Adding an Equalizer to an Integrated Amp

Options

Answers

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Amazon basics is CCA which isn't ideal. Are these the same cables you were using with your previous amp? Also can you post a photo of the rear of the M5si so we can see the connections?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Well you'd ideally have an integrated with a balance control. Or you could try adjusting it from the source. But yeah most competent EQs don't have balance control IIRC.
  • Lacrymosa
    Lacrymosa Posts: 43
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Amazon basics is CCA which isn't ideal. Are these the same cables you were using with your previous amp? Also can you post a photo of the rear of the M5si so we can see the connections?

They are the same cables, but I am totally willing to invest in better ones.

The RCA cables in the CD inputs were for the bluetooth but I don't actually use that. Just the phono and turner unputs.

hq504sf7o1zp.jpeg
    wwx5jgrbgxfq.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Thanks for the pics! Interesting banana plugs on those cables.

I was thinking that another thing you could try is plugging in an A-B USB cable from a laptop to the USB input on the rear there. Then you'd be able to try the internal DAC and perhaps that offers better audio quality.
  • Lacrymosa
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Thanks for the pics! Interesting banana plugs on those cables.

I was thinking that another thing you could try is plugging in an A-B USB cable from a laptop to the USB input on the rear there. Then you'd be able to try the internal DAC and perhaps that offers better audio quality.

Haha I don't recall where I got them from.

I do have a custom built computer in the office, so I suppose I could probably plug that into the amp since all my music is on there anyway.

I know people hate this, but I honestly think the phone can do better than it is. As I mentioned with headphones and in my vehicle (with aftermarket Morel Tempo components) I have no issues with the sound from the phone at all.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Well I'm not saying it would automatically fix the issue you're experiencing, but it would be in an interesting data point/observation to hear how the internal DAC sounds vs the iPhone dongle.

Do you have a Spotify or Tidal account? What volumes do you typically listen at?
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    I do use Spotify, but mostly I listen through my music app. I rip CDs to iTunes and transfer the songs to the phone.

• Clipdat
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Also isn't the amp going to overheat and maybe even damage the TT with it sitting directly on top like that? Most manufacturers recommend at least 3-4" clearance above the vents in order to ensure the component has a means to exhaust it's heat.

Not trying to overly critique and pick apart your setup, just trying to look out for your investments.

Edit: From the user manual:
    byvlg0hswugs.png
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Lacrymosa wrote: »
    I do use Spotify, but mostly I listen through my music app. I rip CDs to iTunes and transfer the songs to the phone.

Try out my bass-heavy test tracks playlist and see if this gets those woofers moving: https://spoti.fi/3LJs9r4
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    Also isn't the amp going to overheat and maybe even damage the TT with it sitting directly on top like that? Most manufacturers recommend at least 3-4" clearance above the vents in order to ensure the component has a means to exhaust it's heat.

Not trying to overly critique and pick apart your setup, just trying to look out for your investments.

Edit: From the user manual:
    byvlg0hswugs.png

Good to know I will adjust that now.
  • Clipdat
    Options

AIFF format?
  • Lacrymosa
    Options

AIFF format?

Apple Lossless, 16 or 24 bit depending on the source.
  • Lacrymosa
    edited March 2022
    Options

Try out my bass-heavy test tracks playlist and see if this gets those woofers moving: https://spoti.fi/3LJs9r4

Haha thanks I will!
    Edit - Hm says page not found on my end
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Joining back in....those speaker cables have got to go. Cables, including RCA's are an important part of a quality audio rig. Look around at the various audio retailers to see what is out there, then read the reviews. After that look around for used cables. There is a business called The Cable Company, where you can buy used cables and if you don't like them you can return them for which they will charge you 10% of the asking price. It's not a bad way to try various cables.

Another possibility is to see if there are any audio nuts close to you that might bring over some quality cables to demo.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Another thought, is the MF on a dedicated 20 amp line or is it on a shared 15 amp line? Is it plugged straight into the wall or some sort of power conditioner?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    edited March 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Another possibility is to see if there are any audio nuts close to you that might bring over some quality cables to demo.

Hey baby, you wanna demo my cable?? *wink*
  • Lacrymosa
    Options

I will try it out!
    Joining back in....those speaker cables have got to go. Cables, including RCA's are an important part of a quality audio rig. Look around at the various audio retailers to see what is out there, then read the reviews. After that look around for used cables. There is a business called The Cable Company, where you can buy used cables and if you don't like them you can return them for which they will charge you 10% of the asking price. It's not a bad way to try various cables.

Thank you both for all your advice! I will definitely change the cables, my next investment!

• Lacrymosa
    Options
    Another thought, is the MF on a dedicated 20 amp line or is it on a shared 15 amp line? Is it plugged straight into the wall or some sort of power conditioner?

It’s plugged into a power bar.

Hey baby, you wanna demo my cable?? *wink*

Sadly not the first time I’d have been asked.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Plug it straight into the wall. If you don't have a dedicated 20 amp line feeding it, consider getting one installed. It makes a difference.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    It’s plugged into a power bar.

If you don't do anything else? Plug that into the wall outlet directly.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    Ok! Thank you again!
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Get a RARE Vintage AudioControl Model C-101 Octave Equalizer Spectrum Analyzer TESTED it's on eBay .I had one very good eq
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Still won't adjust the balance.
  • F1nut
    Options
    It sounds counterintuitive but when you move to an integrated amp like this with less distortion, sometimes the bass can sound more lean & tight as opposed to loose and boomey.

What you might be hearing is not "less bass" but rather a higher quality low end reproduction based on the M5si's grip on the woofers.

^THIS^

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I know hindsight is 20/20, but maybe this will help someone else out.
    Before you purchase any piece of equipment, make a checklist of the features that you need/want and prioritize them.

There are integrated amps that have tone controls, balance, and loudness controls.
    Some of them are Luxman, Marantz, Denon, Parasound, and others.
    The MF should not have been on your short list.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Lacrymosa
    edited March 2022
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I know hindsight is 20/20, but maybe this will help someone else out.
    Before you purchase any piece of equipment, make a checklist of the features that you need/want and prioritize them.

There are integrated amps that have tone controls, balance, and loudness controls.
    Some of them are Luxman, Marantz, Denon, Parasound, and others.
    The MF should not have been on your short list.

I don’t regret my decision, but thanks man super helpful!
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    That could very well be the case. Maybe I like the loose sound? It wouldn't say the bass is missing from the music so that seems plausible. I've been playing mostly rock, hard rock, some leaning more to metal, and some a bit more symphonic. Some songs seem to produce better results than others, so it also comes down to the recoding/mixing in some cases.
    Maybe simply pushing the speakers closer to the wall will get you the loose sound you want.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Have you checked the settings on the eq built into your phone?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Good call. Check Settings -> Music -> EQ and see what it's set to.