I'm rethinking adding a second KEF KC62 sub...

Options
Even though I'm a big advocate of running with dual subs for 2 channel, having the single KEF KC62 now for a few months my thought process is changing. The beauty of this little beast is the ability of easily moving it around your room to try it in multiple locations which I have done. With larger sized subs you're pretty much limited to placement...not with this guy.

A couple of my go to bass heavy music tracks that give a sub a good workout:
The Beatles - LOVE - Because
Adele - 25 Adele - I Miss You
James Taylor - Hourglass - Gaia
Nenad Vasilia - Bass Room - the entire album
Just a few to get things rocking. A side note though if your speakers & sub aren't up to the task, BEWARE!! Especially with the volume cranking.

My room is 3k cubic feet & the KEF KC62 pressurizes the room without breaking a sweat. No matter what I threw at it it simply laughed & kept on rocking! The bass is rock solid, musical & what it adds to the entire soundscape is incredible. Everything just opens up & the overall musical presentation is elevated to another listening level. So this new experience has really got me scratching my head & wondering if I really need to add a second??

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    Options
    Yes!!!!

And 2 more, one per corner!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Yes!!!!

And 2 more, one per corner!

That would be awesome!!! Let me mull that though over. 🤔
    Laughing as I type...if one is this incredible I can only imagine what 4 would be like. 🎶🎶🎶🎶 and then some.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • VR3
    Options
    The best arrangement is all four corners ceiling and floor, 8 total
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,605
    Options
    I wouldn't consider those tracks to be bass-heavy whatsoever.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Bass is in the 👂 of the beholder ! MORE THUMP!!! MORE THUMP!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,333
    Options
    I'm surprised Trey didn't say that a sub is needed in the powder room and closets too. 😁

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    Exactly... infinite baffles to replace the actual house piers is the only way to go... whole house subwoofer
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2022
    Options
    My room is 3k cubic feet & the KEF KC62 pressurizes the room without breaking a sweat. No matter what I threw at it it simply laughed & kept on rocking! The bass is rock solid, musical & what it adds to the entire soundscape is incredible. Everything just opens up & the overall musical presentation is elevated to another listening level. So this new experience has really got me scratching my head & wondering if I really need to add a second??

For awhile there I was drawn to the idea of a set of LS50W and two Kef R400b subs for music listening in my 1664 ft³ living room. I haven't gotten there as the room is now a dual living room / w.f.h. office space. The simple desk system I put together is a start and has given me an idea what a small system can do in the room.

Imo, the dual opposed Kef R400b and the new super wonder KC62 are small subs for those with limited space. Those that want the most sound out of a small package. Of course these subs cost more than single driver subs.

At $1500, if the single yet incredible KEF KC62 is doing it for you in your 3000 ft³, then that's pretty freaking cool. However, the thought of $3000 for two, when your room is not small at 3000 ft³.... I wonder about the value, fair exchange for your money. Is that the best option for ultimate bass? $3000 can buy a lot. Only you can answer this one.

4 x RSL Speedwoofer 10S ( 4 subs Floyd Toole approach) - $399 each / $1596 total

2 x REL T/7x - $1099 each / $2198 total

2 x Rythmik Audio F12 - $1099/$1199 each / $2198 / $2398 Total

4 x Rythmik Audio L12 ( 4 subs Floyd Toole approach) - $609 each / $2436 total

2 x JL Audio Dominion d110-ASH/GLOSS - $1300/$1400 each / $2600 / $2800 total

3 x Rythmik Audio F12-400 (3 sub Todd Welti approach) - $899 each / $2667 total

2 x REL T/9x - $1499 each / $2998 total

1 x The SWARM Subwoofer System ( 4 subs Floyd Toole approach) - $3200
    https://www.audiokinesis.com/the-swarm-subwoofer-system-1.html

3 x REL T/7x (3 sub Todd Welti approach) - $1099 each / $3297 total

2 x Rythmik Audio E15/E15HP2 - $1399/$1729 / $2798 / $3458 total

2 x Rythmik Audio G22 dual opposed - Price: $1549/$1749 each / $3098 / $3498 total

1 x DEBRA Distributed Enhanced Bass Reflex Array ( 4 subs Floyd Toole approach) - $3800
    https://jamesromeyn.com/audiokinesis-speaker-models/debra/

1 x Velodyne DD10+ - $4590

Dealing with room modes & frequency nulls

ajjxnpi8yct0.png
    8fy7ht6opjjf.png

Interesting feedback from others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11XfcFwTNK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPwGE114H8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hz8HIrEnZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltnmxoVUiA0

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Excellent info. The SWARM & DEBRA we're an interesting read. Truth be told though...I found my Huckleberry. The KC62 is really that good that I really don't have to look elsewhere. My only delima now is whether or not to add a second one. 🤔
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2022
    Options
    1 x Velodyne DD10+ - $4590??? Geez they went up. I have 2 of them and they retailed for around $3200.00 each at the time I got them. So for the same sub, it's $1390.00 more??? They are remarkable subs but I wouldn't pay that much for one. I think I might look into SVS flagships models and compare.
    We carry JL audio and they are damn pricey as well.

Back to the thread, You absolutely need one more sub to cover that room properly. Placement is always key.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I hear ya Dan about adding another KC62 but I have to go with what I'm hearing with just a single KC62. It's more than satisfying to say the least. Not to say that things may change down the road. Lol. You know how things go.😃
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    In my rooms I had two subwoofers, my best was in opposite corners on the diagonal. It really wasn't MORE bass per say it was smoother and more even throughout the room. It didn't seem to overload any one spot
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Excellent info. The SWARM & DEBRA we're an interesting read. Truth be told though...I found my Huckleberry. The KC62 is really that good that I really don't have to look elsewhere. My only delima now is whether or not to add a second one. 🤔
    Your room is pretty large so I think anyone reading this post will agree that a second sub is the way to go.... especially when the size of the drivers are 6.5" each!

However, the older larger dual 9" Kef R400b is the wonder before the wonder that the KC62 gets its roots from. This seems like the more obvious choice for a room of your size.... or its successor, the new $2000 dual 9" KF92.... that few talk about or have reviewed. Still, even if you'd gotten either of the 9" versions, I bet you would be still wondering about duals at a cost of $3000-$4000!

You pay more for the small size compared to to dual Rhythmic's but, I'm sure you will figure things out. You're a diehard KEF fan so its understandable, they offer some cool stuff. I can't lie, I bet a set of LS50 Wireless II, stands, and two KC62's would be very nice in my smaller space. I'm a KEF fan as well, but have only owned one of their products.
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Having a combo HT / 2 channel system for quite some time I decided to split the two systems. I also have dual Velo SPL 1200 R subs that were doing quite nicely for both HT / 2 channel & take up a lot of room. Splitting the system was my reason for another sub strictly for 2 channel & was limited to a smaller footprint sub.

I did listen to the KF92 which is also a superb sub. I almost went with one until my dealer told me about the KC62 which was almost ready to be released. Fast forward to present & having the KC62 for a few months now.

The little bugger simply eats the twin Velos for lunch when it comes to 2 channel music...simply incredible!

The new technology poured into this sub has really paid off. The drivers may be small but the end results are all that matters. A lot of firsts in it's design.

I do have room for a second but for now the single KC62 is all that's needed.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,605
    Options
    Well well well, what have we here?!
    ttdhfd79h4jh.jpg
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Should be fun with your metas.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Well well well, what have we here?!
    ttdhfd79h4jh.jpg

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on this one
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Safe & sound I see. Good things come to those who wait.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I'm surprised Trey didn't say that a sub is needed in the powder room and closets too. 😁

Tom

I'm sure brown notes have been heard in the powder room
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a