Woodpecker problem ... don't judge me

Options
I hate the bass turds ... how do you control this protected invasive species
2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I know the best way shhhhh, but I'm not always around. They are at my deer lease and have put holes in my cabin, plucked out my game cam lens etc
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    Petrify your wood? It accordions woodpecker beaks in the cartoons every time.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2022
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Petrify your wood? It accordions woodpecker beaks in the cartoons every time.

Thanks pal :D:D
    I'll make sure that the peckers watch the cartoon

• msg
    Options
    I'm actually kind of curious what you figure out for this. I don't think I've ever seen or heard one in any neighborhoods I've lived, but I do see them from time to time in the more rural areas. I can see how they'd get annoying after a while. Is it just one, or do you have a lot of them going at once?

I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    There are several all over the ranch. They will make holes bigger than a golf ball on your house. They seek and destroy

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Have you tried a few suet feeders by chance. My uncle has woodpeckers galore & they love em. Never bother his house
    Randy/Maine
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Have you tried a few suet feeders by chance. My uncle has woodpeckers galore & they love em. Never bother his house

Liking that idea...

In rotation of my camp crew, will have to get people to pitch in on filling it

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Get a big bull-horn and blast them like a bad set of Klipschs.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You got bugs?

Nope

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You might try spraying the exterior with something bitter or spicy. I know pet stores sell bitter sprays.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    My dad uses suet blocks. I guess if they are fed they won't go after your house? I just use a pellet gun.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    edited March 2022
    Options
    At my bird feeder station I have 6 suet blocks set out for them. I've never had a problem with them touching anything other than the blocks and I like watching them. More than likely they're liberal woodpeckers as they like the free handouts and don't want to work for their food.

The squirrels were a problem but apparently they've spread the word in their community that the bird feeder area has a strictly enforced no squirrel zone
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    I put up a rubber snake where one was pecking under the eve.

Ole Woody flew in one day to start pecking, did a 180 and never came back.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Plastic owl decoy(s)
    Couple that with spraying the places they frequent with a solution of bitterant and hot sauce should discourage them.
    Placing a suet feeder with seed & worm cakes a short distance away will ensure they are still getting the food they typically bounce their little peckers on the walls for.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    Options
    Worm cakes......mmmmm.
    🪱🪱🪱
    Sal Palooza
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited March 2022
    Options
    My first thought was........hmm termites? Then my 2nd thought was that I have observed the numerous Peckers around me actually pounding on aluminum gutters in the springtime, which I have to believe they are endowed with the evolutionary wisdom to know there ain't no grubs or termites in that strange substance. I think they do it as a mating ritual to attract the opposite sex.

Woodpeckers must be pretty wise to take such a short cut in that endeavor by bashing their brains out in that manner........🤣
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Or just another example of testosterone poisoning? Yes, in the spring they use the loudest surface they can find to declare their territory and attract a mate.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited March 2022
    Options
    My parents have problems w/woodpeckers, for the most part, each spring. Have also arrived at the conclusion the heaviest pecking (petting...lol) is mating related.
    I think they do it as a mating ritual to attract the opposite sex.
    I've thought about using an owl decoy but might suggest the snake idea mentioned above.

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Suet blocks and target practice seems to be the most entertaining

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    My parents have problems w/woodpeckers, for the most part, each spring. Have also arrived at the conclusion the heaviest pecking (petting...lol) is mating related.
    I think they do it as a mating ritual to attract the opposite sex.
    I've thought about using an owl decoy but might suggest the snake idea mentioned above.

I haven't had good results with scaring birds and squirrels away with a couple of Hawk Decoys, nor an Owl decoy. I think they wise up pretty quickly when they see that the darn thing never moves!! For that reason I think a snake decoy could be better.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You might try spraying the exterior with something bitter or spicy. I know pet stores sell bitter sprays.

I know it's a conservation issue these days. But back on the ranch, my grandfather would 'spray' any nuisance with a 12 gauge.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

I know it's a conservation issue these days. But back on the ranch, my grandfather would 'spray' any nuisance with a 12 gauge.

I suspect that might be a little hard on the siding.....
  • xschop
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

I suspect that might be a little hard on the siding.....

Well Woody was fairly safe, as Wiley received the brunt of Gramp's Remington 'spray' wrath.
  • msg
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    You got bugs?
    Nope
    Liar! - you've had 'em ever since hanging with Chastity out under the bleachers in 9th grade!
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    You got bugs?
    Nope
    Liar! - you've had 'em ever since hanging with Chastity out under the bleachers in 9th grade!

Her name was Ginger

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    The males, I hear are territorial we wait a few days after they set up camp in your trees spray the area they frequent with diluted Tabasco and hot pepper sauce.

I make a couple of suet cakes with bacon fat mixed with bird seed dry meal worms shread jalapenos and ghost peppers put in areas they frequent after a while you dont see them return however they deter some other birds from also returning.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2022
    Options