Sony SS-M9 finally up for sale, with extras

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,185
edited May 2022 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Yes, I'm selling my big Sony SS-M9. I'm offering it here for now exclusively. Local pickup only since these weigh 150lbs each. I'm on the west side of Metro Atlanta.
Asking $1800 for everything including spare drivers (see below).
I never thought this day would come when I acquired these legendary Sony SS-M9 about 12 years ago. I wrote about my epic journey to Buffalo NY to pick these babies up from the original owner along with a period matching Sony ES component set, all in original boxes. I've loved the sound of these speakers from first listen and thought I finally had my "until I die" setup (at least for the speakers). I went through the effort of buying a pair of spare original Seas mid-range drivers (Sony just re-badged them) and a pair of Vifa tweeter domes/coils (again a re-badge) just in case one of the unobtaium parts were to fail. They haven't yet. I tried unsuccessfully to find at least one of the 8" bass drivers, but never had any luck. If you feed it clean power and don't try to reach above 120db, these should last a lifetime.
The original boxes are gone now. I've moved them twice since my original home and they just don't work in my new house. The great room in my latest house has a weird funnel layout that just doesn't leave me room to have a set of speakers this large, especially when you also factor in they need to be about 3' from the front wall and you need to sit about 10-15' back from them. Don't forget, the speakers themselves are almost 2' deep! These are large room speakers for sure. Yes, you could squeeze them in a smaller space, but you really need a room that gives you a good 20' front to back without things like doors or fireplaces ruining the placement. That's my problem.
So they are in very good condition for the age. The wood finish is nearly flawless other than one or two minor dings and some light scratches. I've used Howard's Feed-n-Wax on them exclusively since I picked them up in 2010. About once a year, they get a good coat and polish. I have heavy duty stainless steel spikes for these (non-original, but work great). They will need a set of jumpers or bi-wire. The brass originals sucked anyway.
The speaker grills will need to be re-clothed if that bothers you. I re-did them back in 2010, but I stretched them too tight and the corners started to pull almost immediately. My cat had some fun with them after the last move as well. She was a bit stressed.
They look so much better without the grills anyway. I'd just keep them in a closet.

Fresh photos below. The uploader screwed up the order, so just take a look at all of them to get the full picture. All angles shown of each.

2qtgibrllsou.jpg
jmpqmg6pclws.jpg
t44955djciae.jpg
wksqbpat4zjb.jpg
5jcxhgnpqjqo.jpg
gmmbm29fb0s9.jpg
ruc52ci9t7cz.jpg
dtjv64ix3ptd.jpg
d4ikpn4beh2j.jpg
jnqp0idojhhe.jpg
yhaldz3hp3yo.jpg
u9tvr6kqn2nl.jpg
21k52owiyg0s.jpg
d6l1cz5nx5r8.jpg
vkzh0qplv5zx.jpg
tvf28hdnx4zr.jpg
bfta8o7plc2e.jpg
tthy39oofabd.jpg
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Man........
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Even though you "are done with audio"....get'chuu some Trey!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    Ha... My wife would kill me...

Heck I would kill me

Sweet deal though. I've heard a set of these and I'm not sure for 1800 bucks you could do much better??
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    bctfkqxtes2d.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    I love the spirit and I encourage this behavior for everyone else!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I love the spirit and I encourage this behavior for everyone else!!

Come on man.. with your crossover skills, these are just begging you to show them some love.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    I know right... These are good ones for sure (for someone) 😁😁😁
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I think we should keep bumpin this thread until Trey steps up and takes them home. Unless he is afraid these will trounce his Focals. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
  • VR3
    Options
    If I had a bigger house with like a play room or something........ Maybe 😜
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    If I had a bigger house with like a play room or something........ Maybe 😜
    Bedroom speakers….

• VR3
    Options
    I could bolt them to the ceiling of the half bath
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    That cherry veneer has got a beautiful tone. Me like B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• LORDROOTMAN
    Options
    OP PM sent I’m interested
    I have M3 and M7 this M9 will complete my Sony dream thanks
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I would love to give those a try but to far from my location. If you will deliver them to Fort Worth I'll take em! :D
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    You could certainly spend a lot more and get a lot less, that's for sure.......

That being said.....A. Trey LEGIT doesn't have space for them and B. His Grand Utopias trounce, soundly, anything I've heard......

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • billbillw
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I wouldn't class these in the same league to something like a pair of Grande Utopias, but I do think they would better a good deal of speakers that have a higher price tag.

I have never touched the crossovers on these. They were built to a pretty high standard for the day, but there is obviously room for improvement with newer audiophile parts. There is not a lot of DIY support for these because they are pretty rare. I don't think I've seen serial #s past 500 (not including the first several numbers) on these. I think they only made them for about 2 years before they replaced it (and upped the price significantly) with the M9ED.

BTW, Mine are serials 8000272 and 8000274. You almost never see them as sequential. I saw #273 sell a couple years ago (mated with #260)
    Post edited by billbillw on
  • bugsnt
    bugsnt Posts: 75
    Options
    Gorgeous ... Simply Gorgeous
  • billbillw
    Options
    BTW, these are still available. I haven't been pushing them because I was on the fence if I really wanted to part with them. I'm past that now so here's the bump!

So far, at the Forum, I've only been contacted by people who just signed up to ask about the SS-M9. The price here is for real forum members/contributors. I'm not doing Uship either. These are for a local face to face exchange.
  • VR3
    Options
    Thats about $6 a pound in speakers... cant beat it!
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Trey!, Trey!, Trey!

I’ve been waiting for a karma moment like this for The Enabler.

If you don’t have room, that’s ok. Necessity is the mother of invention. Buy them!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • VR3
    Options
    No doubt, super cool speakers!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2022
    Options
    butterbean wrote: »
    Stunning! They look like something Frank Lloyd Wright might design!

OMG, yes! These would fit right into one of his decors.

This 1939, Frank Lloyd Wright tri-level Andrew F. H. Armstrong House in North West Indiana is located about 20 miles from me. It sold recently for $1 million. The Sony's would be at home in this space.
    https://www.dwell.com/article/the-andrew-armstrong-house-frank-lloyd-wright-john-howe-ogden-dunes-real-estate-febd9411
    https://www.realtor.com/news/unique-homes/frank-lloyd-wright-armstrong-house-indiana/

the-1939-andrew-armstrong-house-in.jpg?resize=940%2C590&ssl=1
    frank-lloyd-wrights-armstrong-dune-house-in-indiana.jpg
    69svky0anloj.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • toucanet
    toucanet Posts: 580
    Options
    Bill,

PM Sent.
  • billbillw
    Options
    Sold. Thanks Chris!
  • VR3
    Options
    Yes! Thanks Chris! *Wipes brow*
  • billbillw
    Options
    Now, to find some replacements that can live in my space...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    toucanet wrote: »
    Bill,

PM Sent.

Congrats on the super set of speakers.
    One of those I always wanted to get ears on.
  • VR3
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »

I recommend the Wilson chronosonic
  • billbillw
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »

I recommend the Wilson chronosonic

Probably something more along the line of a used set of Revel Performa