Amazing dealer demo this weekend.

Options
I was lucky enough to tag along with some friends to a fantastic local dealer this weekend. We spent several hours listening to some fantastic gear that I have only ever read about until now.

My favorite set-up (cost no object) ended up being the Wilson Benesch Resolution towers with the Dan D'Agustino Progression integrated amplifier. We listened to tracks on Tidal via several different Aurender streamers and Berkeley Audio DACs. The Wilson Benesch speakers are so easy to listen to. They did the best job of reproducing strings that I have ever heard.

For the cost and size I was also completely blown away by the Wilson Tune Tots. They defy logic as to how big they sound. I certainly understand why they are getting amazing reviews.

pd1vo94r6atg.jpg
8lgdn6szek9r.jpg
p3dd9smmp11a.jpg
kyypbcm0od97.jpg
Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
Revel F208, SVS SB-4000

Comments

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,019
    Options
    That looks like( or rather sounds like) an awesome way to spend a day. I’m jealous!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • guyincognito
    Options
    It was a lot of fun. Jumping between multiple pricepoint systems gave me perspective I previously didn't have. The price of diminishing returns is higher than I thought it was.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,687
    Options
    I've had a very hard time finding fault with any Wilson speaker I've heard.
    Good stuff!
  • guyincognito
    Options
    The big Wilson Alex V's with the Dan D'Agustino monoblocks sounded very good. Literally nothing to complain about at $135k for the speakers alone. That said I found the $80k Wilson Benesch Resolution towers more enjoyable. I think the Wilson's had a flatter response curve compared to the WB. Both sounded very good and both remain firmly outside of budget.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    It was a lot of fun. Jumping between multiple pricepoint systems gave me perspective I previously didn't have. The price of diminishing returns is higher than I thought it was.

That’s because it has moved higher.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,182
    Options
    What were your impressions of the Aurender servers?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I have an Aurender n100h paired with a Benchmark DAC2 HGC in my system currently. I heard improvements over the Bluesound Node 2 I replaced and I am a big fan of the conductor app and Aurender customer service and support

The dealer was using the Aurender N30SA with a Berkeley Audio Reference DAC on the big Wilson and Dan D'Agustino system. It sounded amazing but I don't have a point of reference for how much better that $25k streamer is than my entry level streamer.

The dealer did allow my friend to take an Aurender A10 home to do an in-house A/B comparison with his Aurilac Altair G1 (both streamer/DAC combos). On his system consisting of Sonis Faber Olympica Nova V's, PS Audio BHK signature preamp and BHK stereo 250 amplifier (in an untreated room). We all preferred the Aurilac over the Aurender when streaming Tidal and Qobuz. Both are enjoyable, but the Aurilac was more musical to us. The DAC in the Aurender felt more analytical. My take away was that I prefer Aurender streamers but not Aurenders DAC implementations.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,667
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Sounds like a fun day. I've heard the smaller Wilson Benesch towers at the California Audio Show (same model shown in your last photo, not sure if you heard those as well).

(not my photo)
    _DSF8834.jpg
  • guyincognito
    Options
    We listened to the Kef Referrnce (3's I think) and the Wilson Tune Tots but didn't ever switch over to the smaller Wilson Benesch towers. The two we did hear sounded very good with the Ypsilon integrated. I couldn't get over how good the Wilson Tune Tots sounded.

What did you think of the smaller Wilson Benesh towers when you heard them?
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Clipdat
    Options
    They were pretty good, but I actually liked these smaller ones (http://wilson-benesch.com/endeavour-stand-mounted-loudspeaker/) slightly better that I heard the previous year. Here's a photo I took of them:
    fh9ao4h3p02q.jpg

They were a little rough around the edges on the first few days of the show since they were brand new, but by day three they were sounding better.
  • Clipdat
    Options

I have the brand new A200 in for review right now.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Bring it over and we can try it out with my setup... :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I know, that would be fun. I don't have any audiophile buddies in the area who like tweaking their systems.

I think one consideration regarding Aurender is if you plan on having a local library of files, or not. Even though the A200 doesn't come with internal storage like the A100 did, it has two easily accessible rear drive bays where you can add a 3.5" HDD/SSD.

So if local files are a priority, the Aurender is a solid choice in terms of usability and UI. However, I still need to explore library management and the challenge of keeping two databases of music updated/synced. I'm not sure how people do this in terms of purchasing new tracks.

Anyway sorry for the stream of consciousness post, but I guess what I'm getting at is are you planning on streaming with Tidal/Qobuz or are you planning on having a local library of files, or both?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,604
    Options
    I like stream of consciousness posts and thoughtful writing. Don't apologize for your writing just because some people are unable to focus through their next barrage of phone notifications.
    I disabled signatures.
  • guyincognito
    Options
    I
    Clipdat wrote: »

I have the brand new A200 in for review right now.

Do you have any plans to try the A200 with an external DAC by chance? I would be curious what your impressions are between the built in DAC and something else in your arsenal.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Sure! I can try it just as a streaming transport connected to my SA-KI Ruby.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I know, that would be fun. I don't have any audiophile buddies in the area who like tweaking their systems.

I think one consideration regarding Aurender is if you plan on having a local library of files, or not. Even though the A200 doesn't come with internal storage like the A100 did, it has two easily accessible rear drive bays where you can add a 3.5" HDD/SSD.

So if local files are a priority, the Aurender is a solid choice in terms of usability and UI. However, I still need to explore library management and the challenge of keeping two databases of music updated/synced. I'm not sure how people do this in terms of purchasing new tracks.

Anyway sorry for the stream of consciousness post, but I guess what I'm getting at is are you planning on streaming with Tidal/Qobuz or are you planning on having a local library of files, or both?

I have well north of a TB of stuff stored already on my PC, but I would like to get those files onto a dedicated server, along with streaming sources. I may use Tidal going forward, because it can sort everything in one place.

• Clipdat
    Options
    Sounds like an Aurender product might fit your use case then. Would be interested in comparing the A200's internal DAC vs the DAC in your Arcam.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Sounds like an Aurender product might fit your use case then. Would be interested in comparing the A200's internal DAC vs the DAC in your Arcam.

Bring it over and let's make it happen.

• Clipdat
    Options
    Lol stop acting like you're 30 mins down the road.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,198
    edited February 2022
    Options

by plane...

;)

• guyincognito
    Options
    My Aurender N150h came with 2TB of internal storage (but they have larger drive options available). I play a mix of local files as well as streaming Tidal and Qobuz. The Aurender Conducter app is fantastic. You can mix and match content and build Playlists from local files and both streaming services. Its Linux based and seems very stable in the long run (ive had mine around a year now i think). Aurender also has long term tech support and great customer service on their products. I have been very pleased with mine.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Clipdat
    Options
    How do you purchase/manage/organize your local files and then copy them to the Aurender? I'm assuming a PC/Mac where the music first gets downloaded to? How do you keep the two databases in sync?
  • guyincognito
    Options
    It's been awhile but from what I recall you can add files from an external hard drive plugged directly into the unit or from a computer on the same network. You have to enable file sharing in the aurender settings menu if you do it over the network (via the conductor app) but after that it was all easy enough. You manage existing local files via computer as well, assuming so you don't accidentally delete stuff from while using the app.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

Where do you live?

• Clipdat
    Options
    I'm up in the SF bay area.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    It's been awhile but from what I recall you can add files from an external hard drive plugged directly into the unit or from a computer on the same network. You have to enable file sharing in the aurender settings menu if you do it over the network (via the conductor app) but after that it was all easy enough. You manage existing local files via computer as well, assuming so you don't accidentally delete stuff from while using the app.

Thank you, got it showing up now on the network and copying files to it from my Windows machine.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I'm up in the SF bay area.

It’s not that far grab a flight into Burbank and I will come and get you. Then you can fly back in the evening....

• Clipdat
    Options
    I **** hate flying lol, more now than ever. I'm still debating if I should even bother going to Axpona in April.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Just arrange an in-home demo with a local dealer if you are that interested in Aurender. Isn't Upscale close to you?