The L800's have arrived.....

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited March 2022 in 2 Channel Audio
So, I've been waiting for these for awhile.....finally picked them up at Chez Trey this past weekend at the Carolina Audiofest.

Got 'em home and got them set up....and also the Adcom GFP 750 and Sunfire 300 amp have been displaced by a MF Tri Vista 300 Integrated.

I gotta tell ya....just from an emotional/nostalgia standpoint, it kinda makes me misty. I remember chatting with Matt Polk with some other guys at Mark (Dorokusai)'s house back in 2005 and of course we were talking about SDA....and how if Polk EVER made another SDA, 2channel floorstander, goddammit, if we had to sell a kidney, we were buying them. Well, here we are. I had to make good on my word.

The Tri Vista. So, back in 2003 (I think it was 2003....) I FIRST heard SDA at @F1nut 's place. My SDA cherry was taken listening Steely Dan's Gaucho (Babylon Sister was the first track) on his 2.3tl's and Tri Vista. I was gobsmacked. Through the years, I've heard his rig again and again.....but that first time, man, that was a special, special moment. And I would argue that the sound of the Tri Vista isn't bested by the KW. In fact, if I had to choose between the two, I prefer the midrange of the Tri Vista......oh, and while I was having the time of my life listening to his rig? Jesse was dead. a$$. asleep.

Anyway. So the L800's need some run in....but, I have a couple of opinions. One, and I've alluded to this previously after listening to them at PF last fall.....these are not your father's SDA's. If you love the original SDA's...particularly if you've modded them....you probably won't love the L800 in the same way. They are very different speakers. The are a more resolution oriented speaker where as previous generations were more rounded on the edges (not to say that they weren't detailed but the detail never came at the expense of musicality) and exalted the music as opposed to just holding up a mirror to the recording. The L800's reproduce what you feed it. No more. No less.

The L800 is noticeably more fussy. Placement. At first I had them spread out....I don't know how far but they had a glare in the treble that was downright shrill on some recordings and the midrange/lower treble was disconnected from the bass and the upper registers. Moved them closer together.....and the glare subsided tremendously and the midrange became less localized. Things aren't altogether perfect....but I think that a few more hours of run in and all will be good in the neighborhood.

Anyway.....just a few initial observations.

Added bonus, I think I can probably rent out the shipping cartons as tiny homes. I might tape them together and make a duplex. These things could actually generate income!

And, I'm just going to throw this out there as I reflect on getting these pieces of kit....how much I appreciate this forum and, more importantly, it's members. F1Nut is a brother to me....even though I'm terrible about keeping in touch...I can't tell you guys how instrumental he was to keeping me sane those years in the desert. All night long, we'd email back and forth and it really kept me sane. Trey? Just watching him mature and now his a great guy taking on the world and just killing it....Tom and the rest of you lunatics. Audio is great...but the friendships here are just mind blowing good stuff.

pbo1i83pe8d6.jpg
envfm9spdtgn.jpg

I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Get that chair out of the way to the left...

Break in will take well into two months before you can properly judge them, but when they finally settle in, you will know.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    I agree that the Tri-Vista has a touch more magic to it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    At least they didn't send you two left speakers.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    Looking awesome Troy! Can't wait to hear it in October!

When I ordered those things, I was literally one click from having two left speakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Get that chair out of the way to the left...

Break in will take well into two months before you can properly judge them, but when they finally settle in, you will know.

Take under advisement......but, trust me, not my first rodeo and to an extent, the HiFi has to live in the space I have, not dictate it.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Congrats Troy!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Those are gorgeous Troy. Congrats
    Randy/Maine
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    congrats!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Take under advisement......but, trust me, not my first rodeo and to an extent, the HiFi has to live in the space I have, not dictate it.
    No worries, Troy. I am lucky enough to have a dedicated listening room with an absolute 0% WAF, yet I am still....limited to the Hi-Fi being able to live in the space I have. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

BTW, I was a little blown back when Trey was talking to someone and he had mentioned that he was 30! I mean, I know that I have known him for a while but that still.......well, let's just say that I wasn't prepared for those words to come out of his mouth.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    I'm actually 33, time has somehow increased in speed having a child 🤔🤔
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm actually 33, time has somehow increased in speed having a child 🤔🤔

You'll always be Sid the Kid. :)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Very nice.....looking forward to more impressions

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm actually 33, and I'm drinking milk!

I disabled signatures.
  • TroyD
    Options
    So further run in and listening......everything is fleshing out pretty much as I laid out previously.

This is one of the more revealing, neutral and uncolored speakers I've encountered. It reminds me of the Thiel 3.6's with MUCH better bass extension and impact. The treble on the L800 is pretty amazing, actually. Air, detail and just enough sparkle without getting shouty at higher volumes. Midrange detail and clarity I'd give a slight nod to the Thiel's.

Again, this is, IMO, an audiophile's speaker....which is a horse of a different color for Polk. I think they carried it off very well and am pleased.

Transitioning from the Bozaks is more difficult than I thought. I was spinning some Joan Baez last night and her rendition of Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits Brothers In Arms is a downright tear jerker on the Bozaks. They elicited that sort of emotional response. The L800's.....I'm admiring how great it sounds and how well it reproduces what's on the record but I'm not as drawn in to the music as I was with the Bozaks (and any other speaker I've listened to it on either to be honest).

More to follow!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Give them some time. Mine are just getting to a place that they can really involve you emotionally.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Play Black Magic Woman
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2022
    Options
    WoW! Santana never sounded like this before.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    It play nice on the 800's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Ron, thanks for that tid bit of advice you gave to Troy about Santana. It has been a dog's age since I listened to them.

I searched through my collection and pulled out the album and sat down for a good listen last night. Expansive sound stage, good recording and great music. Superb combination for a relaxing listening session! They will definitely be getting more play time on the rig.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    Options
    Santana is on my regular rotation for sure....
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    They look pretty damn awesome TroyD. Super nice good luck with them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    So much more WAF than the previous big boys in the SDA lineup. I like how they look.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    Options
    With the grills on, they are an extremely good looking speaker.

The grill is also very very well designed
  • TroyD
    Options
    Sans grills....I’m not a fan.

With the grills, I like them and I listen with grills on anyway.