R200's/Amps

Options
oldrocker
oldrocker Posts: 2,590
Will be setting up a new 2 channel streaming system.
Amp, pre, speakers "got em", streamer "on the way" that's it.

Curious if anyone is running something similar and what folks are powering their R200's with?

I've been running a Parasound 2250, it's more power than I really need.

Been looking at some smaller stuff.

Budget at 2k for amp and pre.

Open to anything, suggestions, GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    How about a nice integrated? I like Polk speakers like the L200 and R200 on Musical Fidelity stuff. Full, robust performance all around, smooth sound, good imaging.
    I disabled signatures.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    How about a nice integrated? I like Polk speakers like the L200 and R200 on Musical Fidelity stuff. Full, robust performance all around, smooth sound, good imaging.

Always an option.

TKS M.
  • msg
    Options
    @rooftop59 was telling me about a 2ch pre/pro that offers Dirac Live room correction. Something else to consider.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    I've been running a Parasound 2250, it's more power than I really need.

It is impossible to have too much power. Amp power is like money. The more you have, the better off you are.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Yipper, I get it on the power thing B) .

One other thing and it's a must, volume dial gotta have illumination.

I do like the Hint6, cept for dial :(
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    But it has a bright numerical display of the current volume setting. What's wrong with that?
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Well bat turds, missed that...
  • msg
    Options
    Yipper, I get it on the power thing B) .

One other thing and it's a must, volume dial gotta have illumination.

I do like the Hint6, cept for dial :(

You can always get some lume dots (stickers).
    That's what the pros do.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I will second the MF integrated suggestion. Sounds really good with my R200’s as well as my L200’s. The more and better the power … well you know the rest of the story.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Got one on my pre.

More I look at it, diggin the features on the 6.
    Parasound's served me quite well over years.

AA's got a demo about 450 off.

My luck Murphy would rear his ugly head on a demo.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Should still carry the manufacturer warranty should something go wrong with it. Parasound's service department is known to not stop until the customer is satisfied, should there be any issues.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    LOL look at this joker Audio Advisor quoted on the "Pro Reviews" page for the Hint 6! Why would anyone trust what that lunatic has to say??
    pp22yuclqaby.png
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Never had an issue with AA.

What, not buying D'money's review???
    Sounds like something ole Frankie would say :D

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Another vote for Musical Fidelity, they get it right. Period.

As for volume dials, you can always do the black dot mod.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    Options
    Specs on the M5si pdf sheet look good.
    62amps peak to peak. Hmmm.

Anyone running one of these?

Is the remote luminated? Kinda looks like it might be via pdf image.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Running the M5si.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    LOL look at this joker Audio Advisor quoted on the "Pro Reviews" page for the Hint 6! Why would anyone trust what that lunatic has to say??
    pp22yuclqaby.png

Don't get me started on that Jack wagon...

😁
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    pp22yuclqaby.png

Right? What a flake!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Specs on the M5si pdf sheet look good.
    62amps peak to peak. Hmmm.

Anyone running one of these?

Is the remote luminated? Kinda looks like it might be via pdf image.

Been running MF gear for a very long time, not that one though.

MF is not known for their remotes. In fact, unless they have improved them they pretty much suck and no, not luminated. I use a Harmony, which is luminated.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    Options
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I've got a M6si on order that is hopefully going to ship out to me today. They received it Wednesday. Really looking forward to how it sounds with my L600's.

AA has the M6si in stock as does Music Direct.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Congrats.

Been reading on the MF page. They have some nice goodies to consider which honestly, I never
    even considered them until now.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on yours.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Well crap, there is one more thing I forgot to mention when I started the thread.

Whatever I end up getting, I do want it to have a sub out. I didn't see any MF with that.
    Knowing me, I may have just missed that reading thru their data.

For my listening experience, I have tried over the years to get my ears away from subs and
    I always run the bass/treble flat.

I have no issues with sub(s) and have in the past, enjoyed them depending on the music, having
    that option is a priority for me.

I'll keep reading.

Oh and, THANKS guys B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    IF your sub has high level speaker wire inputs/outputs you could run it like a sub sat speaker system without the "sub out" feature.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    IF your sub has high level speaker wire inputs/outputs you could run it like a sub sat speaker system without the "sub out" feature.

Yep, done that in the past for sure.

Gonna have a question coming up in a bit, as always kind of goofy with me :D but I gotta get this
    clear in my mind. :*
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    If you WANT less power the Audiolab 6000a is 50wpc, has amp ins, preamp outs (which can be used for subs, and ability to just run as an integrated.

All kinds of possibilities with this one.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • CottageChz
    Options
    If you go with the older version of the HINT6, which I believe is simply called Halo Integrated, it has an illuminated line on the volume knob. I have it and it’s great.

Also, the Dayens Menuetto integrated sounds very nice with my Lsim703s. Not sure if anyone has run it with the new Reserve series but I expect it would sound good there too. No illuminated volume knob and a less full featured no-frills option for sure.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    The Hint6 specs say 45amps peak.
    M5si says 62amp peak.

I know watts don't mean squat.

Do the differences in peak ratings represent mostly only bigger power transformers or is it along with various types of better electronics inside to get the higher peak amps?

Sorry if that's a confusing question. Just trying to figure out which one has the better tech inside.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    How loud are you planning on listening? lol
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited February 2022
    Options
    The Hint6 specs say 45amps peak.
    M5si says 62amp peak.

I know watts don't mean squat.

Do the differences in peak ratings represent mostly only bigger power transformers or is it along with various types of better electronics inside to get the higher peak amps?

Sorry if that's a confusing question. Just trying to figure out which one has the better tech inside.

It could also have to do with the number of output transistors, their peak power ratings, and how well they are heat sinked. Ohms law still applies; they just chose to give peak amps instead of peak power into various impedance loads.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform