What would you get?

denis87
denis87 Posts: 86
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Out of the following what would you get? Any suggestions in other speakers are welcome.
1. Alpine SPR-176a
2. Kenwood Excelon KFC-XR61P
3. Infinity kappa 60.5cs
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA60.5CS'&Ser=KAP&Cat=COS
4. Rockford Fanatic Q FNQ3614
5. Polk Momo MM6
6. Alpine SPX-177a
7. Focal Access line 165A
8. MB Quart RCE 216
9. JL VR650csi
10. Boston Acoustics RC620
11. Diamond Audio M661

My musical preferences are mostly hard rock, metal, rap, drum and bass.
www.dmbvideo.com www.oilfans.com
Post edited by denis87 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    out of all those youve listed, ive heard like 3...lol
    maybe more and never knew it
    if you were REALLY wanting an answer youd provide links to each with specs:)
    otherwise...i can tell you that you probably cant go wrong with any of them, aside from inifinity and RF...possibly the Alpine as well
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • denis87
    edited June 2004
    finally updated with links
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    I would stay away from all Infinity products. They are way too bright and tinny sounding for anything with a guitar. I know cause I had a pair and hated them! Alpine are a little harsh as well for rock.

Bostons are not that great and arent worth the price.

MB Quart Reference are very good but are a little brighter than I like. Excellent detail though.

JLs TR and VR are good speakers but not great. The XR series is excellent. You couldnt go wrong with them.

The MM6 is great for rock and metal cause they are nice and smooth and warm sounding. They also can handle a lot of power and have a nice price for the performance. These would be my second choice.

Diamond Audios M6 speakers are also awesome. Ive listened to them in a showroom and also in the dealers demo car (Tahoe) and they are great. They are a little glassier sounding than the Momos but have more detail. Performance wise they are a tie but the Momos are $270 on SoundDomain and the M6 is $360 at a dealer cause they dont authorize internet sales. Id take these third.

Focal rules! Not too much more can be said. It sucks they are made by the **** french but what can you do? Ive heard the Access, Polyglass and the old Poly-K series and have yet to hear anything that can match them. They are perfect for metal too because they are super smooth sounding, so much so they are almost "sweet". The ride cybmbals on a good mixed CD sound almost good enough to eat! I love Polk Audio and usually always recommend them but if youre trying to decide between Focal and Polk I will always have to give the nod to Focal. Find a dealer and go give them a listen. Youll love em.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    top 5
    diamond
    focal
    polk
    **edit**Kenwood eXcelons**edit**
    boston
    jl**edit**is no longer in the top 5**edit**

the top 3 are the ones ive actually heard, the rest is going off some basic specs
    focal will probably be a little more detailed, but theyre only 60 watts rms compared to the diamonds 170 and the polks 150...i couldnt live with only 60 watts, but thats just me
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Cody, what's gotten into you man? You just put JL in the top 5 best speaker manufacturers? I thought you "only ever recommend" that one JL amp...now you're moving to speakers too? Macleod isn't going to be able to contain his excitement, you know...:D
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    not the best, just out of the stuff he listed...but i forgot about the kenwoods
    id take the eXcelons over the JLs, ive heard those before...pretty damn nice, actually, id put them even with the momos, putting the Bostons at number 5
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Yeah the Focals are rated at 60 watts but I guaran-damn-tee ya they will handle 100-125 with ease. Now thats still a lot less than the 5000 you like to feed your speakers but dont sell the Focals too short.

True they arent an SPL speaker so if youre wanting to break glass they arent for you. They are, however, the best sounding speakers you can get. And 100 watts per channel is a lot of power and I am willing to bet that it will be loud enough for most people. Besides, there is a point where more power isnt going to make a speaker sound any better, itll just be louder.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    boston acoustics makes full range speakers that handle like 400 watts RMS
    THATS crazy
    talk about making your ears bleed...
    -Cody
  • denis87
    edited June 2004
    Thanks guys your opinions are greatly appreciated. I've heard focal's and yes i thought they did sound great but no one in edmonton has polk's. All the car stereo stores are so inconsistent as well some speaker boards run off amps other's off the HU. How can you make fair comparisions like that. Are there any other brands you guys would suggest I look into? My budget is $350CDN.
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2004
    I've heard the diamond audio's at a store. They sounded pretty good. However, I haven't had a chance to listen to the others you have listed.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • denis87
    edited June 2004
    I've heard the focal access line isn't very strong or is it bulls**t? I hope it's not true they are the cheapest out of the diamonds, polk, focal (the models i showed).
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2004
    If you're looking for bang-for-the-buck, Focals are out of the question. I haven't heard the Access line, but from my past experiences, Focals always can be beat out by other speakers in the same price range.

Just my 2 cents.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • denis87
    edited June 2004
    yeah it's so hard to judge for myself what i want because the three aren't lined up together for a fair comparision. I did listen to the kenwood excelon's, and boston (models i listed above) beside the focal's and I thought the focal's where better with the boston's a close second. The kenwood's did seem a tad clearer but had less mid bass. Although who knows how the crossovers where set on each speaker.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    and plus the fact that sound rooms sound MUCH different than a car
    -Cody
  • denis87
    edited June 2004
    basically what i'm trying to get is the best bang for the buck. SQ is more important to me than SPL. I also want something that will play my musical tastes the best. Although everywhere i've asked for opinions Polk's always got the nod, as well as the diamonds.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Ya gotta go with what sound best to you and tell everybody else to kiss your ****. I love JL Audio and get my **** kicked all the time on here for it but I still luv em! :p

If you like the Focals best (as I do) the go with them and tell everybody else that when they start paying for your speakers then youll take **** off of them!

Focals rule
    Polk Audio is the best speaker you can get for the money
    Diamond Audio is in between the two. More detailed than the Polks but not as smooth and higher price tag.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    JL does not make bad stuff, i just dont like em for several different reasons
    but agreed, i would try my best to listen to all the speakers before you buy them...
    you might want to look at CDT as well
    they sell them at www.sounddomain.com/shop
    thats pretty good stuff as well...im planning on getting 3-ways in about a year and their TOTL models are one of the ones im looking at
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    I dont think they sell CDT at SoundDomain bro.

Youll have to go to Main Street Audio to get those from an authorized dealer.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    nope...they dont...i couldve sworn they did...
    anywho...still nice speakers
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    theres a porsche on sounddomain that insists there is much better than cdt and focal, in case you were wondering; this guy is filthy rich, though, so maybe it's not an option for any of us regular people, but he uses McIntosh amps and speakers, and an ID sub (or multiple, i dunno). anyone heard of mcintosh?

i havent heard cdt; how do they compare to, say, focals? since you seem set on them...

but anyways, like mac said, just go with what you think sounds best, you'll be happier that way
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • denis87
    edited June 2004
    i hear that image dynamics sounds great with their horns.
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    yeah, horns do generally sound quite good, and they're very high efficiency, but a **** to mount properly

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • denis87
    edited June 2004
    where do you usually mount them?
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    McIntosh amps are some of the best amps in the world, if not THE best
    CDTs are awesome speakers...i usually dont recommend them on here simply because i forget
    their Eurosport speakers come with a 5 year warranty!
    talk about confidence in your products...
    horns sound really awesome, but i would never put on in my car
    the efficiency is simply too high to match any type of mid with it
    positioning is a total **** with those things
    dont get me wrong, theres ways to get around those things...but theyre not for me
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    all custom fiberglass, usually under the dash, sometimes in the doors.

but yeah, like cody said, you need some serious midbass and sub reinforcement to match horn tweets... i do believe that horns cover midrange, but midbass simply requires too large of a horn to be practical...

cody - how would you compare mcintosh with trutech?

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    mcintosh to trutech is like...usamps to RF
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    damn... how bout their speakers vs. focal utopia?

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/default.aspx

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    dunno...
    i would assume the McIntosh to be superior but i do not know...
    ive never even seen one of those amps or their speakers in real life, everything i know about them is strictly from what ive heard...
    -Cody
  • denis87
    edited June 2004
    what about the adire koda components? I heard they are suppose to be good. haha you know i'm gonna end up asking you guys every speaker company before i'll actually get a pair.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    ive always heard they were really good, but they are more expensive than all the components you listed i believe...
    all the reviews ive heard of them were glowing, but then again most of the reviews ive heard of them are from friends of a guy who sells adire on his website, www.sound-foundations.us , do i dunno
    -Cody