Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited June 2022
    Options
    speaking of ugly Toyotas -- perhaps when new this one was stylish, but note the location and the Toyota Racing Development (ahem, TRD) graphic on this battle-scarred Tercel.

d3kanmk4f67g.png

source: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/caption-contest/caption-contest-toyota-tercel-trd-wagon-in-front-of-outhouse/

It's even (roughly) the right color...
    :#

PS Remember when that high roofline look was a thing on these little proto-"SUV" wagons and microminivans? Like the Dodge Colt Vista? B)

05njiz1oi6fg.png

or the early '90s CR-V?

br118vwnzigz.png

PPS I had forgotten that generation of Tercels -- I could've done without a reminder, but CC wanted me to have flashbacks, I suppose. ;)

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I'll bet they redesigned the roof height to accommodate tall people.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    Options
    Looks like a Pacer with bulges
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Looks like a Pacer with bulges

More like a Pacer that somebody ironed, wouldn't you say? ;)

I mean, the Pacer was kinda... bulbous. :#

x4uxnxacifmc.png

7nfo5aj8plhs.png

I guess nowadays the term might be curvy? B)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited June 2022
    Options
    puq96au1jcvi.png

Pacer? Where?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,519
    Options
    “The first wide small car.”
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    That new Corrola Jesse posted looks like the Darth Vader version, or like they thought a Bambi Rammer might make it useful when traveling outside the city limits.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Sorry but I really love my Corolla Hatc. Will love to have my hands on that 1.6 300hp all wheel drive baby. For a 3 cylinder is a big engine. Most of them are 1.0l or lower.

eigaerq9puwh.jpg

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Is "big 3 cylinder" a good idea?
    (just a rhetorical question)
    ;)

In disclosure, and FWIW, when I think of 3-cylinder engines, I hearken back to the Fordson tractors (named for Edsel, Henry Ford's son.). :|

ma9d6hjn6yln.png
    2.5 L Diesel 3-cyl

oh, and SAAB, too :)
    3 cyl, 2 stroke (petrol, tho')

1xo41j88o5nq.png
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix in GM trim). This is what happens when a car is in the middle of a redesign but is going to be discontinued and the design engineers are gone but haven't finished the rear so an accountant runs to Lowes finishes the job. "Well it needs a rear window. ... There, done!" It gets a big NOPE!
    wapymqzm82k6.png
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    On point Stan, on point.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    The AWD Matrix & Vibe were cool little cars, though.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    May be one of the only Pontiacs that still drive 😛

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • skrol
    Options
    The pre-face lift Vibe looked decent. The face lift version looked like they gave up on it before complete and just threw some pieces at it. There are still quite a few running around.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    The pre-face lift Vibe looked decent. The face lift version looked like they gave up on it before complete and just threw some pieces at it. There are still quite a few running around.

And now they build Tesla's out of that plant...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    The one in Fremont? That was a Toyota plant.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The one in Fremont? That was a Toyota plant.

That it was. NUMMI The GM/Toyota joint venture that originally built Corollas and the badge-engineered Novas. There was some Saturn connection, too -- but memory is hazy at this late date ;)

We lived in Milpitas when we were in the Silicon Valley, just a few miles away. The Fremont mall was very close to the NUMMI plant. We were way on the northern edge of Milpitas, very close to Fremont and I-680. We used to go to that mall... more than occasionally. Malls were still a thing in those days. ;)
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited June 2022
    Options
    tiylgv6hrlxh.jpeg

My daughter just bought this yesterday
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited June 2022
    Options
    This particular wannabe is taking aim at the venerable GTI. I do find the one Jesse posted less than attractive and trying way too hard. But it's not really aimed at my (and most of us on here) demographic. This is what the "young" people expect, lots of show, trying to attract attention so to speak.

I prefer the subdued (some say boring) lines of my GTI. Understated, grown-up and just a hint of sporty w/o announcing "look at me"! Don't care for the look of the extreme Honda Civic either.....too busy and trying too hard.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited June 2022
    Options
    This was my 1st car given to me by parents starting sophomore year of HS 1982

1975 Datsun B-210 - 4 speed (mine was **** Brown) came with bias ply tires. It was freedom, ugly freedom, but freedom non-the less...lol

4mgw3lkir5jc.png
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ahh, the B-210. :)
  • heiney9
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ahh, the B-210. :)

Actually mine was a sedan now that I remember, not the fastback/hatchback.

This is it, but **** brown and the end fender guards were not as faded as the ones in this photo.

81ydx241956b.png

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited June 2022
    Options
    My walk behind lawnmower has more power than those😜
    Just think we thought gas was high in 82, now we dream about those prices.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

1975 Datsun B-210 - 4 speed (mine was **** Brown) came with bias ply tires. It was freedom, ugly freedom, but freedom non-the less...lol

4mgw3lkir5jc.png

I did have a 2dr 1981 B-210 from my parents with the 4 manual.

That thing can run for ever. I remember one time I drove the thing with a broken radiator for miles till I got home and been a teen just added water right when I got home. There was a lot of water steam coming from the radiator.

Next morning installed a new radiator, new thermostat and drove the thing for few more years with not problems.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Back in the early '90s a coworker of mine still had one of those little Datsun B210 Honey Bees as his commuter car. A passenger could lift the passenger side rubber floor mat up and watch the road go by underneath. He kept it running for a few more years.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    edited June 2022
    Options
    HA! My Dad's buddy Bob could do the same thing with his 280Z [EDIT: Could have been a 240 or 260Z.....that was a long time ago]. Rust used to be a major issue with Datsuns BITD.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »

4mgw3lkir5jc.png

I did have a 2dr 1981 B-210 from my parents with the 4 manual.

That thing can run for ever. I remember one time I drove the thing with a broken radiator for miles till I got home and been a teen just added water right when I got home. There was a lot of water steam coming from the radiator.

Next morning installed a new radiator, new thermostat and drove the thing for few more years with not problems.

Cheers

It never broke down, always ran, always started. It was my Dad's "work car" originally knowing I'd get it in a year or two. The floor boards were rusted out pretty bad so deep snow and slush would make humps in the floor mats.

The B-210 was running when we sold it for parts, the strut tower on the brake booster side was rusted pretty bad and leaning on the brake master pretty heavily. If the strut tower let go it would take the brake master cylinder out and we all felt that was too dangerous a situation for 16-17 year old kid (me).

Just like all the mid/late 70's imports, they were rust buckets, living their lives in the Midwest ate them up quickly.

His new work car ended up being a 1977 Opel GT. Solid car, but had a bad carb (Solex). You'd have to keep your foot on the gas (as well as brake while coasting in Neutral) when coming to a stop or it would stall. He traded a 1969 Maico 360cc racing bike (equipped for street) for a brand new Weber carb for the Opel GT. That Maico was scary fast!! Probably good he got rid of it. That doubled as a work ride in the warmer months.

We always had a nice family car, but my Dad's work cars were always inexpensive, older and needed work. All he did was drive to work and back in them, so they didn't have to be that good as long as they were reliable.

H9
  • skrol
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My walk behind lawnmower has more power than those😜
    Just think we thought gas was high in 82, now we dream about those prices.

Hell, now we dream about 2021 gas prices.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff:
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options

1975 Datsun B-210 - 4 speed (mine was baby **** Brown) came with bias ply tires. It was freedom, ugly freedom, but freedom non-the less...lol

4mgw3lkir5jc.png

Fixed it
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus