Signature Elite VS Reserve

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Ok,
I was just browsing around on the website and noticed that the Signature line has a new series out in the Elite. Ok So they basically have the same 3 colors as the Reserve line does BUT I think their finishes are WAY nicer at least in pictures than the Reserve line does. They have a pretty good looking Black Wood look followed by a really nice Whit wood look and the wood grain Walnut like finish is also very nice.
Then you go back to the Reserve series and think , what happened?

So has anyone seen both lines in person and compared finishes?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• My surround speakers are ES10, they sound great, knowing what I know now, it would be tempting to me to build an all ES series system and I would likely be happy. Don't get me wrong, I love my Reserve, but the ES10 just surprised the heck out of me sound wise. I have them really close though, about 2' from my ears, it is all I could do for surrounds.

Looks wise, I got the white ones, and they look great for my application, but they are not in the same league as the Reserve. The fit and finish is nice but the parts feel plasticky, and the color does not really look like wood in person, more of like a layered see through paint scheme, on each of my ES10 there is smears or obvious blotches, but nothing that causes me any concern.

I have read a couple of your posts and it seems you are really wanting to get a good idea of what to expect with the Reserve. For what it is worth, I think you will find them nicer than you think. I know in pictures they look plain jane, and they kind of are?, but the quality is just amazing, and I do not know how to get that across in words. The hard edge corners are impeccably finished, I do not know how they do that with the wrapping, the binding posts also look and feel like something you would find on a much higher priced speaker.

You can't go wrong with any of them. I think it all depends how much you want to spend, there is an obvious quality jump from ES to Reserve, but I am not sure how much of a sound jump there is. My guess is there is some, and remember, mine are basically just surrounds, I never tested them as 2ch up front main speakers, but they sound great to me for what I bought them for and maybe only a Reserve bookshelf would beat them but that would be overkill IMO.

Hope this helps any, I am willing to answer anything you want about either. The way I think of it, getting the Reserve is basically getting a high end product, the ES is a lower end product that does not sacrifice sound that much but is mostly plastic, in person it looks and feels like a cheaper speaker then a Reserve.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I like the dark grey/black finish on the Reserve speakers because the speakers pretty much vanish into the shadows when the lights are turned off.