. I originally used it on a chair with decent results. The color was a little off, but it filled in the gaps and cracks nicely. I figured I'd have nothing to lose applying it to the Polk driver. Here is the product.
e4uflyvyjbyj.jpg

https://amazon.com/dp/B081KY1Q3P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I gently applied a small amount with the tip of a toothpick. Here's how it looks.
f0ie9o75lhdl.jpg

Do any of you have the same problem? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,106
    Options
    I can't recall ever seeing something like this. You say there was no air leaks?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,202
    Options
    Mine are all good. Ranging 1979 to 1990. On all of mine, the doping was extended up over the glue flange of the surround, right up to the convoluted section. Maybe that has helped to prevent the problem.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • decato
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Right, no air leaks, which is good. The easiest test is to put your eye right above the area in suspect and push in the passive radiator. Your eye is so sensitive to the tiniest puff of air.

So far I see some cracks on my 7C, 10B, and SDA-SRS 1.2tl. :/

• decato
    Options
    On all of mine, the doping was extended up over the glue flange of the surround, right up to the convoluted section. Maybe that has helped to prevent the problem.

That's an interesting observation. I don't see any cracks where the doping material extended onto the rubber.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,724
    edited July 2022
    Options
    ^^^Same observations here^^^
    Seen microcracks on 6502's, 6510's, 6503's and IIRC on a 6511
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • decato
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Seen microcracks on 6502's, 6510's, 6503's and IIRC on a 6511

That's unfortunate. Did you attempt to repair the drivers?
  • xschop
    Options
    At that time they weren't as bad as the first one in your pics, and didnt leak air either. Just annoying cosmetically. I have recently repaired a 6500's surround tear with butyl rubber caulk (believe was roofing repair tube I had left over)
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 527
    Options
    @westmassguy and I had an email conversation relating to this a while back. I was/am looking for an adhesive to safely re-glue the loose paper trim rings around my old 6500's. The big mystery is what the old Polk surrounds were made from...(I'll take no chances with something that will attack the surrounds). I've seen other websites that claim they are butyl rubber (does anyone know for sure?). The claims that these old surrounds are butyl makes sense because they last a long time without failure. I recall from my polymer chemistry classes decades ago that butyl is one of the more degradation resistant synthetic rubbers, but it can fail eventually from exposure to ozone and UV light. This thread started by @drumminman described how he used Rema SVS-VULC bike tube adhesive to repair a surround:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/163519/found-product-for-butyl-rubber-surround-repair

Bike tubes are also made from butyl rubber, so this also makes sense. That said, I have no long term proof of success, but perhaps someone can experiment. @xschop this sounds like a perfect experiment for you.

As far as speaker surrounds failing that were never exposed to sun, perhaps they were exposed to ozone from electrical device(s) etc. at some point.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    Options
    I suspect some of the surrounds that are really cracked bad are some type of latex based rubber that is more prone to UV degradation and ozonation as you say.

Years back on hard-to-find Yamaha carb boots that had gotten hard from heat cycling and cracking, I'd soak them in a solution of wintergreen oil. Brought them back to suppleness.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,630
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

I've seen it. I chalked it up to sun exposure or some sort of UV.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    The vintage Polk surrounds are butyl rubber.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• decato
    Options
    Assuming it is UV or ozone damage, it seems somewhat mysterious as to why the rubber cracked only where the surround is glued to the cone. It's also strange that the passive radiator is still in perfect condition. On the Monitor 7C, the passive radiator is in such close proximity to the driver that one would expect both to fail simultaneously in the presence of UV/ozone.

I went through my archives and found an ad from the October 1989 issue of Audio magazine. Polk claims to have used butyl rubber. Here's a scan of that page of the ad.
    y5iz9fcx4y95.png

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Maybe they used an adhesive to attach the surround to the cone that, combined with the UV and ozone, did the dirty work at that spot. When they applied the doping material to cover that area that could've given it the needed additional protection. It would mean they must've used a different adhesive at the surround to steel basket joint, which I admit is a little weird.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    Thanks @F1nut and @decato for confirming the old surrounds are butyl. Because these surrounds are so thin and fragile, I'd try this out on a cracked "last resort" driver first ... but, based on this info, another last ditch repair would be to carefully, sparingly, apply vulcanizing cement designed for butyl bike tubes (like SVS-Vulk). All the chemistry should "get along" and result in a "best possible", flexible bond. One could Q-tip the area first with a little acetone (will not react with butyl) to clean and degrease first.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • decato
    Options
    Thanks, @Jazzhead. I can try the vulcanizing cement on one of the other drivers and see how it compares to the leather/vinyl repair product I used.
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    So, does anyone make butyl rubber surrounds for Polk midwoofers?

As time goes on, yes, they can fail. It's a stressed part that moves.

There are thousands of these drivers out there in the 6.5" size.
    An opportunity to make some money for some vendor.

Another question: What about a small hole in the surround? Fixable?
    I have a pair of 7A speakers that need work.
  • xschop
    Options
    A couple years ago I found an eBay seller that had posted dimensions matching the 6502s, 6510s, and 6511s I had at the time.

The MAIN problem I had was trying to find an aqueous solution that would help soften/dissolve the cone-to-surround glue without damaging the paper cone.
  • odcics2
    Options
    I use a single edge razor blade to remove old glue/foam from 'paper' woofers. Has to be new for best results.
  • odcics2
    Options
    Bought some teflon coated blades years ago. I’ve had good luck using them.
  • decato
    edited July 2022
    Options
    After speaking with various engineers, I'm starting to think that this form of degradation is the result of repeatedly pushing the driver hard. These tears might actually be stress fractures caused from high excursion.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I feel like mine got cheated considering how loud I used to blast Pink Floyd DSOTM in college. All I got out of it was a cracked spider lol.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • odcics2
    Options
    Like anything mechanical, rubber wears out.
    At least butyl lasts longer than typical foam surrounds!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Once upon a time I had a cat that tried climbing my SDA 2B's back in the 90's. and made a small tear in them maybe a quarter inch. (don't worry the cat got beat within an inch of it's life and never attempted that again) I took black polyurethane and a very fine art brush to reseal the tear and as far as I know those speakers are still playing here somewhere in Polk Audio Land. I also know that people who use ozone generators for room air purifiers are at risk of destroying anything rubber in their homes. I used to own a fire damage restoration company and have seen the carnage first hand. It's great for removing smoke smell but ozone will turn rubber into goo which eventually dries out and becomes brittle.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • odcics2
    Options
    I have an early 7A with a small hole in the midwoofer surround.
    Grills are toast too!
    I’ll try your fix. B)
  • odcics2
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,630
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Believe it or not folks in the past tried an inner tube repair kit. Cut a small patch apply the glue to both let dry and then apply the patch to the hole and press in to the best of your abilities.
    The patch went on the inside (backside) of the surround

I'm not guaranteeing anything it may or may not work. At this point what do you have to lose?
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I'm thinking maybe you could use the vulcanizing rubber cement from a speaker repair site designed for surrounds, but since you have such a large opening you could try cutting a small square of tissue paper and impregnate it with the cement by putty knife and then stick it on from behind as stated.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VR3
    Options
    That surround has smaller rips elsewhere as well
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    There are eBay vendors selling butyl surrounds. You could buy the smallest, cheapest surround to cut a patch from, and then use the SVS-vulc cement to adhere it for an inexpensive hole repair. As stated above, ozone can definitely wreck rubber. In my last job we had dozens of drysuits for running whitewater and the air in the building (they were stored near some HVAC air handlers) would trash the neck and wrist gaskets in no time. The gaskets are a huge pain to replace (probably like gluing surrounds), so I started soaking gaskets in 303 (great stuff) strong them in bags, inside large sealed containers.
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
  • VR3
    edited July 2022
    Options
    One thing about the old Polk surrounds is that they are extremely thin compared to more modern day rubber surrounds. The surround can completely change a driver so if you install one that is much heavier than the original that can make quite the difference.