Options
2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Happy 50th Birthday!

My first introduction to Polk Audio was through a high school buddy in about 1982-83, sophomore year. We both used to read Stereo Review and send in the reader service cards. Each ad in the magazine had a number and you'd circle that number on the reader service card and send it to Stereo Review and in a 4-6 weeks you'd start receiving literature on your most coveted audio gear.

He had a pair of Polk 5A's or B's, don't remember. They always sounded great and I remember Polk Audio ad's always being memorable with Matt in his lab coat. I always wanted a pair of Polks, but they were pricey and I was a high school student who couldn't afford $500 for a pair of 5B's.

Fast forward a few years to about 1986, graduated from HS (1984), got a "real" job at a retail store in the audio department. My local high end store had a pair of lightly used 5B's for $250, I negotiated $200 and took them home. Absolutely loved them compared to the book shelf speakers I had.

I took them into work and placed them in the speaker room and people were amazed how good they sounded. When they wanted to buy a pair I referred them to the local high end store unbeknownst to my manager....lol. Eventually I helped sell about 4/5 pairs (for the other store) and I got a job offer through a friend at that local high end store.

After that, it was history, my love for SDA and more high end gear was born at that time 1988 or so. Worked there a few years and decided College was important, so eventually went off to college. The 11T's went with me to college and survived intact. I had those for a long time. Eventually sold those to a forum member and bought LSi 9's.

Working at the high end store I took advantage of employee discounts and sold the 5B's and bought a pair of brand new RTA-11T in black ash. Wanted SDA's but just couldn't swing it. I was still living at home and I remember wanting to hide the purchase from my parents so I left them in the back of my 1984 GTI for a few days until the time was right to sneak them in. They didn't realize them for at least a week....lol

Eventually I discovered this Forum (I think that was 15+ years ago) bought a pair of used modded SDA 1C's at a local mini-Polk meet. Acquired another pair of 5B's, modded them myself. Attended 2 Polkfests........

I now own 1C's, 5B's, RT25i's, and most recently R200's and will be buying L600's or L800's in the near future. I have also owned RTA11-T and LSi 9's.

It's been an enjoyable ride..............and it's not over.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Still to this day, I prefer the sound of the vintage doped-paper cones. These are what set Polk apart, and on the right foot in the early days.
    In the early 90's, as a young Airman at Kadena AFB, I would try to visit the BX each week to get a listening session of the large SDAs on display. I remember many guys that had their SDAs transported back to the States after their tour was over. Good times.
    Many vintage sets later, still my favorite platform to listen to and work with.

Thanks Polk for all the years of musical enjoyment.
    Post edited by xschop on
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Happy 50th Birthday Polk Audio!

I bought my first set of Polks on Feb 6, 1990, they were a pair of RTA-8T speakers for my two channel system. Over the years I would add the Fxi 3s and a DSW 400.

I absolutely loved them and they performed flawlessly until Feb. 6, 2017 when I upgraded to the Signature S60s. It was love at first sight when I saw them here on the forum and I was determined to own a pair.

For Christmas 2021, I gifted my brother a pair of Signature S55s and he raved about how he was hearing things in the higher registers that he had never heard before.

Needless to say, I started wondering about what I might be missing so I now have a complete set of Polk speakers. The S60s, ES30 and S15s.

I value quality, and Polk has more than proven that they can produce quality products at every price point that will last for years. Which is why I didn’t hesitate to buy another set of Polk speakers.

Congratulations on your 50th year Polk Audio, and may you have another 50 more!

Cathy

Well look at what the cat dragged in! Welcome back Cathy! B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    Options
    Happy birthday Polk! Bought my first pair brand new in 1986, SDA 2's. $1,600 a pair.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Cathy.....I must say....

It's good to hear from you again. Long time....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    Happy 50th Birthday Polk...🎉🎉🎉 Here's to another wonderful 50yrs of marvelous speaker design.
    My only pair of Polk were their LSi 15...I certainly enjoyed them!

Nice to hear from you Cathy! Don't be a stranger 🎶🎶
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »

I value quality, and Polk has more than proven that they can produce quality products at every price point that will last for years. Which is why I didn’t hesitate to buy another set of Polk speakers.

Congratulations on your 50th year Polk Audio, and may you have another 50 more!

Cathy

Cathy, Thanks so much for sharing your story and for so succinctly summing up our mission. If we have our way it will be more than another 50 :smile:

Much appreciated,

Carl
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Still to this day, I prefer the sound of the vintage doped-paper cones. These are what set Polk apart, and on the right foot in the early days.
    In the early 90's, as a young Airman at Kadena AFB, I would try to visit the BX each week to get a listening session of the large SDAs on display. I remember many guys that had their SDAs transported back to the States after their tour was over. Good times.
    Many vintage sets later, still my favorite platform to listen to and work with.

Thanks Polk for all the years of musical enjoyment.

Xschop, thank you for telling us this story, for supporting the brand over the years, and for your service to the country.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

Fast forward a few years to about 1986, graduated from HS (1984), got a "real" job at a retail store in the audio department. My local high end store had a pair of lightly used 5B's for $250, I negotiated $200 and took them home. Absolutely loved them compared to the book shelf speakers I had.

I took them into work and placed them in the speaker room and people were amazed how good they sounded. When they wanted to buy a pair I referred them to the local high end store unbeknownst to my manager....lol. Eventually I helped sell about 4/5 pairs (for the other store) and I got a job offer through a friend at that local high end store.

H9, this is greatness! Thank you for sharing this.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

@CarlJacobson_POLK AFAIK no one "here" on the Polk forum has ever determined whether this early verion of the Seven with a piezo tweeter ever actually existed!? If you get bored at work one day, feel free to do some sleuthing! ;)

I may be interviewing a few special people from Polk's history soon, and I will see if I can get to the bottom of the mystery. Thanks!

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

@CarlJacobson_POLK AFAIK no one "here" on the Polk forum has ever determined whether this early verion of the Seven with a piezo tweeter ever actually existed!? If you get bored at work one day, feel free to do some sleuthing! ;)

I may be interviewing a few special people from Polk's history soon, and I will see if I can get to the bottom of the mystery. Thanks!

Make sure you start with the man who's name was on the front door...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I’ve had a good number of Polk audio speakers through the years, but when I first got into this hobby in the ‘90s didn’t have the bank for the higher quality lines offered at the time; but I remember regularly visiting Best Sound on N Lindbergh in StL, MO to listen to the RT series.

I also frequented American in N StL, MO to listen to LSi15s in the mid-2000s. These were sooo good, but I had purchased my long-time reference speakers before I discovered these.

I have otherwise had Monitor and R series which served nicely in HT use, especially to bring some mercy to less than refined AVRs. This to me is what I think of when it comes to Polk Audio; warm, effortless listening. When one wants to just hear and enjoy the music, Polk delivers.

I’ve been seriously contemplating R200s for a while. Maybe some Burled Walnut veneer (hint, hint) 50th Anniv. R200s could be my first high-end Polks? 😉
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I think a nice touch would be som Polk Signature badges that can be easily installed on the Reserve and Legend lines. These could either be available for a nominal charge or free, depending on how the company chooses to do it…. Perhaps even include Matt and crew in the lab coats with the entire current Polk lineup.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    ... Perhaps even include Matt and crew in the lab coats with the entire current Polk lineup.

Laser-etched graphics. B)

1j6pxqzyz87m.jpg

;)

• mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ Aww, that is so sweet!
    (and - believe it or not - I am not being facetious)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Good stuff! Thanks Doc!