Need to identify these Polk monitor 10's

I know the drivers were updated to 6503 and i think the tweeters were upgraded, but not sure what they are. They ohm out at 5.6 ohms across the terminals with the wires disconnected. They have beveled cabinets. I want to know what upgrades i can do to them, tweeters, crossover etc. Thanks

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Monitor 10 series 2, completely stock.
    0kro9ouzant3.jpg

Missing the binding post nuts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Answer ✓
    Replace tweeters with RDO198-1
    Replace caps and resistors. The values are printed on the components. Replace the mustard colored polyswitch with a 0.5 ohm resistor.

The forum is full of crossover upgrade info.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,137
    Answer ✓
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/38755/polk-audio-speaker-wiring-schematics-amp-more-all-models-except-sda#latest

Look particularly at the one with filename schematic_m10_sl300mod.pdf

JC Mod Project 089 SL3000, Designed 10/14/88, Approved 6/12/89, Drawn 7/21/89

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform

Answers

• Is there any upgrades i can do to the tweeters and crossovers?

Thanks for the info
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2022
    I looked at all your pictures and I'm scratching my head at the "M5Jr" sticker which it clearly is not a 5Jr crossover! Another weird thing is that your crossover doesn't really match the one we have dated a little later than yours at 3/23/90. That is the only schematic we have with the SL2500 specified. Maybe yours is a transitionary one. You have 2 resistors where the schematic shows one and you have a 34uf capacitor where the schematic shows 27uf. Also, this schematic shows no fuse or polyswitch but you have a polyswitch. There could be other differences but not all the values are visible.

I think it is possible that yours is a speaker that came with the SL2000 that someone did the tl mod to, but they didn't use the SL3000, they used the SL2500. Check out the schematic dated 5/17/89 and the SL3000 mod one dated 6/12/89 and compare yours to those. Unless you have a weird looking SL3000 that doesn't have the gold tint to the dome, but has the black one like in the SL2500. Hmmm.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • The guy i got them from says he remembers upgrading the tweeters and had to solder something in so the new tweeters would work, he said he changed the mids at the same time, so according to the picture that was done in 2000. So maybe this is a hybrid as you suggest.

Where can i find the schematics you suggested? i looked everywhere and cant find them.

Thanks,
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited January 2022
    bagis01 wrote: »
    The guy i got them from says he remembers upgrading the tweeters and had to solder something in so the new tweeters would work, he said he changed the mids at the same time, so according to the picture that was done in 2000. So maybe this is a hybrid as you suggest.

Where can i find the schematics you suggested? i looked everywhere and cant find them.

Thanks,

It looks like he soldered on the quick connect so it would fit the larger tab of the SL2500/3000 tweeter. Why did he switch the mids, do you know?

6o8rf4bg9vfj.png
  • Little kids poked their fingers through them LOL
  • Look particularly at the one with filename schematic_m10_sl300mod.pdf

Thanks, that matches what i have on my crossovers now.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Looking at that positive tweeter lead it makes me think those did not come with the SL2500/3000 tweeter. To get those tweeters to work correctly you may need to do XO work.

Looking at the schematic those were SL2000 crossover.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/4/6/7/2/8/18776.pdf
  • Gardenstater
    bagis01 wrote: »
    Look particularly at the one with filename schematic_m10_sl300mod.pdf

Thanks, that matches what i have on my crossovers now.

You're welcome. You will have to check the inductor somehow to determine if he properly swapped that out. Was originally 0.4mH. Should now be 0.27mH and 0.5 Ohm DCR. That will be impossible to do without the proper test equipment.

He most likely messed up in that he should've swapped the SL2000 out for the SL3000, but used a SL2500 instead. Since you want to upgrade to RDO-198-1 anyway, not really that much of a problem!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited January 2022
    Nm
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine