Forum member MW magnet repair tool set

Options
For forum members with 100 posts, I'll send out an MW magnet resetting tool.
I turned down the length of the dowel to get the magnet jig and dowel in smallest USPS Priority box. ($10).
When you're done, just send it to the next member in need.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184474/magnet-shift-repair-solved-for-me-that-is/p3
Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Hi Rob.

Very nice offer!

I'd love to fix a few or more I've been saving. I've just been doing other stuff instead of building one out of PVC.

I'd like to be the first to start off.

Do you recommend cutting the dust cap off?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Very nice offer Rob.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,694
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Hi Rob.

Very nice offer!

I'd love to fix a few or more I've been saving. I've just been doing other stuff instead of building one out of PVC.

I'd like to be the first to start off.

Do you recommend cutting the dust cap off?

Do not cut off dust cap unless you are phase-plugging them. You can easily re-set by gently pushing on woofer as it faces up and even fine tune with a penlight looking into dustcap. You can also keep the woofer hooked up and playing AT LOW VOLUME while adjusting screws.

Send me your adress in a PM.

And I think you're good on a hunnerd posts lol

F1 is post king.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    Killer offer!!! Very nice of you Rob..
  • Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    Options
    Now If only I was a prolific writer I would have 100 posts. Nice offer for sure!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Rob (or TonyM), I would like to be next in line to receive the jig please. I really want to resurrect my original silver basket MW6500 drivers. Unfortunately, one of them I glued the magnets prematurely thinking I had fixed the problem which I thought was only confined to a cracked spider. I believe both of these have shifted magnets. I figure this will be the best ones to attempt the phase plug mod to as well. Kill two birds with one stone and I feel more comfortable doing surgery on ones that have nothing to lose :), for the first time.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    I would like to keep it for awhile and use it as a piece of modern art.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Tony M
    Options
    Rob (or TonyM), I would like to be next in line to receive the jig please. I really want to resurrect my original silver basket MW6500 drivers. Unfortunately, one of them I glued the magnets prematurely thinking I had fixed the problem which I thought was only confined to a cracked spider. I believe both of these have shifted magnets. I figure this will be the best ones to attempt the phase plug mod to as well. Kill two birds with one stone and I feel more comfortable doing surgery on ones that have nothing to lose :), for the first time.

I just put you in the #2 spot. ;)
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Thanks Tony. Thank god I didn't use JBWeld on the magnet, just Gorilla Max Strength construction adhesive. Will be difficult enough to remove as it is :#
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    Kryten wrote: »
    Now If only I was a prolific writer I would have 100 posts. Nice offer for sure!

If you need it, you are welcome to it. After Gstater is done, just contact him.

• Kryten
    Options
    Sweet. I have 3 shifted drivers that I know of and another pair to check. I had planned to ship them to @lawdogg and take advantage of his generous offer to repair them for free. Better to be self sufficient (with a little help from my friends B) ).
  • xschop
    Options
    Repair kit is on it's way to Tony.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Hi ROB.

I received your "works of ART" tonight. B):p

This is my 1st and I want to do what these awesome tools were designed to do perfectly.

Now...can you list the steps to do this. I planned on putting an arrow on the top of the woofer plate to show the direction to go toward.

I know I need to free up the voice coil. The direction I need to move the magnet is clear.

So, what happens when I have unfrozen the voice coil?

Will the magnet then be centered by the rod you provided after that so the rim of the magnet can be glued to the frame plate?
  • xschop
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Step 1.
    Set the woofer cone down on a smooth, perfectly flat surface and take a picture of it directly above.

Step 2.
    If the pole-piece plate perimeter and magnet perimeter look evenly concentric to each other, then you are in luck as the culprit is the magnet-to-baseplate has shifted and you don't have to pull the magnet/pole-piece apart from baseplate nor use the dowel to recenter them.

Step 3.
    Make sure magnet perimeter is perfectly clean near pole-piece perimeter. This is where the inner jig step/lip rests and automatically aligns all set screws.

Step 4.
    Retract all Set screws until the ID of the jig has none protruding on the inside.

Step 5
    Set the inner step/lip on the magnet top perimeter, then evenly lock the baseplate down with the baseplate set screws. Tighten only hand tight .

Step 6

Position pole-piece set screws on the pole-piece perimeter loosely.

Step 7

Flip the jig and woofer over. Adjust pole-piece perimeter set screws, using a pen-light to see into dust cap, viewing the pole piece/voice coil ID gap. Then adjust incrementally 1/8 -1/4 turns until the woofer if free by lightly pushing on the cone. You can also play audio through woofer AT LOW VOLUME until you hear it free up.

Step 8

Once reset, gently unscrew all base plate setcrews fully, without any showing in the jig ID. Then carefully, ONLY loosen the pole-piece set screws and carefully lift the woofer out of jig. Flip it back over and start your glue process on the magnet perimeters.

Note*

I've had very good results with Superglue Gel as it is quick and easy and holds mega strong. You only need a thin line of it and it wicks into crevices.

Post edited by xschop on
  • Tony M
    Options
    I'll do that now. ;)

It will take a few minutes. I'll get an Allen wrench to fit also.
  • xschop
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Allen wrench should be 9/64", but 1/8" works better in the non-magnetic stainless setscrews.
  • Tony M
    edited February 2022
    Options
    The 1/8" size seemed to work/fit great for me tonight. :)
  • Tony M
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Ok...

It was such a beautiful day today, I went to go buy a new antenna for my 95 Camry and saw my neighbor at the road. He can diagnose many problems. He said he'd be glad to see why my old antenna I bought in 2017 wasn't working and never has. I pulled my car back in.

We got right to it and yup, no power antenna functions. We were highly perplexed.

He went to lunch, and I said I'd take the thing apart while he was gone.

I found nothing wrong at that point, so I put my old original one back in. I secured the broken mast in a 3/4 position. Great reception again.

Tony came back and we did some more tests since it was out of the car. It took some more surgery but we found the electronic board was fried. Burnt s@*t everywhere. That was the problem. :D

So I bought a package that had been opened before. BIG MISTAKE to begin with!

That's done but it took all afternoon till 6:30. Now it's too late to go to Lowe's for glue.

What is the best superglue gel I should get tomorrow? = I went to look on-line and there's a bunch of brands of superglue gels. :o

I want to glue up about 20 woofers.

I looked through the threads again until I got tired. I saw the Gorilla glue mentioned.

Loctite Power Grab too.

Are these my 2 best proven choices to use?
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I haven't watched this but this guy on youtube does some fantastic adhesives testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vR15u0vmms
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Sorry man. I watched it and he didn't even come up with a final conclusion. I'd say Elmers, but frankly I wouldn't worry about it too much :) I don't think he tested the gel versions. The Original said gel for porcelain and regular for steel. No idea why. Seems it is more a matter of tightness of joints.

1gexn2tp5w34.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    The gel version won't run or possibly drip on the cone.also it is best glue for fixing the loose terminal tabs I've found. To each his own glue.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Going to Lowe's Home Imp. now to get some super glue gel. I like the price of Gorilla glue gel.

I wanted to get something else there but damn if I can remember what. :s
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    gloves? masking tape? dial caliper? Hey I took a shot :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Tony M
    Options
    I had to move my car so I could take my truck and get some gas. My wife, standing at the back door asked, are you going to get bird seed?

That's it..LOL, plus we just used our last suet block a couple of days ago.

We've been getting our feathered friends their food from there for 25 years or more. We love hearing the birds chirping and also having different birds raising broods in all of our boxes.

I just had a Piliated woodpecker kind-of over my head way up in a tree beside the driveway yacking away for some reason. Now that HUGE bird would never come down to our feeders and I don't have a box big enough for those guys, but it's been nice to see one almost every year.

They're big as a Hawk. And that chirp or yack is LOUD and so is it's pecking. Sounds like a man chopping wood with a jack-hammer. :D

I've got enough gloves to last 5 more years maybe.
    Just bought an electronic Caliper to do those Wuhan domes I believe it was 2 years ago or less.
    I could use some more Blue Tape. I'll be in that isle so maybe I'll pick some of that up. Thanks. :D
  • Tony M
    Options
    I bought Gorilla Glue Gel.

Came home, ate dinner and then went to release the Jig.

SNAP! back to frozen. :'( I had unscrewed ALL the screws. :s

I then had a hard time freeing it up. I knew how to do it, but most projects take 5 times as long as it should. I tried for an hour...not even close to being free again after MANY different adjusting directions I tried. I was about to completely give up. I just couldn't free it up. :'(

I took a 5-10 min. break. During that time, I reread your instructions.
    Rob, I had read your instructions last night and thought...what did I do different from what you directed me to do? I saw my mistake in #8.

Step 8
    Once reset, gently unscrew all base plate setcrews fully, without any showing in the jig ID. Then carefully, ONLY loosen the pole-piece set screws and carefully lift the woofer out of jig. Flip it back over and start your glue process on the magnet perimeters.

To free up the woofer I then applied a different method that worked pretty fast.
    I looked at which direction the magnet and exposed plate had to move toward and then used "2" screws in conjunction to push instead of "1" screw being the one to push.

I would tighten them down just enough to touch. Then I would loosen just a touch, the 2 screws where the magnet had to go. Then I tightened one screw just a little to move the magnet. Then the other screw a tiny bit to move it a tiny bit more. So, I was pushing the magnet with 2 screws and the magnet seemed to slide with ease little by little. :p

In backing out the 2 screws in the direction the magnet had to go in, Movement of the magnet ALWAYS had 2 directions to go in with no restriction as long as when the the first of the 2 screws was tightened to move the magnet, I left JUST a smidgen of backing it off. Then when the second screw was tightened, the magnet was free to move again.

To me...tonight I learned to loosen 2, tighten 2 to move in a direction between 4 points. Imagine a pizza cut into 4 slices. I made one slice move in the direction the point is facing by a screw on the outer points of the crust.

Yesterday AND tonight before I figured it out, I had a pizza cut in half method, and was trying to push 1/2 of it from it's middle on the outside center edge of the crust with one screw. It works, but you have 3 other points to adjust as you do it this way. :#
    I was doing this project with a beginner's mind.

For some reason, last night only, I was able to do it within 20 min or so each time. I thought I had it figured out...nope, I didn't know how much easier it could be if I just concentrated on using 2 screws to push the magnet in the direction it needs to go.

One should figure what direction the magnet needs to go in, call that NORTH.
    Then place 2 of the JIG screws in a SE and SW position of that north. Later, tightening both screws slowly will move the magnet NORTH ward.

Both of the NE and NW screws will have to be loosened a tiny bit BEFORE the tightening of the other 2 Southern screws.

It happens pretty FAST too. So TINY increments are the key. PATIENCE pays off.
    Loosen 2 , tighten 2. :D

I then applied Step #8. ;)
    The Jig came off and no snap. <3

I was so pleased I had accomplished my FIRST magnet shift repair thanks to your Jig ROB and you other guys for your advice and guidance.

I applied the glue in 4 wide bands where they need to go under the wide portions of the basket. Gluing the magnet to the frame plate. I have yet to glue the magnet to the pole plate since it was still ok. I will tomorrow for sure.

yfzd3swliiad.jpg

mqw6kmqxp8ry.jpg

This picture really shows how many times I had tried to free this woofer. :s Look at that bottom plate.

mhlwnt0xcvql.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't take any pics of the woofer in the Jig.

The woofer is moving VERY freely now. B) A lot better than all the other times I thought were close enough.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I'll get the Jig moving on to @Gardenstater now asap.

Just PM me your address.
  • xschop
    Options
    Nice job. Chances are, you'll send it out, then find your other woofers next day.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Nice job Tony and very clear explanation/tutorial! I can't speak for Kryten but as far as I'm concerned you should find your other MW's while you have the jig. I'm in no hurry at all.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Kryten
    Options
    Just for fun, start a note card for the number of trips and distance the jig travels and include it. The next guy can update it and send it along.
  • Tony M
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Nice job Tony and very clear explanation/tutorial! I can't speak for Kryten but as far as I'm concerned you should find your other MW's while you have the jig. I'm in no hurry at all.

It will take a long time to do the Tetris Shuffle in my back room. I can always pay to have it shipped back to me if it's ok with Rob.

I have 30 minutes to ship it off. Otherwise, it will go out Tuesday because of President's Day Holiday on Mon. I believe.

PM me your address. If I don't get it quick, I WILL have a couple of days to Tetris some stuff in search of those 3 woofers.

It looks like I have a couple of days to get searching again.
    I'm going out now to start searching in places I couldn't get to before.
    Post edited by Tony M on