MW6503 Driver Question

Options
What is it about Polk drivers that, on so many of them, can be seen a greyish stain on, or around, the dust cap ? Do these drivers potentially degrade or die some decades later, similar to what happens to the ferrofluid tweeters that have been around the last 50 years or so ? ?
I'm wondering about this, as I'm hoping NOT to have a problem with my cherished Polk Monitor 10's. Please note that they currently show no signs of being impaired in any way, electrical, mechanical, or sonic, thank the G. L., and I'm currently enjoying relatively new crossover upgrades and RD0198-1 tweeters.

I have 50 year old 1" mylar dome tweeters without ferrofluid in some old acoustic suspension 3-way floorstanders (my "other" system) that still beat the pants off most tweeters around today. Ferrofluid seems to exist for the ignorant masses that don't exercise care with speakers, or that buy a poor quality or underpowered amplifier, and then blindly crank it up. I say this because it seems to me if they're just gonna die anyway after they become irreplaceable.. then it makes no sense to call that quality. I'd rather have the caution label. I can understand ferrofluid for cheap throwaway stuff. Maybe the higher quality tweeters should be designed in a way that their voice coils can be replaced?

I hope these thoughts provoke an interesting and informative thread.

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,630
    Options
    The dust cap residue is basically glue residue or evaporated minerals from say humidity. It can be removed with a wet rag and a gentle touch.
  • Gary2913
    Gary2913 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks pitdogg2. That answer doesn't appear to invoke thoughts of impending doom, (evil laugh).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    Original Windex on a Q-tip works well.

Ferrofluid is used to increase power handling and improve the sound quality. Most tweeters using ferrofluid can be serviced, so they can continue to produce beautiful music.

Your thought that ferrofluid exists "for the ignorant masses that don't exercise care with speakers, or that buy a poor quality or underpowered amplifier, and then blindly crank it up" is ignorant of the facts.

FYI, every tweeter using ferrofluid can be destroyed if pushed and it doesn't take much to do so.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,725
    Options
    "Maybe the higher quality tweeters should be designed in a way that their voice coils can be replaced?"

There's always the Wuhans🐼
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Ferrofluid has also used by some manufacturers to dampen unwanted resonances.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Gary2913
    Options
    F1nut, the 50 year old tweeters without the ferrofluid didn't degrade in sonic quality over time, unlike the SL2500's (which did in less than 30 years), and they sound cleaner and smoother than many a ferrofluid tweeter, so I'm not embracing the enhanced sound quality of ferrofluid tweeters argument. Also, I was advised by everyone on the planet that it was better to use RD0198-1's and forget about trying to refresh the SL2500's.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Gary2913 wrote: »
    F1nut, the 50 year old tweeters without the ferrofluid didn't degrade in sonic quality over time, unlike the SL2500's (which did in less than 30 years), and they sound cleaner and smoother than many a ferrofluid tweeter, so I'm not embracing the enhanced sound quality of ferrofluid tweeters argument. Also, I was advised by everyone on the planet that it was better to use RD0198-1's and forget about trying to refresh the SL2500's.

Dude, you're lost.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    Your question was originally about the 6503 driver (in the thread title). I don’t see the comparison between the ferrofluid tweeters and the 6503 driver. The question about cleaning the 6503 driver has been answered, in how to clean them. If you haven’t JB Welded them, you should; doing so will prolong their life.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Gary2913
    Options
    I can only make a judgement call about ferrofluid tweeters based on my experience. Increased power handling is a given, but as I said, a good sounding, long lasting tweeter can be designed and manufactured without ferrofluid. Probably cheaper and easier to go the ferrofluid route is my assumption, because of the ferrofluid power handling benefit.
    Oh, and I may have not kept a thread one dimensional, but certainly not lost..
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,202
    Options
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    Options
    This is why you are lost.
    "for the ignorant masses that don't exercise care with speakers, or that buy a poor quality or underpowered amplifier, and then blindly crank it up"

That is not why ferrofluid is used.
    Also, I was advised by everyone on the planet that it was better to use RD0198-1's and forget about trying to refresh the SL2500's.

Of course you were advised to replace the SL2500 with the RD0198. It's a far better tweeter than the SL2500 every was, but it's got nothing to do with ferrofuid.

Who on God's green earth suggested that you should try to refresh the SL2500?

President of Club Polk