Jolida JD502A can I bypass the preamp?

Options
So, I recently purchased a beautiful pair of Snell Acoustics C/V speakers from my local audio dealer who took them in on trade. Currently, I have these hooked up to one of my Jolida JD502A amplifiers and they sound very nice. The speakers can be bi-amped and I have two JD502A amplifiers and I know that I can run both amplifiers off of the same source and bi-amp vertically or horizontally. If I like the was this combination sounds I don't want to have to continuously set the volume and source selector on both amplifiers. The idea of bypassing the preamp section of both amplifiers and running them strictly as power amplifiers with the Jolida JD5T or another similar preamp to control them both would be my preference. One potentiometer to control them all! If anyone has experience with doing this, please let me know how it worked out for you. Did you modify the amplifiers your self?
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Answers

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    You are way over complicating this
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    You are way over complicating this

Please explain? I'm open to suggestions.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • VR3
    Options
    One high quality amp and done
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • newbie308
    Options
    One high quality amp and done

Yes , but that option is something I will need to save up $ for. In a few months, yes. Right now I am trying to work with what I have on hand.

Thank you for your insight! It is appreciated.
  • VR3
    Options
    Just run one amp for now

Really no benefit running additional amps unless you introduce an external crossover which also isn't worth the investment, imo

Ymmv
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Just run one amp for now

Really no benefit running additional amps unless you introduce an external crossover which also isn't worth the investment, imo

Ymmv

^ THIS ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    if you are bent on using both integrated amps just turn their volume controls all the way (wide open), this takes them out of the circuit and you have two power amps.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • newbie308
    Options
    Seems I have a lot to learn... I really appreciate all of the advice I get here! Thank you!
  • VR3
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    if you are bent on using both integrated amps just turn their volume controls all the way (wide open), this takes them out of the circuit and you have two power amps.

I do not believe that is a true statement for an active preamp.

A passive preamp, this would be true.

An active preamp can add gain, so if you go to max this would effectively go above unity, ie no gain/pass thru and most likely introduce much distortion.

Now the may be active preamp or integrated that have that feature but definitely verify
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited July 2022
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

I do not believe that is a true statement for an active preamp.

A passive preamp, this would be true.

An active preamp can add gain, so if you go to max this would effectively go above unity, ie no gain/pass thru and most likely introduce much distortion.

Now the may be active preamp or integrated that have that feature but definitely verify

most if not all inexpensive tube integrated amps from China have passive preamp sections.
    that being said, check your owners manual or make sure the preamp section is passive.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156